Pre-Op Mental Crisis

dlhelmick
on 8/23/04 11:14 am - Lehigh Acres, FL
Hi guys. I know here lately I've been totally up-beat and happy since I got approved and a date set and all. And don't get me wrong, I am still VERY happy and looking forward to my WLS. I am having a big problem and I'm not sure if it's normal, I DO however think it's destructive Ever since I got approved I've been eating...more and more, like it's my last meal or something. And the snacking is out of control. I am ready to except the life changes and all, but this wait time is playing with my head I've bought the Slim Fast Low-Carb shakes to try in prep for the Pre-Op diet...I'm almost thinking I need to start it early to "tame myself". What do I do? As much as I love my shrink, I don't think it's that big of a problem since my Pre-Op diet starts in a couple of weeks anyway. I am planning my last big meal at a restaurant and a last big meal at home before the Pre-Op diet but has anyone else had this problem? Please Danielle
happytobeme
on 8/23/04 11:54 am - Attalla, AL
Hi Danielle. I am doing the same thing! Eating like crazy. My surgery is the Oct. 22, and I hope I can get a control on this. Debbie
LilTroysMom
on 8/23/04 2:38 pm
OOHH, heck yeah!! I am eatting in the worst way! Everything I put in my mouth, I think, I will not be able to eat this in 45 days!! My big day is October 7th. That is all I think about!!! I am already planning on all the things that I HAVE to eat before October 7. I am positive that I will put on at least 10 pounds before the big day! I have talked to friends of mine that are post-op and they have gone through the same thing. So, I think we are all normal!! Jennifer
Boxer Mom
on 8/24/04 2:15 am - York, PA
I have not reached that crisis mode...yet. I am determined to lose 100 pounds by my surgery (10/14/04). I am at 85 pounds now and I know those last 15 pounds will be a challenge. The only advice that I can offer is to set a weight loss goal like I have done. Keep in mind, not only will you be doing yourself a favor but your surgeon as well if you lose some weight prior to surgery. My surgeon wanted me to lose about 20 pounds by surgery, which, to date I have doubled. I am having the RNY done laparoscopetly and with the weight loss, the loose skin will be easier for the surgeon to manipulate the instruments around in the body. Best of luck to all! Gail
Denise K.
on 8/24/04 3:10 am - Muskegon, MI
Oh, wow - I'm not alone. My surgery is October 27 and I have been eating everything in sight since I got my date. My husband and I have started joking about it - how I'm going to have those cupboards all cleaned out by the time of my surgery. I'm just hoping that the required two weeks of liquids pre-op will undo the damage I'm doing to my weight right now. Denise
dlhelmick
on 8/24/04 6:37 am - Lehigh Acres, FL
Thanks for making me realize I'm not just a nutter I know it's all psychological and I'm doing the best I can. Everyone's surgeon is different too. My surgeon doesn't want us to necessarily lose weight, he wants us to shrink out livers some so they are not enlarged and therefore get in the way during surgery. The month before my surgery I will have to start a VERY high protein diet, VERY low (almost NO carb) diet. That isn't until Sept. 12 that I'll have to start that. Oh and Gail, I'm really proud of your sucess and all but honestly, if I shed 100lbs. before surgery, I wouldn't even need the surgery I'd only weight 150lbs. which is only 20lbs off of my personal goal after WLS. The thing of it is, I'm getting this surgery b/c I CAN'T shed 100+lbs. Thanks you guys for reassuring me. I'll just do what I can to maintain control until Sept.12. I have every intention of getting serious then. Danielle
KerryBeth
on 8/27/04 3:59 am - Morgantown, WV
Danielle: I'm with ya. I worry to death because my doc is so strick that he weighs you during your initial consultation and then again at your pre-op appointment. If you have gained more than "1" pound, he cancels your surgery. My initial consultation was three months ago and that was during one of my "Starvation" diets where I only consumed about 500 calories a day. So, of course I was down a little. I have since gained about 8 pounds back which I seem to be able to do just by smelling food! Since I have been given a date for my surgery, I find that I want to eat everything in sight. I am concerned because I know that I already have some to take off before my surgery and I certainly can't afford any eating binges........! You are not alone! I'm sure that it's normal to feel the way we do, let's face it, we have all made eating a very important part of out lives and that's all about to change. We know that and once again are turning to food for comfort. We all have to learn how to refrain from that. It won't be an easy road, but we can all zap it together! Kerry
Rebecca I.
on 8/27/04 4:20 am - Anaheim, CA
RNY on 10/12/04 with
Hello, my surgery date is 10/12/2004 also and i have been eating out of control lately also your not alone
Wendy B.
on 8/27/04 9:43 am - Belleville, Canada
ok, after reading everyones replys I don't feel so alone I really thought I was losing it...I have been eating like crazy..more then I ever have eaten. Its like I need to stuff my self as much as possible with all the foods I don't want to eat after WLS ...Im telling you,I really thought I was going thank god for these msg boards
Lorrie B.
on 8/27/04 3:02 pm - San Lorenzo, CA
I have been eating a little more than usual as well. I don't know why maybe because i am stressing and wondering if CIGNA is going to deny me. I hope for the sake of all of us we can go through this with no insurance issues and we all do well during surgery. It is SAD when you are given a date and then they call you and say oh, we have to move your date out further because the Dr. is out of town, going to seminar, etc...so FRUSTRATING. Thanks and good luck Lorrie
Most Active
Recent Topics
7 years post op & 80 lbs gained
jdelany · 1 replies · 1097 views
Cravings
J P. · 1 replies · 690 views
checking in
tinktee · 1 replies · 811 views
Checking in, it's been awhile
heather0824 · 0 replies · 577 views