Problems! Any advice?

Crystal S.
on 1/11/04 11:22 am - Newnan, GA
I seem to be having a problem getting all of my fluids in on a daily basis. It appears as if I am not getting in more than, on a usual basis, 16 oz per day. I know I need way more than that to survive! I have noticed that I am becoming dehydrated, to a point that I feel a little scared. Has anyone ever had, or has, this problem? I also seem to be hungry all the time, but cannot eat much when I do eat. I just feel as if I am not doing something right, or could make all of this easier somehow. I am only 3 weeks post-op, so any advice would be greatly appreciated! It seems like I have stopped losing (which I will find out tomorrow) even though I don't eat much, and I eat the right kinds of foods when I do! Very frustrating! Thanks for everything! Crystal
Beverly R.
on 1/19/04 4:33 am - Moultrie, Ga
Hi Crystal, I read your post and I truly felt for you. It has been so long since I had VBG. I had it back in 87, open abdominal surgery. I can recall feeling hungry, not getting those liquids in that I felt I needed. I dont have any advice to give you specifically. I can tell you that for me the weakness, the inability to get in enough fluids, and that hunger passed in a matter of time. If at anytime you are having symptoms of dehydration that would be something to bring to your Docs attention on an immediate basis. Some symptoms of dehydration are dry mouth, urinating less, dizziness or lightheadedness. You know your only body and if isnt feeling right please do let your Doc know. Perhaps there will be suggestions for you as well. I wanted you to know I read your post and I was concerned about you. Sincerely, Bev Ray
Crystal S.
on 1/19/04 5:44 am - Newnan, GA
Bev, Thank you for your sweet words! I have truly felt alone in this, even though I have a wonderful support system, and just knowing that you would take the time to respond made me feel better emotionally. I am still having the episodes of feeling dizzy and lightheaded. I've told my doc but don't know much more what to do. She told me to talk to the nutrionalist about it; I have, and I still have the problems. I figured that as I progress in my diet, it might get better. In the meantime, I've been out on medical leave from work for 5 weeks because of the dizziness. Not good, huh..... Thank you again for your kind words. I wanted to let you know that it meant alot to me. Sincerely, Crystal
Beverly R.
on 1/20/04 2:34 am - Moultrie, Ga
Crystal, I am more than glad to help you in anyway that I can. I remember how important it was to me after my surgery to be in contact with people who knew how I felt. Dont beat yourself up for being on leave for five weeks. Our bodies heal at varying rates. Your nutritionist really should be able to provide you with some information regarding which foods may help with your energy level. One thing to avoid with the dizziness is standing up quickly and taking off , ie to walk. Please rise slowly from a sitting position, once you are standing, then take a full minute or more to get your bearings and then walk. Another thing that I was thinking about.( dangerous when I start thinking,lol) perhaps your weakness and dizziness is not directly related to the surgery. I know in my case I would assume that the symptoms would be post op related. Perhaps something else is going on. A inner ear infection could make you dizzy, cause the balance to be off. It wouldnt hurt to have a basic blood panel drawn, for example a smac 22 as it is known by our Docs here. A Blood test that checks your Complete Blood Count ( low hemoglobin or hematocrit can cause dizziness and weakness), a Comprehensive Lab Test would check everything with one stick and then your Doc would have a good look at how everything is going. Crystal dont be afraid to advocate for yourself. If the Nutritionist isnt answering your concerns,then call back, go bac****il your needs are met. You deserve nothing short of the BEST. I truly hope you will start to feel better soon. I know for me that weakness and tiredness were one hurdle that I had to overcome. I did find that taking short walks, thru out the day, with rest periods in between was a great help to me. Bottomline*** Take Care of yourself and dont be afraid to ask for help Dear. Lets keep in touch. I want to see you feeling better. You have so many happy days ahead as your body adjust and you lose the weight. I am so excited for you Crystal. HUGZ, Bev Ray
Most Active
Recent Topics
Gastro-Gastric Fistula after VBG
csingram · 0 replies · 4319 views
VBG revision
okgal50 · 9 replies · 8578 views
sleeve or the switch
Kerri_L_Denter · 1 replies · 8099 views