Recent Posts

ligsea
on 8/12/09 3:14 am - Hooksett, NH
Topic: RE: My one year was on 8/6 and I forgot to tell ya ;)
Congratulations Karen!  You look amazing and healthy!  You must feel wonderful.  And to be in remission from IH and no longer having headaches is def. a plus!  I agree, GBS was the best thing I have ever done for myself too! 

My 1 year anniv. was yesterday.  I no longer obsess over my weight.  I'm down 125lbs and at my personal goal.  My husband actually had to remind me that it was my 1 year anniv!  I LOVE being in control of my body and mind!  There are pics in my profile if you want to look!

Have a great day!

Lisa

Karen M.
on 8/9/09 1:53 pm - Calabasas, CA
Topic: My one year was on 8/6 and I forgot to tell ya ;)
On Aug 6, 2008 I had RNY I weighed 260 lbs and could no longer wear shoes (my feet were too swollen), my RNY was the best thing I have EVER done for myself!!! I am now 100 lbs (with 20 more lbs to go) lighter and I am in remission from my neurological disorder called Intracranial hypertension  or (IH). I am no longer going blind or have God awful headaches, this is the happiest Ive been in the last 5 yrs!!!
Here are some before and after pictures;

MoniqueW
on 7/16/09 9:38 am
Topic: 11 Months Post Op
Hello all just wanted to stop by and send my hellos to my OH friends. I’m not on here as much as I was before being banded but I’ll always drop by from time to time. Where do I being… I was banded August 25th, 2008 and now I’m approaching my 1 year anniversary. I’m averaging 2 lbs. loss per month and to date I’ve loss 51 lbs. My weight loss has been slow, and I’m not sure why, but I’m happy with my results to date.   Size: Top 16/18 and Bottom 18   Exercise: I try to assist my band in every way that I can. For activity, I go to the gym. I’m there 5 days per week, 45-1 hr. per day. My regimen consist of cardio 3x and resistance training 2 xs per week.   Fluids: Water, coffee, soy milk, unsweetened tea or Crystal Light…  I don’t get in as much as I need to.   Supplements: For about 3 months after surgery I took a multivitamin everyday, now I just try to eat a well balanced meal. I don’t take any vitamins (although I know I should).   Diet: Generally between 1000 – 1200 calories per day. Protein first, followed by veggies, then very little starch/bread if I still have room. I don’t drink with meals, but I will drink before eating just to wet my mouth.   Adjustments: I go see my doctor around every 3 months for adjustments. I’ve had a total of 4 fills with my last one being sometime back in April. I’ve loss 5lbs since then, and it almost feels as though the adjustments (all were fluro) are more trouble than the results are worth. I’m currently at 8.75cc in a 10cc band.     Support Group: I would love to attend a support group with other bandsters, but once my NUT started requiring exorbitant fees to host them, I had to back out… I just couldn’t afford it, so OH website offers the only support I have.   Would I do it again: Yes! A million times yes! I’m healthier, I’m more fit, and I’m making progress (slowly). I feel 10 times better than I did a year ago today. I feel as though the band has motivated me to be a healthier and more fit ME. Now, granted my weight loss has been slow compared to most but my doctor tells me I’m right on track. I eat what I want within moderation, and I don’t deal with dumping or malabsorbtion. I actually live a pretty regular life, and that’s what I wanted. I’m no longer the biggest person in the room.   NSV:      I’m active and I love being able to workout and keep up with the rest of them.                 Can jog (but I’m careful due to knees)                 Can wear hills                 Can wear skirts w/o them rising in the back                 Can cross my legs                 Can fit into airplane seats                 Getting curvy and feeling sexy                 SEX is so much better w/o all the barriers                 I have a neck                 Feet and hands are smaller                 Like what I see in the mirror                 Able to fit in rides at Disney World and Six Flags                 Able to give myself a pedicure w/o passing out                 Able to reach the center of my back when showering
cid_IMG00104-20090606-1643.jpg picture by whitett28

Highest Weight = 279lbs.
VSG Surgery Weight = 253 lbs.

Goal Weight = 175 lbs. (5'5)

Current:194

izzyboo
on 7/10/09 1:53 pm - PA
Topic: well its been 11 months almost since my surgery
i cant believe that in a little over a month it will have been a year since my surgery.  i need to take some new pictures.  i have now lost over 150 pounds since my surgery.  i kinda wi**** was more but my physical activity has been a little limited because of the severe arthritis in my knees.  walking is becoming very painful.  i go back to the orthopedic dr on august 7.  we had talked about knee replacement before but my weight was so high he wouldnt even think about touching me surgically.  not sure what the next step is.  if we will try shots again or what.  my weight is now well under what he stated i needed to be at so we will see.  i am proud to say that i am down 7 clothing sizes!!!!  and i wore a bathing suit out in public twice this week without a huge tshirt covering me!!!!!  one bad side effect has been that i lost a ton of hair.  so my hair is now super short.  i finally caved and just got it chopped.  not sure if i like it or not...i guess it will grow.  i have been taking biotin and that seems to be helping.  any other ideas you guys might have about hair loss and what i can do to speed along growth?  my daughter has been thrilled with how much more i am able to do.  i sit on the floor and play games with her and dont have to worry about not being able to get up again.  i go for my next check up on thursday.  its a month early but thats when they could get me in.  weight loss is starting to slow down.  i am still losing but at a much slower rate.  i am just happy to be losing.  i knew that i would never be skinny i am just happy to be losing weight and feeling better.  my blood pressure is no longer high, my cholesterol is no longer high, and i just generally feel better!  ok thats enough from me.  thanks if you read this!!!  hope everyone is having a great summer!!!!!
glemlm
on 7/5/09 5:31 pm - Martinez, GA
Topic: RE: Where have all the August folks gone?
Hey Dawn,
I have the same problem.  Lost great from Aug to Dec then slowed down.  Lost maybe 20 since February(ish).  Now lose some, gain some,  try to change exercise,  not exercise, increase exercise,  increase food, decrease food,  change food.  It is very frustrating.  I did get some advice to eat my food, and drink my snacks as I still drink a protein drink and was doing that for breakfast.  Was a mistake.  Now eat dense proteins for meals, with goal to finish in 15-20 minutes,  then drink my fluids before I try to have anything else.  Usually if I eat dense foods,  I cant eat other stuff.  The less dense foods add up and I can eat them too easily.  SO I am avoiding them now   protein first,  in some dense format.  I keep chicken and tuna salad ready to go in the fridge, and hard boiled eggs,  ricotta cheese, and lean deli meats for quick snacks.  Right now it seems to be working.  Keep up the good work.  My doc also says to just keep doing what I have been and to be patient.  He says we can lose for up to 2 years, it will just be a little slower.  I find it interesting that we are still losing sizes but not pounds.  More muscle I guess.  Sounds like you are doing great.  Keep it up.
Linda
dawnie810
on 7/5/09 12:55 pm - Chepachet, RI
Hello,

I had my surgery on 8/25/08.  I've lost around 85 lbs. and feel great, BUT I have been around the same weight for months!!!  I eat healthy, I even sometimes still weigh my food, and I exercise regulary, so I cannot figure out why my weight will not go down more.  The doctor says to just keep on doing what I'm doing and keep changing up my work-out routine.  That was a few months ago.  I try not to be obsessive about the numbers on the scale but it gets a little discouraging when they do not move after awhile.  My clothes fit better so maybe the numbers aren't moving because weights are a part of my exercise routine.  Any suggestions to boost the weight loss?

Thanks,
Dawn
lizp100
on 7/3/09 4:29 am
LilyFlower79
on 6/15/09 12:29 am - CO

Life is great and new! Can not beleive how far we have come!! Enjoy each day to the fullest. So much time has passed and yet it feels like just yesterday! Good luck to you all!!

glemlm
on 6/11/09 10:09 am - Martinez, GA
Topic: Where have all the August folks gone?
I bet you are out running around, cant sit for more than 5 minutes (you know how those 'new' bones in our butts just kill us) so don't have time to update the rest of us.  Probably out running marathons, or at least 5 Ks  ok maybe a 1 k or even 100 paces but you are probably outside.  Laying in bathings suits,  wearing shorts,  playing with the kids, riding bikes, walking, planting flowers, grooming a garden, having FUN!!!  YIpee Ki yi yah!!!  At least I hope you are.  Loving my new life and hoping you are too. 
Linda
glemlm
on 6/11/09 10:04 am - Martinez, GA
Most Active
Recent Topics
Been gone a long time
RaeRae1 · 1 replies · 1113 views
Ghost Town
Dot T. · 0 replies · 873 views
Join us in 2010
John W. · 0 replies · 848 views
13 months post op sleeve