getting a revision

DarlinIYQ
on 2/7/04 10:18 pm - Kettering, OH
I had a large stoma from the very beginning (see profile for story) and I am now finally scheduled for a revision, on Feb 19, 2004. I feel like I am getting a second chance, well, more like a first chance since I never felt like I had the first chance to begin with. I have never felt any fullness, so it has been a long year of self discipline. I am down to 185, but have been stuck at 185 since last August,,, long long plateau. And before that I was stuck at 195 from March (4 months postop) to August (9 months postop). So, I am a plateua queen, that is for sure...you think your little one or two month plateau stinks, be thankful you have not had to endure my one 5 month plateau and now my current 6 month plateau. Just wanted to post this, in case anyone else out there is struggling. this surgery does not work the first time for everyone. Deb
Janc57
on 8/27/06 12:57 pm
Hi Deb, Just wanted to ask you a question. Do you have to go through all the same testing and see all those doctors again when your having a Revision??? I had a Gastric Bypass on Nov. 22 2002 I was 288 pounds the day I had my surgery. I went down to 178 that was my lowest now almost 4 years later I am starting to gain weight back and I am scared to death I will gain all that weight back I am now 198 lbs. I read on this site you can have a Lap Band put on to slow down your eating. Is that what your having done? thanks for your time!!! Janc57
DarlinIYQ
on 8/29/06 3:06 am - Kettering, OH
Hi Jan, I did not have to go through the same testing, or see all those doctors again. My surgeon did have me take different tests, to find out why I was dumping all the time and never feeling full, and not losing weight. I had to get my heart tested due to dumping causing palpitations of the heart, but my heart was ok. Then I had to have an endoscopy to take a look (scope down my throat) at my stoma and stomach...that test showed a 1.5 inch wide stoma, he said no wonder I was dumping my food, food would just fall into my stomach down to my small intestine. To see how fast that was happening I had to have an MRI thingie. I went to the hospital, had to eat a radioactive egg sandwich, then lie on my back very still for 3 hours, I was cold and very bored. But that test showed the egg sandwich went straight to my small intestine and my small intestine was becoming my "stomach" so he knew I needed a revision to tighten the stoma (make it smaller) so I would not eat too much and it would not fall so fast into my small intestine. I had the revision Feb of 2004 and am now down to 142, wear junior size 5 jeans and medium tops. I cannot eat large amts of food, for instance, a bite or two of meat, a bite or two of veg. I cannot handle milk or sugar, makes me very ill (heart palpitations, nausea, sweating, weakness, general overall ill feeling) and lasts from 10-30 minutes. I don't know about the lap band, when I had my surgery in 2002, it was still new (the lap band) and my surgeon had been to meetings about it, and was not impressed. He now does them, but only if the person insists, he does not promote it, he still prefers the gastric bypass. My next endeavor is to start working w/ a nutritionist, my surgeon wants me to, and to have a hernia operation (incisional site). Good luck to you. Let me know how it goes. deb
Most Active
Recent Topics
7 years out and doing great
Linda W. · 0 replies · 528 views
almost 5 years out
Ray S. · 5 replies · 1061 views
4 years out!
Sandra C. · 1 replies · 637 views