Pre-op diet

KerryBeth
on 8/27/04 3:47 am - Morgantown, WV
Question... My doctor like most I think requires a pre-op diet to make sure to shrink the liver so that it's not in the way. My surgery date is Oct 12 and I intend to be very strict about the high protien and low carbs starting one month prior to surgery. However, I have a wedding to attend on Oct 2 with a huge variety of foods and drinks at the reception. Would it hurt to splurge on that day if I was strict before and after? I don't want to do anything that might cause damage to myself before the surgery, but thought that it might be nice to know that I can enjoy that day with my loved ones. Any thoughts? Thanks all... Kerry
dlhelmick
on 8/28/04 6:55 am - Lehigh Acres, FL
Hi Kerry! Wished I could help but I've got lots of Pre-Op diet questions myself. I am going to call my surgeon's office for clarification on Mon...so if I can get back to you? I don't see one day/one meal as an issue though.
Natasha F.
on 8/29/04 2:23 am - Lake City, SC
Kerry, I am as well in my pro-op stage..My surgery date is October 20..but because I have been on low-carb/high protein diets in the past and I mean very low-carb (bad idea to cut them out completely), I decided to eat carbs one day and not some everyday, I got so sick I had to leave work..I'm not a Dr. and it might not do you like it did me but I think it's best if limit your carbs that day also and eat them in moderation. Best of luck to you....Tasha
judy G.
on 8/29/04 7:53 pm - wingo, KY
Congradulations Kerry,on 10/12/04.Mine is 10/05/04,and my doc. has not told me anything yet on pre-op,he said he would tell me what to do a few days before.
sherri E.
on 9/16/04 2:11 am - Arlington Heights, IL
Hi there guys - my date is 10/4/04. I was not told of any pre-op diet either, I was only told last week that I had to loose 20lbs!!!! That's it - no suggestions or help - just loose 20 lbs. So I decided for the next 3 weeks prior to surgery that I'm doing low carb high protein and lots and lots and lots or water as well as walking 1 1/2 - 2 miles each day. My sister is helping so I know I can do it. I have not had a beer or smoke in a week and I feel great. I'm confident that I can drop these 20 lbs in 3 weeks. Kerry - As far as the wedding goes - I think you should enjoy your time with your family and just be wise on portions. Eat and drink what you want just limit how much. (Drink lots of water in between) Sherri
Most Active
Recent Topics
7 years post op & 80 lbs gained
jdelany · 1 replies · 1096 views
Cravings
J P. · 1 replies · 690 views
checking in
tinktee · 1 replies · 811 views
Checking in, it's been awhile
heather0824 · 0 replies · 577 views