Lap Band

Dawn Goss
on 4/26/11 2:10 am - Holcomb, MS
I had the lapband surgery in the middle of aug 2010, before the surgery I lost 35 pds. Since the surgery I have not lost a thing, I am walking 1 to 2 miles a day, I started this 3 weeks ago. I am getting fustrated and do not know what to do. Can someone please tell me what I can do to loose this weight. thanks
Dawn Goss
Nic M
on 4/26/11 2:18 am
Has your band been filled?   You'd think with the exercise you'd lose, even with the band unfilled. BUT, I know... I work out daily (without a band... had emergency removal years ago) and I still don't lose. Some bodies hold on to the weight more tenaciously, I think!

Have you talked to your doc or nutritionist? Maybe you're in need of a meal plan that will help you?

Good luck!

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Hermosa L
on 4/26/11 2:18 am
1. you need to speak to your doctor and or the office staff
2. you need to journal your food and maybe use a tracker like myfitnesspal to see approx how many calories you are consuming
3. you need to be honest with yourself are you following your doctors after care program ?? The rules.. 3-4 ounces of meat 1 - 2 ounces of veggies and or complex carb or fruit .. 3 meals a day and 1 snack.. maybe sure your eating enough protein.
4. Are you dieting? I know some people dont like that word but to be honest we have to watch what we eat we can't simply eat small portions of not good for us foods.. we need to find a balance of healthy foods 80% and maybe a few treats on the occasion or 20% or less of the time. Simply eating 2 slices of pizzzzaa versus a chicken breast with a side of green beans.. we need to choose the chicken more often over the pizzzza ... not just for losing weight but the sake of health benefits to our bodies

Good Luck .. I really think your best approach is speaking to your doctor and or office staff and see what help they can offer you... my doctor office offers classes, support groups etc.
(deactivated member)
on 4/26/11 2:24 am
From your profile I see your BMI is > 60. Like most of use who become that obese, you are probably metabolically challenged and may benefit from revision to the DS.

www.dsfacts.com

www.dssurgery.com/procedures/revisional-weight-loss-surgery. php
Bette B.
on 4/26/11 7:20 am
 Maybe she should find out about getting her band to work optimally before she goes stampeding into another surgery she MAY NOT NEED!

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

(deactivated member)
on 4/27/11 12:54 am
The band has worked out for a few in those BMI ranges, but these procedures are not made to treat the severe obese. This is clearly documented in medical research. If her band hasn't helped her for a few months, than she should at least know that she may benefit from revision.
Bette B.
on 4/27/11 1:15 am
 Tell you what, hon. Why don't you get back to us about revisions when you've had your stitches out. 

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Lisaizme
on 4/26/11 2:40 am - TX
My BMI was over 60, and I've done well with the band.

I realize I'm a "results may not be typical" bandster.

I agree with Hermosa's points and would like to add, make sure you're getting 64oz of fluid a day, preferably water, but any low low calorie fluid will help.   No sodas or any other carbonated drinks.

And try not to drink for at least 30 minutes after eating.   You may find it helpful to not drink before eating too, but that doesn't matter quite as much.

I track all my food on livestrong.com/thedailyplate.  ( their exercise tracker is overly generous on calories burned.. be cautious and cut their estimates at least in half if you use it).
Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

(deactivated member)
on 4/27/11 1:25 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
With all due respect, I'd like to ask you a question, but first I'd like to congratulate you on your amazing weight loss. My hat is off to you for being so successful. CONGRATULATIONS.

Looking at your WLS ticker it looks like and depending upon your height, that you may or may not have a BMI that would put you in the obese category like myself.

I know I am far from being where I should be.I am aware that being in the obese category still puts me at a greater risk of heart disease and other life threatening conditions as it did prior to my having WLS.

When I chose to get the band I didn't realize how hard it was going to be to get out of the obese category. I am very close to the " overweight " category, but I can't seem to get there no matter how hard I try.

Every morning I step onto the scale so that I don't have regain, I workout at the gym as much as possible. I had a MVA back in 2007 and for the last week and a half I have been unable to get to the gym. My nerve pain is off the charts, but I do everything I can to maintain my weight loss.

So my question is...Are you still in the obese category ?

Once again CONGRATULATIONS on a job well done and please know that my intention here is not to minimize your success in any way or to put down your choice of surgery. I am just trying to get a clearer understanding of your " not typical results "

Lisaizme
on 4/27/11 2:36 am - TX
It's ok and I'm perfectly fine with your question.

Yes, I am still in the Obese category according to the BMI.  I think.   Wait a sec and let me go check to be 100% sure.

Yep, I'm at about 31 which is Obese, but I'm only about 5 to 7 lbs away from only being Overweight. 

I'm one of those who doesn't think the BMI is the end-all/be-all of weight loss.   It's a decent starting place.. but it has some real faults.   It's not accurate for older folks (at 53, I'm getting there), those who've been MO for a long time because our bones are heavier and skew the results (20 years I think counts as a long time), or Athletes (not one yet,  but since I work out a minimum of 90 minutes 6 days a week.. and starting to run.. I think I'm getting there).

I may also have a significant amount of loose skin that if taken off.. would put me more in the Overweight category.  My primary goal is to get to 170 and see how that looks and feels.  Consult with PS and see how I feel about doing any other surgery.  To get to a "normal" BMI, I'd need to be about 150, which I'm afraid I might look sick... but we'll see.

Also, as an older post-menopausal female, I don't want to get TOO thin.  I want some meat on my hips to protect me from hip fractures.   I've already lost some bone density from weight loss (not a huge amount.. but it's there) and I'm afraid of losing more.   I saw my mom (a skinny minnie all her life) go through too many hip fractures.. I'd rather not go there.

Hope this answers your question? 
Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

Most Active