Letter to Governor about Morbid Obesity

Jenner2874
on 9/27/05 8:50 am - DuBois, PA
I wrote a letter to my Governor about Morbid Obesity. I am sure some of you read it last week but I am posting it again because well I believe the more people that are aware and do something about this issue the more that will get done. I know a lot of you are post op as am I, but I still think that insurance companies need to pay for our after care programs such as nutritionists and exercise. Did you know that a lot of insurance companies will pay for treatment if you are aneroxic or bilemic but not if you are Obese. Is that not discrimination? I think We need to stand together and fight this issue and write to our local and federal officials anyway here we go with my letter again. Feel free to copy it and change it how you need it, or i Encourage you to write your own. Thanks Jenna Dear Governor Rendell: I am writing as a tax-payer, registered voter, and concerned citizen, in regards to the issue of the limited options for the morbidly obese citizens of Pennsylvania. The American Society for Bariatric Surgery (ASBS) defines morbid obesity as individuals that are over 100 lbs or more overweight. This term refers to the threat to health that of excess weight implies. Body Mass Index (BMI) is used as a guideline. Having a BMI of 40 or greater is considered morbidly obese. Lack of respect for the morbidly obese is an issue of concern. A survey of severely obese individuals found that nearly eighty percent reported being treated disrespectfullyc.this intense prejudice cuts across age, sex, religion, race and socioeconomic status.h (http://www.asbs.org/html/patients/rationale.html) Obesity is not identified as what it truly is: a multifactorial, chronic disease that leads to death and many health problems such as: ? High blood pressure ? High Colestorol ? Diabetes ? Higher risk of cancer ? Sleep Apnea ? Joint Reconstruction/Knee Replacement ? Depression/Anxiety ? Stress Incontinence ? Acid reflux Disease ? Edema Currently, many large health insurance providers in our state will not cover medical or surgical treatment: dietary counseling, exercise counseling, psychological counseling, medical weight loss programs run by physicians, and gastric bypass surgery. Most insurance providers will not include coverage for surgical treatment. (Highmark, Keystone, Select Blue, Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Atena, Cigna, Medicare, and Medicaid) without demanding that patients prove that they have participated in a physician-supervised weight loss program for three to six months before surgery can be authorized. The catch twenty two is, the insurance company will not pay for the supervised diet. If weight is gained on the diet, they say the patient does not have the discipline to have the surgery, if it is lost, then they say they can do it on their own and donft need surgery. This is their scapegoat for not paying for the surgery. I do not understand why insurance companies will spend billions of dollars for obesity related diseases and illnesses, such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, diabetes, joint reconstruction and replacement on knees, anxiety and depression, acid reflux disease etcc,. But they will not pay to fix the cause of the diseases and illnesses. It has been proven that gastric bypass cures or greatly improves all of the above mentioned, as well as gives the patient an 80 percent less chance of developing any type of cancer. The American Society for Bariatric Surgery (ASBS) If obesity is viewed as gpreventableh is not HIV or lung cancer from smoking even more gpreventableh? Yet, there is not a lack of access to treatment for either HIV or smoking-related illnesses. Itfs the same with drug addiction and alcohol related programs and illnesses. Would it not go unnoticed if HIV drug treatment was suddenly gnot coveredh by a health insurance group or if a self-insured employer decided that it would exclude coverage for that benefit? That would immediately be considered discrimination and they would be sued. If a self-insured employer EXCLUDES bariatric surgery or medical weight loss programs, are they not discriminating against their obese employees? It is estimated that about 6 million people suffer from obesity and related illnesses. The American Society for Bariatric Surgery (ASBS) That number is rising every year. Research shows that a child with a morbidly obese parent has a much higher risk of being a morbidly obese adult. THERE MUST NOT BE ANY OBSTACLES TO TREATMENT FOR THE OBESE, A DISEASE THAT THREATENS TO NEGATIVELY AFFECT THE LIFE-EXPECTANCY OF MILLIONS. I am an advocate for a group that is ignored, criticized and disrespected: the morbidly obese. I encourage you to do what you can, as my Governor, to see that insurance companies in our state are either forced to include coverage for obesity-related treatment -surgical and medical. Or that they are held accountable for the early deaths of those morbidly obese who are denied access to treatment. Research data indicates that the only effective treatment for clinically severe obesity is gastric bypass surgery. At the very least, access to this treatment should NOT be denied. The American Society for Bariatric Surgery (ASBS) My medical records will indicate that after having gastric bypass surgery these illnesses and diseases have either been cured completely or greatly improved: high blood pressure, high cholesterol (dropped from 272 to 148), borderline diabetic, sleep apnea, anxiety and depression, joint pain and right knee dislocation, acid reflux disease and stress incontinence. I have lost over 180 pounds in less than one year. I am the healthiest I have ever been in my entire adult life. I ask that others, who were like me, have the opportunity and advantage of this life saving surgery, which should not be considered cosmetic or elective. It is proven this method of treatment not only works but can save lives and save the insurance companies, billions of dollars in long term health care. Sincerely,
joyce R.
on 10/13/05 11:58 am - Valencia, CA
Wow, I completely agree with you! Why are we always the group that everyone still feels comfortable discriminating against?
BlkNectar
on 10/19/05 6:01 pm - Middletown, CT
RNY on 10/05/04 with
Although I live in another state, I feel the same way. Insurence should cover or partially cover the reconstructive end as well. After losing a lot of weight, with all the sagging skin and insurence not covering any re-constructive surgery, unless there are medical reasons. Well, I have a lot of problems with this and wish that insurence companies would realize that the surgery is just part of the problem. I have seen and heard such stories of depression after losing the weight and seeing the body, it kinds of defeats the purpose, although the surgery was a godsend. I know for me, I am lucky that I did not have a lot of weight to lose , but for many, they are getting desperate with seeing their bodies with all kinds of skin hanging and some even wishing that they did not have the surgery because they do not have the money for the re-construction. It is so important when thinking about this surgery that you tell people to make sure that they have some financial means for the skin tighting and removal, and I believe the insurance companies should cover that. Keep up the good work!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
7 years post op & 80 lbs gained
jdelany · 1 replies · 1096 views
Cravings
J P. · 1 replies · 690 views
checking in
tinktee · 1 replies · 811 views
Checking in, it's been awhile
heather0824 · 0 replies · 577 views