Recent Posts

janni
on 2/4/08 9:44 pm - NJ
Topic: RE: Almost 4 yrs. out and feeling out of control
If you haven't dealt with the issues that caused you to overeat in the first place these things are going to happen. I was doing great but recently gained about 6 pounds (yeah, I know it's only 6 pounds but you all know that 6 becomes 10 becomes 20 becomes 50...) and I can trace it back to something happening that brought back all those feelings of insecuity and fear that caused my problems in the first place. Thought I had dealt with them with therapy but there they were. It has happened before and I did get through it and I'll get through this. Give yourself a break, many people just transfer their addictions to drugs sex or alcohol. The good news is that you can get back on track. I did it by going cold turkey back to protein powder and ate the way I did right after surgery. (I'm not recommending this, it just worked for me) )My stomach shrank back down and it reminded me of what I had gone through and how far I had come. I'm going to do that again, and I'm going to take a harder look at what it is that causes me to stumble. I don't think I'll ever really be okay until deal with all that. Good luck and keep your head up, you can do this!
Citygerl
on 8/26/07 3:49 am - New York, NY
Topic: 4 years out
Hi All, Congrats on 4 years out. I hit it yesterday. Still doing fine except I seem to be dumping much more now. Even whole grains make me dump. So I'm writing it all down and moving forward. Feel good mostly. Accomplished. Finished my college degree last year. I guess, I'm a thrill seeker, 'cause since surgery I have had a major leap in my life every year. It's been great. Just checking in. Hope you all are doing well, Brynne
JaneN
on 8/9/07 12:30 am - Houston, TX
Hi there, I'm 4 years postop and have also regained. I initially weighed 305 - lost down to 195, then on year 2 gained up to 209. Panic set in. I joined a "Quick Weight Loss" diet plan and lost 30 lbs on a VERY rigid diet (carrots were forbidden b/c they have sugar!). Needless to say as soon as the diet ended, the 30 lbs came back, along with more. Now I weigh 215. Here's what I'm trying to do...I'm working with an eating disorder therapist using the "Intuitive Eating" approach. That's a book I highly recommend to all of us with eating issues. I'm also trying to be grateful that I weigh 215 and no longer have hypertension, gastric reflux, joint pain or sleep apnea. The truth is if I'd not had surgery 4 years ago I'd probably weigh 350 by now at the rate I was continuing to gain weight! I'm also trying to forgive myself for being human. Many many years ago, I learned to use eating as a means of survival and coping. Not a healthy means, but it has gotten me to this point in life. Now I must be kind to myself as I learn new ways to live. Congratulations on the postop weight you have acheived and continue to be as kind to yourself as you possibly can. Jane
(deactivated member)
on 8/7/07 2:55 pm - Genoa City, WI
Topic: 4 yr Bandiversary 8-6-07
I got an email from OH a couple days ago saying Happy Anniversary! Took me a moment to realize wow....I completely forgot until I got this email. My bandiversary completely went past me, not even a glimpse of it or a thought in my brain. I'm not at goal, I'm no where near goal. Granted, I'm still down 60+lbs.....but I would have thought I'd be at goal already. My port has broken twice. I've been diagnosed with not only the Insulin Resistance, but with PCOS too...and I feel like everything is a battle. I can eat the things I'm supposed to, and exercise 1 hour per day, and I still bounce up and down the same 6lbs. Those same 6 dreaded pounds that if they would just disappear would put me in the next ten bracket. Why can't they just disappear? Do they not realize that their persistance is breaking me? That they are my fears rising, my pain pronouncing itself yet again? My friends tell me that I weigh too much, I weigh too often....you're sabotaging yourself. Ok...some theories say weigh once a week...some every couple weeks.....some say that one daily weigh in is good as it keeps you in check. I agree with the latter...if I didn't weigh every day... I would have already climbed back up on the numbers and felt further defeated. I just feel lost. Broken. I know that I've lost 60+lbs, and I've kept those off for 4 years....but what about the other 90-100 I want to lose? Why can't I seem to break thru the hurdle and get moving? I eat perfect, I stay the same... I eat poorly, I stay the same. I've decided to call in and get another fill adjustment. I don't have much room left per CC's.... I know it can hold a little more than what the manufacturer lists it at.....but right now I'm at 3.75CC's.... Will the next .1 or .15 make a difference? Please tell me it will. Please tell me that the little bit can make a difference, and might, just might make a difference in breaking what seems to be an eternal plateau.
(deactivated member)
on 8/7/07 2:51 pm - Genoa City, WI
You're not alone. I came back to OH feeling the same way. Why am I not at goal yet? Hopefully in returning, and like you said coming to these boards, we can make the much needed changes.
Gail L.
on 7/31/07 11:47 pm - Cleveland, OH
Topic: Almost 4 yrs. out and feeling out of control
Haven't been here in a long time and I'm looking for support from folks who've gone through this - lost their way and returned. I have gained back 25 lbs. and feel totally FAT again. Can't seem to control myself any more. I seem to be able to eat anything, sugar doesn't bother me, even quantity isn't a big problem. I know what I'm doing wrong: grazing, too many carbs, not enough exercise but seem to be back in old mind-set that got me were I was before. Just reading posts here from you folks has helped some (at least as long as I'm here at the computer reading - can't guarantee it will work when I get out in the kitchen!) I just can't believe I went through all of this 4 yrs. ago and now I still can't control my eating!! What's wrong with me?
Gail L.
on 7/31/07 11:28 pm - Cleveland, OH
Topic: RE: almost 4 years out now
Hi Jennifer, I haven't been here in a long time either, since my 4 yr. anniversary is coming up I decided to come here to see if there was any support with folks in my situation. I never did reach my goal weight but was very pleased with what I lost (90 lbs.)and would have been content to stay there the rest of my life. However, I have gained back about 25 lbs. I'm not happy. Currently I'm able to eat most anything and have gone back to old habits. I feel out of control and so afraid I'm going to gain it all back. I just don't seem to be able to stay on program any more since I don't seem to have get full or dump. I'm so blessed to not have any medical complications but sometimes I feel like I never even had the surgery!
tina0226
on 7/15/07 10:53 am - Greenwood, IN
Topic: RE: Anniversary 4 Years (8/15/07)
I have had low iron since before my sugery mainly because I am not a big red meat eater. I use to take 3 iron pills daily ... and never gave me good results. I now take Repliva (prescription pills). It is suppose to have the highest absorbtion rate and has given me normal results for the first time since I can remember. I still take calcium and multi vitamin ... and 1x per month I do a B12 shot. My bone density test came back with signs of Osteoprosis (however you spell that). But I think everything else is ok. I moved to Indiana almost 3 years ago and haven't seen a gastric bypass doctor except when I had my bowel obstruction ... I need to find one, just lazy.
Puglise
on 7/11/07 4:10 am - Waldorf, MD
Topic: RE: almost 4 years out now
I have gained back about 15 pounds. I find that I am also getting very flabby in my legs and my stomach is getting bigger. I am not big on exercise and I know that will help but it is nice to know that I am not alone with gaining some weight back after 4 years.
Puglise
on 7/11/07 4:07 am - Waldorf, MD
Topic: RE: Anniversary 4 Years (8/15/07)
Hello, I am also 4 years out this August. I did have a bad problem with iron. I had to have iron infusions 2x a week for 2 months. I am taking my iron supplements and I am much better now but was very sick for a while before I knew what was wrong. I also take a daily vitamin. I do get dizzy and feel like I am going to pass out some times. I always associated it with my sugar being low. I am just guessing on that or can I say it is the only excuse I can come up with. I have not had this checked out yet. I guess just being lazy. I am not great on the protein thing and I am trying to get more in now. I do still get very sick when I eat sugary items and I will sometimes get a stomach ache if I take my iron on an empty stomach.
Most Active
Recent Topics
I had my surgery in 2003
lacrimablu · 0 replies · 894 views
Question Please?
jacreasy · 1 replies · 778 views
Weight Gain Off track
DROBY · 3 replies · 1030 views
low red blood cells and iron
MTITTLE · 2 replies · 796 views