Does anyone ever get any sleep the night before surgery?

Cee *.
on 7/3/09 5:39 pm
I mean, really?

I know I won't. Too excited, too nervous. I was that way during the first days of every school year, the day before a new job, before the other surgeries I had, the night before my wedding, the days before my babe was born, and so on.

Its not that I'm not secure in my reasons for surgery...never that. It's just the fear of the unknown. If I could fast forward until the recovery room, I'd be set.
Carla C.
on 7/3/09 9:59 pm - Norfolk, VA
It will be like I am 6 years old again and waiting for Christmas morning.  I am just looking forward to getting my protein drinks again..  I think I am the only one that really likes the taste of them.. Have not found one I don't like yet.

AshleyDillo
on 7/4/09 4:42 am - Tallahassee, FL

I doubt I'll be able to sleep either.  I have to be at the hospital at 5:30am and I have to get up and take a shower with some special soap 30 minutes before I go in!

On top of that I'm working the day before my surgery and trying to get all my school work completed for the week ahead of time!!

I wonder if being completely exhausted will affect my recovery. 

RNY: 7/2009

HW:  361   SW: 320  CW:  157.6

KristeMitchell
on 7/4/09 5:01 am
I feel the same way! I know that I will be fine but its always the what ifs.  I just want to be in the recovery room too! This week is going to go by very fast! Hopefull!

Good luck to you!

Theresa D.
on 7/4/09 7:01 am - Chula Vista, CA
I was wondering the same thing myself. I work the NOC shift and I took 2 vacation days for Sat & Sun to turn myself around. I'm having my surgery Monday and have to be there at 6am; I too have to get up at extra early to shower with the Betadine. I can see me not sleeping cuz I'm going to be afraid of over sleeping or something LOL
Good luck to all that are having the surgery soon and may it be uneventful with a speedy recovery after :)

Don’t cry because it is over. Smile because it happened. –Dr. Suess

30 lbs lost - Pre-OP

kimwebb71
on 7/4/09 9:04 am - IL
i too will probably not get any sleep the night before surgery . i'll have to get up at about 1;30 in the morning to shower . the hospital where i am having surgery is three states away so we will have to leave at 2;30 in the morning to make it there by 5;30. i'm very familar with ther route but my dh has only driven it once sho i'll have  to stay awake to navigate as if i'll be able to sleep any7ways.  i've been contemplating surgery for about ten years and actively  going for it for two years i can't belive the day is finally here. i'm excited and scared all together. i wish everyone luck in their journey. all the best. kim
Cee *.
on 7/4/09 9:54 am
I wish everyone the greatest success with their surgeries. I look forward to talking with y'all post-op.
raftinglady30
on 7/4/09 11:40 am
 I didn't think I would but I got sick the day before so that really helped me sleep. I did wake up really early. Hope you do get some sleep and I'm a newby from surgery and even with the pain and I had a few complications I wouldn't hesitate to do it all over again. Everything will go great for you I know. I'll be thinking about ya!
Cee *.
on 7/4/09 2:51 pm
Thank you. How long were/are you in pain?
raftinglady30
on 7/4/09 5:44 pm
 I still am in pain but its not horrible either. The thing they say is very true..walking is the best cure for everything. After surgery I sure didn't want to move but I did and on Friday I had to travel home from the hospital which took us about 7 hrs due to traffic and I didn't walk as much as I should have and it hurt worse. Getting up and walking clears out the gas pressure which is the main source of the pain for me anyway. Don't worry about it too much. Don't chase after the pain. Once you feel it start hitting you get the nurse or hit the pain pump. Now, I have gotten where I can go almost 10-12 hrs without needing anything for pain so it will get better! You won't be sorry you went through this as even if the pain is kinda bad in the beginning remember its only a temporary problem to a long term solution. Best of luck in your journey!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello 2009ers!!!!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 834 views
weight gain
sexyshoediva · 3 replies · 708 views
Still trucking along
babyface12 · 1 replies · 948 views
2013 Update
2_be_me_again · 1 replies · 1038 views
4 Years!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 1066 views