gaining weight!!!

mimi
on 8/20/07 2:16 am - Milwaukee, WI
OK here's the deal next month I'll be two years post op, and i am starting to gain weight. I have to admit that i have had it fairly easy i can tolerate just about anything, I still eat small portions but their gradually increasing i am 7# over my limit. I am 5'2 tall and my highest weight was 246 my personal goal is about 140# needless to say I've never reached it, and I guess I'm fine with that but I also had a limit to the weight gain I did not ever want to be over 160# ever again in life! I need some advise NOT Criticism but ADVISE so if any one has any please pass it along THANKS
livelyvc
on 8/20/07 3:00 am - Alexandria, VA
Hi Marie, I'm having similar issues. You are not alone. I started at 298 and got down to my goal of 165 for like one day back in December or January. Since then I've put on about 12 pounds. According to the BMI charts I need to weight 172 to be at a "normal" weight. This morning I weighted 177.5. I guess with my surgerversary coming up, I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I was told that most people with the RNY bounce back a bit. One of the reasons I set my goal at 165. I exercise like crazy though and am in really good shape. I rode my bike 90 miles on saturday. I work out at least 4 times a week, etc... But I've gained weight. So what I decided this morning was...I want to be at a "normal" weight. I don't think I can sustain 165, but I ought to be able to do 172, so I'm gonna try to get there by September 25, my 2 year surgery anniversary. Here are the steps I've decided to take--feel free to join me, I'd love the support. 1. Do a 5 day pouch test. http://livingafterwls.blogspot.com/2007/08/five-day-pouch-test.html. This makes me a little nervous because it reminds me of some of my binge and purge behavior preop... 2. Weigh every day. Some people think you shouldn't do this, but I did religiously for the first year and a half after surgery...I got a really good idea of how my body fluctuates. When I started eating more...all of a sudden I didn't want to weigh anymore...and guess what? I gained. 3. Without getting crazy about it, I'm going to try to go back to eatting basics after the 5 day test. I have gotten in the habbit of having an evening snack. I need to stop that. 4. I think I'm going to start measuring my food again. I read somewhere that our meals should be no larger than a cup of food. So, I'm going to try that for a while. So that's my plan. Want to join me?
Stacy H.
on 8/20/07 9:33 pm - Cumberland, IN
I think the suggestion above is a good one. To me the 5 day pouch test seems a little extreme. Anything that asks you to give up food for 3 entire days seems like a bit much. I'm not sure about you but with my program we were not asked to go without any food even from day 1 post op. We were on "full liquids" like cottage cheese, yogurt, applesauce, oatmeal, mashed potatoes, etc. I can see trying to go back to that for a few days maybe but to go without food at all I know I couldn't do it. I think the weighing daily is an EXCELLENT idea and I have done it ever since my surgery. It has really helped me. I normally stay at 127-128 and during my marathon training I have recently seen the scale go up to 130 (because of extra carbs during my training) and I have been able to nip it in the bud immediately. By keeping a close eye on your weight you can keep 3lbs from becoming 6 or 12 or 20. I don't want to allow myself to ever say well at least I'm still ____lbs less than I was I'm still better off. I don't want to be just better off I want to be the best that I can be. I found that when I buckled down and STOPPED all snacking my 3lbs was gone in 2 days. Just take a look at what you are eating that maybe you don't need. If you are a snacker and grazer like me then vow to yourself to cut out those snacks or allow yourself a fruit or veggie for a snack and nothing else. That is the best advice I have, you can do it! Good luck!
livelyvc
on 8/21/07 12:59 am - Alexandria, VA
I hear you about the pouch test--although it is only the first 2 days on liquids. That is not unlike my post op diet. I do have to say I stepped on the scale this morning and was 174, which is 3.5 pounds less than yesterday. That seems an amazing change...but my body will fluctuate a couple of pounds day to day... Liquids only was tough. I'm doing soft food today--nice to be eating again.
Jazwog
on 8/21/07 7:21 am - Medical Lake, WA
WOW thanks for the information I have been struggling too and its good to know I am not alone I thought I was FAILING horribly!! I have gained 10 lbs also!! Anymore advice please let me know!! I need help!! THANKS!!!
Ready4 AChange
on 8/22/07 2:36 pm - Upper Chichester, PA
Can I join the party ? I never did reach my "goal" I really didn't have one....maybe I thought of trying for under 200 but I never did reach that. I started out highest 334 consultation and I got as low as 212 ( for 2 days) and have stayed at around 220-225 for the past few weeks. I haven't weighed this since I was in my 20's ( which was over 30 years ago) I went to my support group tonight and the coordinator said that some people's bodies decide what weight it wants to be. Guess mine likes this number.. She did suggest if I wanted to try to lose a little more is to try two low carb breakfast drinks and a "sensible" meal . I may try that and see if it kick starts something. I have to admit that my exercise regimine is about nil. I do walk , but not as much as I would like. So ,,,,,what are we going to do ? Maybe try to set some kind of goals ? Maybe by Halloween I will try to get under the 210 mark ( and stay there) What about you ? Sandy
Stacy H.
on 9/5/07 8:41 am - Cumberland, IN
Well even though I had not gained any weight or need to lose any I decided what the hell and gave the pouch test a try! I am thrilled with it! I started it on Monday and day 1 was hard, however for me day 2 was such a breeze that I decided to continue the liquids to do 3 when you're allowed to start eating again. I did only water and protein drinks all day Monday and Tuesday and all day today until 6pm when I had my first food which was cottage cheese. I feel SO much more in control of my eating and cravings now! Thanks for this suggestion. Also even though it wasn't my intention, I have lost weight. On Monday morning I was 130lbs and this morning (day 3) I was 126lbs. Pretty good timing with my 2yr anniversary (and Dr appt) being Friday!
Crewzer
on 9/10/07 7:40 am - Gilbert, AZ
Marie, I think this is something that is normal. Remember we didn't get overweight overnight. I am getting back to my regime that helped me lose the weight. I have put on the dreaded 10lb as well. My goal this month, surgiversary month, is to get back down to were I was last year. I too can eat most things. The evening snacking and weekends gets me. I am back to liquid protein drinks, walking again. I am 4lbs away from being back to were I need to be. Remember like alchoholism, we have an addiction. You will always need to stay on top of the addiction. It is good that you are taking the steps to get yourself back to were you want to be. Good luck on your battle, remember you have friends in kind here at OH. Mike
Most Active
Recent Topics
Just Checking in - May 2018
ShandrewsCA · 0 replies · 575 views
Anyone still out there?
Maddiebug · 2 replies · 671 views
7 years ago today
livelyvc · 0 replies · 881 views
stomach pain
Tessy · 1 replies · 902 views