URGENT: I'm sinking and need help!!

Amy N.
on 11/11/05 9:20 pm - Groveland, FL
Hi I'm Amy and yesterday was my 1 year anniverary. I have lost 106lbs to date. I have not lost any in months. I started at 285 and am now 179. Here is my problem. I have never been back to my surgeon since I had my staples out. I have had many problems with the surgery since the beginning. Better now though. I have no idea what vitamins I should be taking. I am taking 2 multivitamins daily--or at least sometimes. I have lost ALL muscle due to insufficient protein. And even worse yet--I eat 1 or 2 meals a day only and I eat chocolate the rest of the day. Probably 4 times a day. I dont know how to stop myself and I am scared. I dont know how much protien a day I should be getting. It use to be 60 a day I think in the beginning--does it stay the same? I finally broke down and made an appointment with my surgeon on Monday. I am so nervous, not knowing what he will say. Also, I am bipolar and have had many problems with this over the past year. I believe I am getting stable now. I think this has contributed to my destructive behavior. Any advice or info I should be doing? Please help me. Thank-you, Amy
AngelRitt
on 11/12/05 7:12 am - Islip Terrace, NY
Hi Amy, I'm so sorry that you're going through such a tough time. As for the vitamins, I currently take 1 calcium pill (citracal), 1 iron(prescription),2 multivitamins,2500mg biotin(strenghtens hair,nails,&skin) and B12 twice a week under the tongue. I eat about 3 meals a day and I snack a couple of times a day. My snacks consist of fruit or sugar free cookies(no more than 3),pretzels, sf pudding, etc. If you don't think you are getting enough protein definitely drink protein shakes. It's very important to get enough protein. You can become very ill if not. I hope things go well with the dr on monday. Keep us posted. Good luck and God bless! ~Angel 255/222/130/120
mrs.3m
on 11/13/05 1:37 am - Mesa, AZ
I think the first step is realizing that you have a problem. Now that you have taken that step, it is great to hear you ask for help. I think a visit with your surgeon is definetly the right move. Then, is there a nutritionist that you worked with pre-op? If so, make an appt with her/him to help get on track. Maybe also see your PCP and have a full blood workup done to see where all your levels are. I don't know what the protien gram intake should be. I just always make sure that I eat my protien first at every meal. And you know the chocolate is bad, so I won't even go there. Vitamins, I take a multi in the the morning and at night, calcium after breakfast and B-12 2 or 3 times a week, depending on my energy level. I don't take extra iron since I take 2 multi's a day and there is enough in that for me. Let us know how the appt goes on Monday. We are here for support. Melissa
Karry
on 11/13/05 8:46 pm - Argyle, NY
Hi Amy, First of all, you are o.k....your post had the sound to me that you feel that all is lost. It's not. We are all here to help you. In regards to your vitamins, I think all drs. are different. I take a mega-multi vit., calcium, sublingual B12 (under the tongue), benefiber (chewable), every morning. I take chelated iron every other day. Have you had any lab done to check your levels since surgery? That tells alot about what is going on with your body. I have a real hard time eating only 3 meals. I do much better eating 4-5 small meals a day. I have a small bowl of cereal for breakfast (grapenuts, kix, etc.) or maybe a piece of fruit. About a few hours later I will drink my fluids, (coffee, water, iced tea). An hour or two later I may have a handful of nuts or a protien cereal bar. Wait a while and drink more fluids. Then have a small salad or a cup of soup. Again wait then drink my fluids. I try to have at least 2-3 of my meals consist of some sort of protien. Luckily I have lost no hair and have been in great health. As far as the chocolate goes...I can't or should say haven't tried it. I was a major chocohalic before surgery and don't want to tempt myself. My body has a hard time with sugar now anyway. I get very shaky, sweaty, clammy just from yogurt or cereal with too high of a sugar content. I can only imagine what chocolate would do to me. YIKES!! If I do have a sweet craving (very rare) I will have a SF cookie or SF pudding. I even have SF hot cocoa and on cold days that really hits the spot!! Please keep us informed on how you are doing. I am concerend for you. Please remember you are not alone. Take care and keep positive... Karry 311/165 past goal and still going.....
So Blessed!
on 11/15/05 9:24 pm
(((HUG))) Sue ZQ
Most Active
Recent Topics
Helloooooooooo out there!
Sphinxy · 1 replies · 815 views
where is everyone?
Moma V. · 4 replies · 1028 views
New Year coming....back on track!
Patti N · 1 replies · 858 views
Help