Has anyone tried stomaphyx?

Connie
on 2/1/09 11:33 am - Conception Bay South, Canada

My surgery was Sept 2005, I find that I am getting concerned with weight gain. My highest was 325 lowest 150, now range from 156- 160 range. which these last few pounds have only come back in the last 6 months. Most of the time I follow the rules but latley I have been grazing alot. I have a major sweet tooth. But Even when I am being very good, I am not satisfied at meal time and the fullness doesn't last. For example I had a moose roast for supper 1/2 cup 1/2 cup mashed potatoes, 1 asparagus, cup of cauliflour cooked. I would have normally filled with meat and a bit of potatoes but now I am able to all that extra and then turned around and had a bowl of bran cereal a few hours later and now only a couple hours later I could eat again so I had a small tangerine and small peice of cheese. So I think I have problems filling myself up for extended periods. The only thing that fills me well are dry meats and when I eat them they hurt so much that I have to throw them up. I thought stomaphyx might help to give me back my full sensation again before my weight gets out of hand. I am only 5'3" and need to lose another 25lbs. I would like to have a baby and need this weight off before that happens.
Any thought on the procedure!?!

Connie
307/160/135

Tammy N.
on 2/6/09 4:35 am - Groveland, MA
I have been going through the same grazing issue lately...I only lost 57% of my body fat and was at a plateau for the longest time. I quit smoking 2 weeks ago and gained about 10 lbs. I am still eating less food at meals but not enough protein I gather to keep the pouch full enough for a length of time.  I have been skipping breakfast alot because I snack at midnight when I get home from work. My nut. suggested I have protein shake at least in the morning. Skipping breakfast can be a major cause of grazing.  I started yesterday protein shake for breakfast, 2-3 greek yogurts (16g protein) for snacks, lean cuisine for lunch and i slip a little carbs in for supper. One day of this and I felt a difference in my body, more energy and less cravings to graze. I really have to work on losing at least another 50lbs plus the 10lbs I gained even though I feel good when I was at 200lbs. What is stomaphyx?  I never heard of it....but I would try the protein deal and spread out the meals evenly as possible first.  We had this surgery done as a tool to help us lose weight and it is our responsiblity to try to use it properly, it's not a miracle tool that works on it's own.  We are all humans that make mistakes. I don't know about you but it's hard to change bad habits...as long as you can recognize them and try correcting them and not give up is all that matters. (Believe me I just quit smoking)
koukla
on 2/22/09 9:27 am - a city, CT
Hi Connie,
I do believe my pouch didn't stretched but I do believe my opening to the attached intestine is wide and also I believe the intestine is stretched.  almost like a second pouch. 
You have done so good. 
I found that I can eat large amounts too and it scars me to death.  Plus I have regained 30 pounds. 
I got laxed on the excerise and grazing.
I know this doesn't help you any but I thought I'd let you know that you are not alone.
Koukla

Heidi
on 4/21/09 10:32 pm - Garrett, PA

StomaphyX - Gastric Bypass Revision

Wednesday April 22, 2009

StomaphyX is an incision-free procedure that helps qualified gastric bypass patients get back on track with their weight loss.

StomaphyX is a new and innovative revision procedure for individuals who have had Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery and have regained weight due to a stretched stomach pouch or enlarged stomach outlet. Approved by the US FDA in 2007, the StomaphyX procedure reduces the stomach pouch and stomach outlet (stoma) to the original gastric bypass size without traditional surgery or incisions and with minimal recovery time. It is not performed as a primary method of weight loss surgery, but as a type of revisional bariatric surgery for gastric bypass patients.

Why is the StomaphyX procedure performed?

Although gastric bypass surgery is successful in achieving an average of 60 to 80% excess weight loss, some patients start to regain weight a few years after surgery. The stomach pouch and stoma can gradually stretch over time as the body’s digestive system becomes accustomed to the changes and the patient returns to unhealthy eating patterns. The StomaphyX procedure reduces the stomach pouch and stoma to a size similar to the original gastric bypass surgery, once again limiting food intake and slowing the emptying of the stomach into the small intestine. This results in earlier satiety (feeling of fullness) and more weight loss. Without having to undergo additional traditional surgery, StomaphyX helps gastric bypass patients eat less and lose more weight.

How do I know if my stomach pouch or stoma has stretched?

If you and your doctor suspect that your stomach pouch or stoma may have stretched, there is a simple procedure known as an upper endoscopy that can be performed to find out for certain. This quick and easy procedure is performed by a Gastroenterologist (scope doctor) who uses a small scope with a video camera to measure the stomach pouch and stoma. For the procedure you will be lightly sedated, then the doctor will guide the scope down through the mouth and into the stomach pouch to take measurements. Before undergoing the endoscopy procedure, it is important for the Gastroenterologist to talk to your Bariatric Surgeon and find out exactly what measurements need to be taken.

Paula Hep
on 9/6/09 4:19 am - Windsor, CT
RNY on 09/28/05 with
If it's non invasive surgery...how is it performed?  Via laposcope? 

Paula
330+/230/200  (originally got down to 200, but gained 30 back) :-(

"Nothing tastes as good as thin feels....." (unknown)

Princess T.
on 7/15/10 11:18 am - Licking County, OH
I know you asked this question months ago - but this procedure is performed like the endoscopy - down the throat....no incisions at all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm going to DisneyWorld!!  And you're all invited to join me!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Just Checking in - May 2018
ShandrewsCA · 0 replies · 569 views
Anyone still out there?
Maddiebug · 2 replies · 669 views
7 years ago today
livelyvc · 0 replies · 879 views
stomach pain
Tessy · 1 replies · 901 views