Lap Surgery for ROUX Y versus OPEN Surgery

Shelley Rae B.
on 10/2/04 4:39 pm - Long Beach, CA
Anyone having difficulties deciding on a laporoscopy surgery versus an open surgery for Roux Y? The doctor says if I have a laporoscopy surgery, he can do it successfully, but I won't get *THE RING* .... I need to call him to clarify what that means? Anyone know? If I have an OPEN Roux Y surgery, I will be guaranteed *THE RING*.. LOL HELP!?!?!
CatherineJ
on 10/4/04 1:32 pm - IL
Hi, I'm very new here - first post in fact. I'm not going to be of any help with your question, I just wanted to wish you well. I too, am scheduled to have surgery in November - the 22nd to be exact. I'm doing the lapband surgery. I spoke to my doctor at length on deciding between the Roux-Y and the Band. The band seemed the way for me. My doctor did say he only does the Roux-Y open - something about the field of view. best of luck, Cat
sspev
on 10/4/04 2:08 pm - Seattle area (Everett), WA
I started researching this 3 months ago, and went to 2 surgeon's seminars (both in Seattle). Dr. James Weber does open, with a "ring". It's an extra procedure in which a small valve or port is inserted into the portion of the stomach that is bypassed. It is there so that in the future, if there is some problem or issue with that portion of the stomach, a radiologist can access it through the ring to scope it, and see what the issue is. I decided to have laparoscopic; enough people have the surgery and don't have a ring, that I'm not convinced that it's necessary. I do know that recovery and healing from laparoscopic is much easier for most people than recovery and healing from open surgery. Plus, at a support group meeting, I saw the laparoscopic scars of one woman, and the open scar from another person. Much less scarring. Down the way, after all the weight is gone, if panniculectomy is an option, that will create scar enough! A book you may want to read is: The Doctor's Guide to Weight Loss Surgery" by Louis Fancbaum. Hope this helps! By the way, my surgery is in a month -- 11/2/04! Take care, and good luck on your decision. Susan
Pam R.
on 10/10/04 12:02 pm - Lacey, u
I'm having my surgery on 11/2 also! Are you having it done in Redmond? I am SOOOO anxious to get this going. Thank goodness the time frame from the date I was told my surgery date to the surgery itself is short or I'd never get any sleep! I'm having the lap for Roux Y also -- no band. A few years back I had a large tumor removed from my abdomen so we are a little concerned about scar tissue -- but Dr. Bock is optimistic we'll be able to stay with the lap. But here's what I say, do what's best. It's definately better to do the lap, but if open would make more sense, get out the seam ripper! Susan, keep in touch with how things are going ... I'll do the same. Take care! Pam
LongBeachDiva
on 10/5/04 2:45 pm - Long Beach, ca
hi Shelley I am in LOng Beach too I am getting the fobi , bypass on november 8th . my prayers are with you hun . email me sometime . [email protected] Alena
Most Active
Recent Topics
Helloooooooooo out there!
Sphinxy · 1 replies · 809 views
where is everyone?
Moma V. · 4 replies · 1022 views
New Year coming....back on track!
Patti N · 1 replies · 856 views
Help
Jan M. · 7 replies · 1163 views
Iron deficieny
Dru B. · 4 replies · 973 views