starting over...back to basics

jenn8671
on 8/11/05 11:51 pm - Pepperell, MA
So I *thought* I was done losing. Per my nutritionist, I was at a healthy weight, and could stop trying to lose these last 5 - 10 pounds. I had not lost anything in about 2 months when I finally went to see her. She told me it was all excess skin. (I was about 161 - down from 250) She suggested I try to increase my calories to min 900 per day, and exercise more to firm up. Soooo...I went to have my follow up with my surgeon a month or so later (weighed 159, so I had lost a couple of pounds since nutrition visit), and he said there is no reason I should not be able to lose 5 - 6 more. He asked if I still count calories, which I stopped long ago. I estimated that I eat about 800 - 900 a day. He said I should start counting again and he was certain I would find that I am eating over 1000 a day, otherwise I would be losing. In his experience, people were in denial about how much they were eating in a day. He gave me a goal to lose 5 - 6 pounds in 2 months, (and then he wil give me a referral to a plastic surgeon as my reward) So I came home, started counting calories and SURPRISE SURPRISE...I was getting in about 1200 per day! Those little bites of something here or there....they certainly add up!! SO I cut back to under 900 per day and I have ALREADY lost 3 pounds. (in two weeks) So all week, I have been back to basics - protein drinks, water water water, quit carbs, only snacking when I am truly hungry, and then making sure its protein, or a piece of fruit. I can't believe how quickly I fell back into old habbits. But nw I am down to 156. Dr wants me at 153 - my ideal goal is 143, but with the excess skin, he said 153 for now. Can't wait for my tummy-tuck. He said they will most likely do a full body lift - cut me from butt cheek to butt cheek. Yippeeee! Jenn www.kuddlebugz.com (last page is WLS page)
Lisa L.
on 8/11/05 11:56 pm - Rochester, MN
Jenn, I know that's something that I need to do. I lose a few pounds a month, but only right around that "special" time for us gals. I know I take in more carbs than I probably should and am probably getting in closer to the 1200 mark then the 900-1000 mark. Back to basics sounds like a good plan. Good luck! ~Lisa -116.6 lbs 291/174.4 lbs (doc's goal)
Kolbrun V.
on 8/12/05 11:40 pm - Kopavogur
Hmmm...perhaps this is something I should be looking into. I quit counting calories a long time ago but I do believe that I am taking in about 1200-1400 calories per day. Still, I exercise every day (spinning, body pump and tae bo) and walk 4-5 miles to work all weekdays. I would think that it would take a bit more than 1200-1400 calories with that much exercise just to stick around the same 5 lbs (I have been hovering around 165-170 for the last 2 months). During that time I have lost one pant size so the scale isn't everything Anyway, you have given me something to think about. It kills me to think that I should have to go below the starvation mark (according to my doctor the starvation mark is 1000 calories per day) in order to lose more weight and that I will have to stick to 1200-1400 calories and a rigorous exercise plan for the rest of my life just to not gain weight. *sigh* I guess that is just something I have to face Best, Kolla 304/168/140
Kolbrun V.
on 8/14/05 7:24 pm - Kopavogur
Well I'll be... ! It works!!! I have been stuck at 168 for the past 3 weeks or so and I started to write down what I eat just after I read your post. I stick to 1000 calories, drink plenty of water and keep up my exercise routine. In 2 days I have dropped 2 lbs and if this continues I will hopefully go below 165 very soon and in the process break my 2 month plateau Well...here's for hoping anyway Kolla 304/166/140
jenyoung1978
on 8/15/05 4:47 am - Crescent City, CA
Kolla, Hey just wanted to say I'm right there with ya. I was on a plateau for a few weeks and I joined fitday.com and started counting and now I'm losing again. I'm happy to see I'm not the only one but glad to see also that we all seem to be totally aware of what we need to do. Jenny Young 282/187/150
Sheryl in So Cali
on 8/15/05 2:00 pm - San Clemente, CA
Ok, I am jumping back on the fitday.com bandwagon. I used it religiously the first few months but stopped because I thought I had a grip on my food/calories. After reading your posts, I need to go back to the basic again. Thanks for the reminder. Sheryl 334/194/170
Kolbrun V.
on 8/15/05 7:05 pm - Kopavogur
You're so right girls! I guess we are pretty good at deceiving ourselves regarding food. Keeping a strict discipline on oneself and writing everything down seems to be the only way. Good luck to us all Kolla 304/165/140 - Another pound down the toilet and I will have broken my 2 month plateau
jenn8671
on 8/16/05 5:21 am - Pepperell, MA
Little update....I am at my dr's goal now. I am down to 153. I can't believe how many months went by when I would shake my head and wonder WHY I couldn't lose any more weight. All it took was keeping track and stopping the munchies at 1000 calories. Here I am, 3 weeks after my appt with him, and I've lost 6 pounds. I was nervous when he gave me a 2 month goal to lose those 6 pounds....didn't think I could do it. I am going to try for another 4 to make it an even 10. And I don't know if this is physically possible, but I do think I had stretched my pouch. Now that I am measuring and counting again, I seem to be getting fuller with less food. So I think its back to the size it was meant to be. Could be all in my head though too. Of course, now I have to go spend more money on clothes as everything is falling off me. And now I hate to wear anything that looks too big, especially tops. I used to buy everything too big so that nothing was even the slightest bit clingy in any spots. Funny how 6 pounds at this weight makes so much of a difference vs when I was 250+. I love it.
rrspano
on 8/16/05 9:49 pm - Houston, TX
Jennifer, I am so happy that you have finally broken through. I am getting so discouraged. I am 10 months out and have only lost 84 pounds since I have started this journey. I have only lost 10 pounds in the last four months. I am just so frustrated. I have finally started to go back to barely consuming anything and adding back in the protein supplements but I have been hovering around the same four pounds for the last two weeks. Everyone that posts has done so much better. I am feeling like such a failure at this. I hate to think about going back to my doctor in October because I just feel so bad about things right now. I think I will trying the food diary again and see if I can shake this stall. I really thought that I would have lost more weight by now. My diet has changed so drastically since before the surgery. I guess that just goes to show how different we all are. I know now how hard I had struggled before surgery to lose weight and had such a hard time. I just thought that this would be a little easier with this new found sense of control. Thanks for listening and again congratulations on the weight-loss you have had. Robyn
Kolbrun V.
on 8/18/05 6:57 pm - Kopavogur
164 lbs and my 2 month PLATEAU IS BROKEN!!!!!!! Going back to basics really works! Just wanted to share Kolla 304/164/140
Most Active
Recent Topics
7 years post op & 80 lbs gained
jdelany · 1 replies · 1096 views
Cravings
J P. · 1 replies · 690 views
checking in
tinktee · 1 replies · 811 views
Checking in, it's been awhile
heather0824 · 0 replies · 577 views