Gained 6 pounds!!!!!

jessesgrl
on 11/29/05 12:13 am - El Paso, TX
Okay I just need to know how everyone else is doing because I am really freaking out here. I went to visit some family over the Thanksgiving holiday and just got on the scale today and it says that I have gained 6 pounds!!!!! I am really depressed about this. I did eat a few things I shouldnt have but I dont think I went over board. I am supposed to start my period soon but I usually only gain about 3 pounds around this time and then quickly lose it and then some. I am really scared that the Honeymoon is over and now its time to work. I am really hating the holidays and all the sweets that will be going around. I have a high tolerance for sugar so I dont really dump unless it is a whole lot. I need to know from those who have had their surgery around the same time if they are still losing or have stopped or are fighting the GAIN. I am below gaol at the present time but if I keep this up I will definitly be in trouble. I cant go back to what I was. I am really scared. Thanks for listening, Laura
Gina Beana
on 11/29/05 2:07 am - Wilson, NC
Laura, Try not to freak out too much. I am 13 months out of surgery now and find it harder to keep the weight off too. I tend to bobble around the same 3-4 lbs. up and down for quite some time. After swearing that I would never be able to get out of the 160's, I am bobbling around here in the 150's now and wanting to be in the 140's. The good news is that you are weighing yourself still. I think that is real important now especially since we are able to eat larger quantities and more sweets. The honeymoon probably is coming to an end, but at least you know what you have to do to keep things in check. That was the idea behind the surgery to begin with. I try real hard to just keep things out of the house that tempt me. It's hard especially with the holidays here. I always volunteer to clean up, and put food away right away. That way I dont keep picking all day at things that I know that I shouldn't be having. I wish you the best of luck, and Congratulations on making your goal. I am 7lbs. away and cant wait to finally say I'm there!
jessesgrl
on 11/29/05 5:34 am - El Paso, TX
Gina, Thank you for your words of encouragement. I just find myself thinking about food a lot more than in the last past year. And I do find that I can eat a lot more. I have such a horrible sweet tooth. I guess it is time for me to start exercising and drinking more water. I cant rely on just this surgery anymore. I really just want to maintain. Congrats on your weightloss...you are doing awesome!!! I know you will make it to goal. Take Care, Laura
slimsweetie2004
on 12/1/05 8:13 pm - Clayton, IN
Hi Laura, This is "normal", I guess. I am gaining and losing the same 3-5lbs the past month or so. Before that, I had been stuck gaining and losing a previous 3-5 lbs for about 3 months. I hate it. I too, am trying to avoid the sweets - its hard around the holidays. And especially now that I am so far out, the sugar isnt affecting me too much anymore. (sigh) We just have to keep pluggin on, and try to focus and stay on track. Good luck! Susan
talkingkatz
on 12/5/05 10:58 am - Maple Valley, WA
I think it may be expected - the body needs time to adjust after losing the large quantity of the weight. It's been happening to me, too - it seems at about the 10 pound mark. However, I usually find I'm getting too much salt, not enough water and when dropping salt, drinking more fluids and adding more protein - the weight loss has started up again - even though not as dramatic a drop as experienced before. Something else - I'm now at a set-point - a weight I was stable at for a time on the way up to the top weight. I'm wondering if you are at a former set point you may have experienced on the way up the scale? I think the body will find that point again and seems to want to hover up and down around that particular spot. I'm hoping it will drop down from that point at some ~seems like dreadfully long~ time when we're so used to losing quicker after the WLS. It seems like a lot of the Thanksgiving foods also have a lot of SALT in them causing fluid retention. I've noticed -since watching the scale too closely - that once the water is released - I can drop a LOT on the scale. Big loss - if you keep the fluids moving through your body. I know we've all heard that before - but it seems to be true. If I'm not mistaken, just 1 gallon of water weighs 8 POUNDS !! It COULD be all water weight. Don't give up yet - try to look at the long haul. I'm trying to do the same but wi**** would happen as quickly as it did during the first 6 months. Hang in there
TweedleDum
on 12/7/05 10:19 pm - Hattiesburg, MS
You need to always watch what you are eating. It is especially harder around the holidays. People making candy and all these parties to attend. The worst part of all of this is the muching/grazing. I found myself going back up right around Thanksgiving and I freaked out. I wont allow myseld to get over 160. If I even start heading that way, I star****ching what I am eating. Going back to the basics. Water - protein... This is not an easy journey and once we have lost - dont ever think we wont regain. Its always possible and you have to want to not want to be fat again. I read someone on the main board once saying: Nothing tastes as good as being skinny feels. Although I could disagree - I wont.. Life is so much better now. Its just a learning process. We are all still learning together.
deborahdgale
on 12/27/05 10:13 pm - glace bay, Canada
hi there oct 21st 04 here im below goal too and bobbing from 138 ish to 146 ish same 8 lbs although its prolly a god thing for the gain as i really shouldnt loose more but its hard to get you head around that fact. I too geta wee bit nervous seeing the scale go up and it unnerves me that i smile when it goes down now when i am below goal. Its scarry that i can actually smile about loosing more when I know that I shouldnt. I guess ive been praying for numbers to go lower its hard to break that cycle and feel good about maintaining and accepting th occationaly 5 lbs gain depending on time of month stress water weight etc. Chin up your not alone i bet all of us in the maintence phase are seeing the rebound of a few pounds
Most Active
Recent Topics
7 years post op & 80 lbs gained
jdelany · 1 replies · 1096 views
Cravings
J P. · 1 replies · 690 views
checking in
tinktee · 1 replies · 811 views
Checking in, it's been awhile
heather0824 · 0 replies · 577 views