For all the band haters

Melanie V.
on 4/8/12 8:27 am - Denver, CO
 All I can say is when I go to support group I'm the only one with the band.  I'm the skinniest and haven't gained since my surgery 2 years ago.  People with the sleeve and Gastric bypass are struggling to keep weight off. So I'm happy. 
Surgery 2/3/10 Weight 207
Current 165
Goal 140
Believe you can and you're halfway there. -Theodore Roosevelt-
Ms Shell
on 4/8/12 8:59 am - Hawthorne, CA
No surgery is fool proof.  Some folks didn't need WLS either to lose weight so again, everyone is different.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

melly37
on 4/8/12 9:07 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
I Hope you are saying you are happy with your results and not saying that you are happy that others are struggling. 

The band isn't for everyone....I gave it four years.  I hope you have continued success with yours.  

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

(deactivated member)
on 4/8/12 9:12 am - Mexico
On April 8, 2012 at 3:27 PM Pacific Time, Melanie V. wrote:
 All I can say is when I go to support group I'm the only one with the band.  I'm the skinniest and haven't gained since my surgery 2 years ago.  People with the sleeve and Gastric bypass are struggling to keep weight off. So I'm happy. 

Funny how that works.  I only have three friends left with bands, everyone else has revised and my three friends are bigger than when they first got banded yet all my sleeved friends are at goal.

Somehow I'm not really sure I believe you.

But good luck anyway!
Hislady
on 4/8/12 10:47 am - Vancouver, WA
I didn't have any problems the first 2-3 years either outside of it just never worked. Give it a few more years you may or maynot still be happy with it. When even the surgeons refuse to do them anymore that says something. Good luck to you.
(deactivated member)
on 4/8/12 12:18 pm - Mexico
On April 8, 2012 at 5:47 PM Pacific Time, Hislady wrote:
I didn't have any problems the first 2-3 years either outside of it just never worked. Give it a few more years you may or maynot still be happy with it. When even the surgeons refuse to do them anymore that says something. Good luck to you.

Hislady... what about entire countries that don't do banding as a whole anymore?

MARIA F.
on 4/8/12 4:09 pm - Athens, GA

Melanie you're only 2 years out though. Many people have "success" when they are just 2 years out. How many of them even still have their band at 5 years? And if they do.............how many follow up surgeries have they had to have to correct band complications. If you want a surgery that has a chance of working 2 or 3 years and that's all you're concerned with, then fine. However if you want a WLS that is more effective long term, and without tons of complications then the band is NOT the way to go. I can almost guarantee that you will feel COMPLETELY differently about your band in just a few years!

FormerlyFluffy.com

(deactivated member)
on 4/9/12 12:25 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss Melanie,  I wish you continued success, and I'm sorry your perception of why I actually do hate the band prompted you to title your post in defense of your success, rather then in celebration of your success.

Celebrate your success Melanie, and make no excuses. You are safe, happy and successful, and that is what all of us with Failed bands want for you too. Any of my anti-band post's are just to educate and support those who are in the research phases of their WLS or those who ended up in the same situation as I and many others have.

Please enjoy the success, health, and happiness that the band has given you, and please keep in mind that it's not you personally that I am against, or your personal choice in surgery...it's the band itself that I am against.

Congratulations on your success Melanie

Success_Crop

justjudy
on 4/9/12 5:55 am - Canton, MI
Pumpkin-very nicely said.  Your post is a model for healthy and respectful disagreement.  Love it!

Judy

(deactivated member)
on 4/9/12 9:07 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
Thanks Judy
Most Active