I Wonder What The Statistics Are?

Pamela E.
on 1/12/09 7:31 am - Buckeye, AZ
It's been a very long time since I have posted, but my weight gain of 10-15 lbs. from my lowest weight loss has led me to wonder how many of us have really managed to keep it off and how many have gained it back. 

I've been watching Oprah's "Best Life Week" and there are so many incredible weight loss storied out there - people who have gone through hell and back to lose massive amounts of weight and come through it all to look like sculpted gods and goddesses only to gain it all back again.  Just one of the stories was:  Eric Chopin, a contestant from The Biggest Loser, who had lost 214 pounds three years ago has gained over 100 pounds back.   

I thought weight loss surgery would be the answer and now at three years out and going from a size 10 to a size 14 already, I am discouraged and feelling like surgery was no more of an answer than Jenny Craig - only now I have life-long medical issues to deal with from having RNY. 

Yes, I know it is up to me, any weight loss program is up to me, but we're always pros at losing it and can bet the farm on gaining it all back.  TWICE now, to reinforce the idea of never regaining the weight, I've given all my fat clothes away after losing 100+ pounds and saying I'll NEVER gain it back - only to regain the weight and have to come up with the money to buy a new wardrobe to clothe my fat body again.

So how is everybody else out there doing who had the surgery in September of 2005?   I hope and pray you are all not only surviving, but thriving and looking forward to a wonderful year.   
Blackthorne
on 1/13/09 4:09 am - Alpharetta, GA
A 10-15lb bounceback is normal and I was told to expect it, so I think you're doing well.    I, too, have had  10-15 lbs bounce back from my lowest weight, so we're even.   At my smallest, I could wear size 4-6 jeans, but it was more like I had a size 6 ass, with a size 10 waist.     I'm more like a 10-12 now, and I frequently wear a pair of size 12 jeans for their comfort. 

I just got a certificate yesterday (A Xmas present) for a two year membership to 24 hour fitness.   I had been very active last summer & fall, but slacked off as the weather got worse.    Have you been working out?   What kind of routine do you have?  

--BT
     Six years postop.       All co-morbidities are resolved.  Lost 101lbs in 1st year.   High wt: 277 Surgery wt:  260.7  Currently:  143lbs.    I'm Blackthorne99 on MyFitnessPal.

Click here to read my blog: Unicorns & Stranger Things
Pamela E.
on 1/13/09 4:48 am - Buckeye, AZ
I live in The Valley of the Sun, so I have no excuse for not exercising.  I'm just lazy.  However, when I do exercise, I just get out there and walk.  I have a wonderful treadmill in my bedroom for when it's 120 degrees outside, but my preference is to walk.  Somehow, I just don't have the motivation I used to.  Right now the weather is beautiful here.  70 degrees is the average and I keep saying I'm going to get out there.  I've even started a couple of times, but then the energy just wasn't there.  I remember the boundless energy I had when I was walking every day.  I wish I had that again.  Why oh why can't I get motivated to MOVE?
      Pam - Phoenix, AZ
        256/153/145  

"Never
give up!"
Blackthorne
on 1/13/09 5:09 am - Alpharetta, GA
" I remember the boundless energy I had when I was walking every day.  I wish I had that again.  Why oh why can't I get motivated to MOVE?"

Because it works the other way around - You walk and THEN you get the boundless energy".    Don't wait for the energy to arrive - like the old biblical phrase, ask & ye shall receive, YOUR action has to take place BEFORE you get the reward.

--BT
     Six years postop.       All co-morbidities are resolved.  Lost 101lbs in 1st year.   High wt: 277 Surgery wt:  260.7  Currently:  143lbs.    I'm Blackthorne99 on MyFitnessPal.

Musicmama88
on 1/13/09 9:21 am - Danville, IN
Im over three years out and have maintained pretty well. I had the fifteen pound bounce back going from a size 12 to a 14-16, so Im not complaining. All my co- morbidities are gone, Im a hundred percent healthy and when I work the tool, I lose weight. I never did reach my personal goal, my doctor refused to give me one because he said I will know when it feels right. I would like to lose a few more, but if I dont, where Iam is ok too.
I recently had a gain during the holidays, so I did the 5 daypouch test last week and lost 7 pounds. It also reset my pouch to its former sensitivity so that I cant eat as much, dump on sweets again, and have no cravings. You might give it a try.
Im almost 62 years old and feel a whole lot younger, can do many things my older friends cannot, thanks to the weight loss. Yes, its work to keep it off, but I committed to that when I had the surgery. Its a tool, not a magic bullet. I just wanted to get the weight off for once, and then I would work my hardest to keep it off. I even told my doctor, I will eat birdseed if I have to, just get it off so I have hope!
Good luck in your challenge, you wont regain it all  unless you give up the fight. Personally, I think its worth the effort to remain healthy and thin.

Blessings
Betsy
"For I know the plans I have for you ," declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Pamela E.
on 1/14/09 12:06 am - Buckeye, AZ
Like I said, it's been a long time since I've posted or been on the board.  Do you know where I can find that Five Day Pouch Test?  I'd like to try it.  Could be that's just what I need to feel alot better.  I have IBS and my stomach hurts every time I eat (over-indulge).   Thanks!
      Pam - Phoenix, AZ
        256/153/145  

"Never
give up!"
Musicmama88
on 1/14/09 12:24 am - Danville, IN

Hey, I can relate to that stomach hurting thing too! I have found that I enjoy tasting the food so much, that if Im not careful I keep eating after Im full,,then when I get the hiccups, its too late, a few minutes later and Im in agony from too much food! So, thats one reason I started the pouch test,,,so shrink it back. Our pouch never stretches very much according to the doc,,but we can pu**** to its limit and suffer the consequences, which is what I was doing!
Heres the link to the test
www.5daypouchtest.com

Good luck with it,,,any questions feel free to ask,,and keep me posted on your progress. Once ya get past the first two days you are home free! LOL

Blessings
Betsy

"For I know the plans I have for you ," declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Ready4 AChange
on 1/26/09 11:18 pm - Upper Chichester, PA
I am getting depressed/frustrated. I have gained over 30 lbs and the scale seems to be going up. I haven't had my 3 yr check up ( hubby doesn't think I need to go see him every year, just get my labs done by my primary) I have been attending support groups but I am not a happy camper.

Sandy  

ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange Remember.......  Click to Give .....Hunger, Breast Cancer, literacy, rain f                                                                                         orest, animal rescue and CHILD HEALTH

Blackthorne
on 1/27/09 6:19 am - Alpharetta, GA
Sandy -

If you're not happy with how things are going, you'll want to shine a light on things to get a good idea of what's going on.   

Someone posted The Rules Of The Pouch on here a long time ago:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/09-2005/postdetail/9333.ht ml?vc=0     Are you following these? 

Some good sites to use for food tracking are www.fitday.com and www.sparkpeople.com.    It can help you see if you're eating the right balance of food, getting enough fluid in, and if there are any areas of concern.   

You might also do the "cottage cheese" test to see how large your pouch is.    Basically what you do is take a known quantity of either cottage cheese or oatmeal that is *definitely* larger than you can eat.    Eat as MUCH as you can in 10 minutes, and then measure the remaining amount to see how much you ate.    An easy way to do this is to draw a line around the top line of cottage cheese, then after you've eaten your fill, fill the cottage cheese container to that line.    Measure (by volume) how much water you needed, and that will tell you the volume of your pouch.   

Use that frustration to take action - you've already done the hard part (surgery).   Now you're just following up on it to keep it working.

--BT

koukla
on 2/22/09 9:41 am - a city, CT
O.k.  why do we listen to our husbands all the time?
When did they get an MD after their names? 
My husband does the same thing to me and sometimes I listen.  But I think we have to stop being controlled my someone else and start controlling ourselves.  let him tell you that you don't need to go but make sure you go.  Once a year.  big deal.  They can give us better tips and make sure to run the right labs on us.  It's very important.
good luck.
koukla

Most Active
Recent Topics
Just Checking in - May 2018
ShandrewsCA · 0 replies · 575 views
Anyone still out there?
Maddiebug · 2 replies · 671 views
7 years ago today
livelyvc · 0 replies · 881 views
stomach pain
Tessy · 1 replies · 903 views