Protein shake mix and vitamin question

Sara C.
on 8/21/12 12:29 pm - Belding, MI
So I have fallen off the wagon in the protein and vitamin dept.   Are they any good protein powders with the vitamins in it?  Are they yummy?  What other protein supp's do you suggest. 

Thanks much,

sara

The personal life deeply lived always expands into truths beyond itself.
Anais Nin
Surgical weight-289.6/Lowest weight postop-173

cajungirl
on 8/21/12 1:07 pm

No there aren't any protein powders that will give you sufficient vitamins necessary post-op.  Have you had your labs done lately, if not, PLEASE do so and get back on your vitamins.  Your health depends on it.

As for protein powders there are so many out there and our taste are different.  I tend to lean toward the milk based protein flavors (vanilla and chocolate).  Optimum Nutrition is my current choice although Click protein (coffee flavored is very good).  I want to try the Chike but haven't done so yet.

You might try ordering samples from vitalady.com if you aren't sure what you'll like. 

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

poet_kelly
on 8/21/12 1:26 pm - OH
What about ENS from Celebrate?  It has the equivalent of one multi plus 500 mg calcium citrate, and 25 grams protein?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/21/12 2:52 pm
That may be OK - but most people still have to add some additional vitamins and minerals based on thier labs.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

poet_kelly
on 8/21/12 2:55 pm - OH
Well, yes.  If you did two servings of ENS a day, you'd still need one or two doses of calcium citrate to get the 1500-2000 mg we need, and you'd need iron, and you'd need B12, and probably D3, and anything else your labs indicate you need.

Maybe I misunderstood the question.  If the OP meant to ask if there was a protein shake that has all the vitamins we need, then no, there's not.  But the ENS can take the place of a multivitamin and it does provide some of the calcium citrate we need.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

cajungirl
on 8/21/12 4:24 pm
 I guess if someone wants to drink 3-4 per day plus supplement with everything else it may be an option. I don't see where it would take the place of of supplementing. I'd also think it would be cost prohibitive for most. 

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

poet_kelly
on 8/21/12 1:25 pm - OH
The only good one I know of is ENS from Celebrate.  25 grams protein, the equivalent of one multi, and 500 mg calcium citrate.  The vanilla cake batter and chocolate flavors are pretty good.  I haven't tried the strawberry.

owlisn
on 8/21/12 3:05 pm - NC
 If you drink a protein shake with vitamins like iron in it, do you still need to space out your calcium 3-4 hours after the shake?
Allison

poet_kelly
on 8/21/12 3:08 pm - OH
On August 21, 2012 at 3:05 PM Pacific Time, owlisn wrote:
 If you drink a protein shake with vitamins like iron in it, do you still need to space out your calcium 3-4 hours after the shake?
Calcium blocks the absorption of iron, so you need to take your calcium at least two hours away from the iron if you want to absorb the iron.

Most Active
Recent Topics