Question about Caffeine?

Judy Blackshear
on 1/26/06 12:23 pm - Canton, OH
Should we avoid it or limit our intake? Since January 1st, I've been back on track with this weight loss. I've eliminated diet pop and snack foods like potatoe chips and sweets. Started exercising at the gym and tried watching more closely what and how much I eat. I usually have a protein drink followed by a large cup of coffee for breakfast. I notice that the coffee seems to fill me up and help surpress my appetite. Usually this holds me until lunch time. I just heard recently on one of Oprah's reruns that if you drink green tea for six weeks that you could loose 10 lbs, without doing anything else. So, in the afternoon around 3 p.m., I will snack on a protein bar or maybe a piece of fruit and have a cup or two of green tea. Am I doing more harm than good with the caffeine? I just remember on certain diets, they would always tell you to drink de-caf. I've been at a standstill weight loss wise since September 179-180 lbs. The scale is finally moving. Since the being of the month, I've lost 4.5 lbs. I'm down to 175 lbs! I have at least 30 more pounds I want to loose to reach my goal (140-145). Does anyone have any advise? jab RYN 11/22/2004 258/190/180/175
AngelRitt
on 1/27/06 4:14 am - Islip Terrace, NY
My doctor tells us not to drink caffeine. He tells us to either drink water or decaf drinks. You can find decaf teas. In fact I use decaf Tea to go by 4C.. it's sugar free and you just add it to your water bottle and shake. ~Angel 255/222/130 at Goal!
Sphinxy
on 1/27/06 2:57 pm - Redlands, CA
My doc didn't advise one way or the other... his major concern with dirinks was the sugar content... high sugars can stack the weight on without you even realizing where it came from... OJ is also a culprit in this regard. I have personally found that caffeine improves my energy level... however, you must be committed to taking your iron sources religously and drinking extra fluids to compensate for the diuretic effect of caffeine... in other words, don't count caffenated drinks into your total fluids for the day... also realize that because caffeine makes you pee more, you also lose a lot more of the water soluble vitamins... and you must be committed to your vitamin supplements as well. (the only vitamines that are fat soluble and not lost in this way are Vit A, D, E and K). Personally, never drank coffee or caffeinated drinks before surgery, but have become and iced tea FIEND since surgery... go figure!! B
Judy Blackshear
on 1/28/06 8:50 am - Canton, OH
Thank you both for responding. I've notice that I too have more energy when I drink the caffeine (coffee or tea). Usually I have a couple of cups of tea at work before I go to the gym. Good advise. I'll have to remember more fluids. Well, weigh in is tomorrow. I hope and pray the scale does something besides going up. Thanks again! jab
SGRenteria
on 2/1/06 3:33 am - Roswell, NM
I do decaff everything. Also remember that if you take iron caffein chelates the iron renduring it ineffective.
Judy Blackshear
on 2/1/06 1:06 pm - Canton, OH
Thank Sandra, I decided to give the caffeine up. I'm trying to get the last of this weight off and I don't want to hinder it in any way. I got several e-mails and they all seemed to point to the fact that caffeine is not good for you when you are trying to loose weight. Thanks again, jab
Most Active
Recent Topics
Helloooooooooo out there!
Sphinxy · 1 replies · 809 views
where is everyone?
Moma V. · 4 replies · 1022 views
New Year coming....back on track!
Patti N · 1 replies · 856 views
Help
Jan M. · 7 replies · 1163 views
Iron deficieny
Dru B. · 4 replies · 973 views