How did your 18-month check up go?

auntlorlee
on 3/14/07 1:37 am - Bellingham, WA
I passed with flying colors! My doc said that I am doing great and am a model patient! Of course I didn't tell him that I haven't exercised in a lonnnnnng time! But my blood work came back perfect. My weight was 158 on their scale. The nurse told me that it weighs everyone about 5 lbs heavy since we have to weigh with our shoes and clothes on! So with the difference, I was 153! I have to admit that I have been grazing alot more. Sometimes I feel like I have eaten my way through the entire day. But when I actually sit down and remember all that I have eaten, it's really not alot. I might have a couple pieces of fruit, or a couple of handfuls of nuts in between my meals. I tend to eat breakfast really late. My usual breakfast is a 24oz nonfat sugarfree hazelnut latte every morning. I eat around 10:30 or so. I have been having scrambled eggs (2) topped with cheese and chopped ham. Lots of protein! Then I have a Lean Cuisine for lunch. In the afternoon is when I graze it seems. And that dreaded time in between dinner and bedtime. I know it's bad but I actually do get hungry. I am still averaging less than 1000 calories a day so I don't think I am doing too terribly bad. How are you all doing? Seems like our board has died a little bit. I know how it is being busy with our lives and just not having the time to post anymore. I do read daily and try and answer some of the posts. Take care everyone. I hope we are all doing fantastic! Lori
Mrs. G
on 3/14/07 6:29 am - E. City, NC
My surgeon didn't schedule me for an 18 month check up, just a 2 year check up, so I have no idea what my labs would look like right now. I'm on month 3 of my recommitment - calorie restricting, no bad carbs, low fat. I need to up my excersise, all I get in right now is walking. I started back to using my tanning bed this week. All the clothes I got at the thirft store last summer and never got small enough to wear fit now. I'm in a size 8 in almost everything, 10 in a few things still. I've passed my surgeon's goal and am working towards my goal(s). Planning on going out of country next spring/summer for plastic surgery, that's the soonest we can afford it. I want a tummy tuck, breast lift (doesn't look like I'll need augmentation), and a little lipo on my upper thigh/hip area. Hope everyone is doing well! Hugs to you all! Connie 8/01/05 RNY 269 at surgery/163 surgeon's goal/150 my first goal/160 current weight
miknikmom
on 3/14/07 8:28 am - Lake Forest, CA
I cancelled my 18 month because of the cancer I am going to the doctors all the time and didn't want to keep taking time off of work. When I go to get my blood work for the surgery my by pass doctors are getting some also and then they will go over it on the phone with me. Well I go to the plastic surgeon in a 1/2 hour. There is a proceedure where they use tissue on your abdomin for your new boobs. So I will ask about that. I just might get a tummy tuck and two new boobs all paid for by insurance. I guess you have to be careful about what you wish for. I will let you all know what he says tomorrow. I wonder how much pain it will be to have both breast removed reconstructed and a tummy tuck at the same time. I shurley will need lots of pain meds. Hey I have a question for everyone, at the end of the day are you bloated and gassy? I am so gassy and bloated every day, I eat GAS-X like candy. I still also burp a lot. I don't drink soda or beer. I just burp like crazy at the dinner meal. I can eat better during the day then at night. Well talk to you guys later, Diana
auntlorlee
on 3/15/07 2:08 am - Bellingham, WA
Hi Diana, I was wondering how you were doing. I am guessing that they are going to do a mastectomy on you? I am sending lots of healing thoughts your way. I hope things only get better from here on out. I am interested in hearing more about how they will make new boobs out of your tummy tissue! That is very cool! Thank goodness it will ALL be covered by insurance too! I get gassy in the evenings too. I don't burp, I just fart all the time! And they aren't little poofs either. It's big time gas! It usually hits me in the late afternoon and goes on through the evenings. Take care my dear and keep us posted on your health! We will all be praying for you! Lori
Ang
on 3/15/07 5:08 am - Allen, TX
Hi Diana, I was actually suprised...The pain after the mastectomy (for me anyway) wasn't too awful bad. I expected alot worse. I also tried to go the route of having my breasts reconstructed using the stomach skin. My plastic surgeon said my stomach muscles weren't strong enough for something that major. She also thought I would be happier with the results using the expander first and then the implants. I am very pleased. I too was trying to see the bright side of it all and trust me a tummy tuck and a new set of boobs....No brainer!! LOL. Good luck and keep us updated.
miknikmom
on 3/15/07 9:47 am - Lake Forest, CA
Well here is the update. I don't have enough tissue for two new boobs and they do use the muscles and I want my muscles in my stomach so I am getting the expanders like Ang. Oh well I can do a tummy tuck later if I want it bad enough. Diana
miknikmom
on 3/15/07 9:50 am - Lake Forest, CA
Oh I forgot, it was weird they keeped saying thin women look better in this type of implant. You don't have enough tissue for both breast. Wow 2 years ago I had more than enough and would not have been considered thin. Diana
Tammy H.
on 3/29/07 3:42 am - Camden, NY
Diana, Just finally getting back on here & catching up. I am sorry for your news. Hope everything is going as scheduled. I will definately keep you in my prayers & will be putting your name on an "In Honor of" Luminaria at this years Relay for Life. This is exactly the reason why I'm on the planning board for our local Relay for Life & have been participating for the last 5 years. Some day, hopefully, no person will have to ever deal with this. You're in my prayers Tammy
GinaPell
on 3/27/07 1:45 am - Richmond, VA
Hi Diana, About the burping....I burp A LOT after a meal...ever since surgery! I've figured out that I can burp less if I eat very small bites at a time, chew them very well...then wait a minute or so between each one. Kinda like we did right after surgery. If I eat a larger bite it seems to open up the esophagus and let extra air in my pouch. It's so hard to remember to eat very small pieces and wait a minute to two between bites to let it get completely down in the pouch. Try that though and see if it helps...also keeping the food as wet as possible seems to let it settle down better. Hope it helps. Keep up the faith! Gina
mccalles
on 3/20/07 9:10 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Had my 18 month checkup back around 2/24. Doing good. My weight has been bouncing since after Christmas and we discussed that. I had gotten down to 192 on my home scale, but was up at 197 when I went for the appointment. Not bad, and down from my high of 204 in January. No bloodwork this time, but we did discuss vitamins, protein, iron and water. I have issues taking iron pills, but I do try to take at least one a week (probably not enough to do any real good, but I am trying!). Jumped back up a bit after that appointment but am down a bit now - 194 this morning. Got to stay with the "program". I am trying to walk at lunchtime at work whenever the weather cooperated. I am in Virginia Beach, so we don't have snow, but we have had some cold and blustery days. Walking at lunch seems to help me though. Diana, Hope you are doing well. I have kept you in my prayers. Eileen 337/194/160ish?
Most Active
Recent Topics