Nothing like a slap in the face

ANGIE0502
on 8/8/12 1:08 am
Ok.  I haven't posted in quite awhile-just lurked and reading-gleaning for encouragement from other's posts.  And I thank all of you.

Now, I feel I must post and cry a bit.

My work has a health assessment program.  Everything was great until....

the doctor with the results (who knows I've had gastric bypass as we've discussed at it at length the past 2 years) told me that I have to lose 5 lbs to have an acceptable BMI since I missed their mark by .3.  Their mark is 28 for BMI.   He proceeded to tell me all sorts of helpful hints (many of which I found useless after bypass) like eating specific protein bars as meal replacements.  That would be fine if the ones he recommended weren't so high in sugar.  And, because I've had bypass "This should be easy for you."

What the h.....
He could have well just slapped me and gotten the same result from me-the dumbfounded look on my face that a doctor, knowing my history, would even say that.   Ok, discuss that the mark is 28 and my BMI is 28.3.  But don't say "You have to lose 5 pounds to be in the acceptable BMI range". 

I've lost 100 lbs since my surgery.  To me, that's a success.  Yes, I'm still obese by the numbers.  But, I'm a heck of a lot healthier than I was 2 years ago.  Cholesterol and glucose WAY down.  Blood pressure WAY down.  Weight WAY down, but I guess not down enough. 

Well, I guess I'll put my big girl panties on and work at losing the 5 lbs in the next 2 weeks before the assessment period is over.  You know-since it's so easy for me. 

BAH!!!! Some people. 

I've vented.  Thanks so much for listening. 
Angie
"Assumption is the root of many problems"

nieba
on 8/8/12 1:56 am - Rialto, CA
VSG on 09/04/12 with
You know, some people have the bed-side manner of a fish!

One: it is a good thing your work has this assessment for the employees. Gee, a company that cares about its employees. What a concept.

Two: Since you have had the bypass, you know what is best for your system. Just make sure you are losing the weight for you and not what ill-mannered doctor is saying.

Three: CONGRATS!!!! On the 100lbs off! Some of us that are still going through pre-op waiting for our days to come, look up to all of you on the losers bench. The fact that you were able to lose the weight and for the last couple of years keep it off, that is an inspiration to us pre-op'ers.

Good Luck on your new goal.

Jennifer B.
(Can't wait to meet the new me!)

HW: 288  SW: 270.2   CW: 199.8  GW: 170-180   Hgt: 5'10" 

MyLady Heidi
on 8/8/12 5:18 am
Warning, don't get yourself so upset you eat to feel better, I love to do that, and guess what happens you gain weight instead of lose weight.  I especially like to do that when I have an upcoming special occasion I want to lose for, its like my body says ummm no, you are at my command not the other way around.  It is a fight but you can do it.  Prove you can....
Miss Redd
on 8/8/12 5:54 am - Lancashire, United Kingdom
 I totally get this!! Big hugs!! Me? Yeah, I've lost over 200 lbs and had the nurse go into grat detail about how to eat less and extercise more... You know- to lose more weight . Oh!!! Then she eyed my flabby upper arms and said " you know, you can lift little cans of veggies or water bottles to lose some of the upper arm flab."  I looked at her in total disbelief!!! LOL !!! Yeah just as soon as you figure out how to put the elastic back into your houndog face..will I magically lose the "flab" in my arms.

Write a letter of complaint an do NOT believe her for ANY reason!!!!! ;))

Peace,
T

Pre Surgery 383 Surgery 359 Current 180

NEW YOUTUBE Channel!

MzKeepinOn
on 8/8/12 12:58 pm
I am sorry, but i totally LOL! Thats fantastic! I wish u would have said that to her!
(deactivated member)
on 8/9/12 2:38 pm - WA
 bwahhahahaha!!! 

Generic User_Name
on 8/8/12 6:00 am
 How moronic are these people?

What if you don't lose 5 lbs????  They can't fire you if you don't lose 5 lbs can they.

Don't stress the idiots.  

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/8/12 8:17 am
Well...
Due to past high weigh, you most likely have bigger - stringer bones and muscles. Also - you have excess skin (most likely) and having PS will allow you to lose the 5 lbs in one day.

I would ask him for scitific study to show that BMI is worth anything.

If anything else - I woudlk ask for more meaninful number like i.e. body composition: body fat %, water, body lean mass. 
Based on medical history - they may be able to make expemtion in your case.

BTW: you knwo how I can lose 5lbs in 3 days - bowel prep like before colonoscopy - light food for one -2 days and then water only for 1 full day and the volon prep... clean the colon for one day.  Lost of water. The day after - the 5 lbs will be gone. Some will be water, some - just what is in our guts.

I would challenge their BMI health assestment.  Object to that in writting and ask for exemtion - and allow my BMI to be great as long as I am

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Kat1313
on 8/8/12 10:04 am - Jacksonville , FL
RNY on 04/08/13
What an idiot.  Sometimes I think doctors just don't think before they open their mouths.
You've accomplished a tremendous amount, don't be discouraged by .3, an arbitrary number at that. 

Carol S.
on 8/8/12 10:47 am - Milwaukee, WI
 I'm sorry but that sounds like a load of crap on their part.  It sounds like they need some education about how this WLS thing works.
Carol

SW/276 CW 150 GW 185

9 Years out.

Most Active