How much do you exercise?

uscgraawl
on 9/15/15 1:50 pm
RNY on 07/31/15

Just curious how much time other people devote to exercising each day/week. I am about 6 1/2 weeks out and I am starting to build up my exercise routine. I find that I still get really tired if I exert myself and I don't want to overdo it, but I also want to make sure I am getting in enough to support weight loss. 

HW: 273 GW: 130 RNY - July 31, 2015 M1: 28 LBS M2: 11 LBS

hollykim
on 9/15/15 2:36 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 15, 2015 at 1:50 PM Pacific Time, uscgraawl wrote:

Just curious how much time other people devote to exercising each day/week. I am about 6 1/2 weeks out and I am starting to build up my exercise routine. I find that I still get really tired if I exert myself and I don't want to overdo it, but I also want to make sure I am getting in enough to support weight loss. 

exercise doesn't produce weight loss. It is good for your overall health,but that is bout it. 

Weight loss occurs from eating less than your body burns in calories so your body burns off all the stored fat.

uscgraawl
on 9/15/15 2:59 pm
RNY on 07/31/15

So I am going to have to disagree with you there. Exercise alone won't produce weight loss. Exercise however does cause you to burn more calories. Since what I eat is very little in terms of calories, adding exercise on top of that would cause me to lose weight still. My program wants us ideally to be exercising 5-6 days a week.  I have a real life example that exercise does help you to lose weight as my mom had the sleeve and lost all of her 100% of her excess weight in 10 months. 

hollykim
on 9/15/15 8:23 am, edited 9/15/15 8:23 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 15, 2015 at 2:59 PM Pacific Time, uscgraawl wrote:

So I am going to have to disagree with you there. Exercise alone won't produce weight loss. Exercise however does cause you to burn more calories. Since what I eat is very little in terms of calories, adding exercise on top of that would cause me to lose weight still. My program wants us ideally to be exercising 5-6 days a week.  I have a real life example that exercise does help you to lose weight as my mom had the sleeve and lost all of her 100% of her excess weight in 10 months. 

we can certainly agree to disagree. I have lost 118# doing no formal exercise.

uscgraawl
on 9/15/15 3:59 pm
RNY on 07/31/15

And that is awesome that you have been able to do that. I am not knocking your journey or saying you are doing it wrong, so please don't take it that way. Every person is different and so will our paths to getting to where we want to be. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/16/15 5:20 am

I lost 100% of my EW with no real exercise... 

Problem with some exrcise is that it may make you eat /drink more. Cardio exercise may burn mostly carbs and cause low blood sugar. Some trainers may advice you to eat more carbs before exercise to prevent that or eat some when you feel BS dropping... So what is a point of that? 

For me- moderate exercise - like fast walking, yoga, hiking, - low cardio more fat burning exercise in moderation were the best option. Enough movement to increase my circulation and maintain my muscles, increase flexibility, than strenuous cardio to burn too many calories too fast... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Laura in Texas
on 9/16/15 11:00 am

The problem with that mentality is that people think they can eat MORE when they exercise. Unless you are an Ironman Triathlete, we really do not burn as many calories as we think we do. Those of us here that have been successful keeping the weight off, do not eat more calories simply because we exercise.

I walk around 12000 steps a day, but that is it. I know it is good for my heart and makes me feel better mentally, but I know it does absolutely nothing to help me lose weight. If I want to lose weight, I have to eat fewer calories. Lots of studies have proven this to be true.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

uscgraawl
on 9/16/15 4:40 am, edited 9/16/15 4:41 am
RNY on 07/31/15

I actually don't think I can eat more because I exercise. I am not expecting exercise to "make up" for bad eating habits. I actually went through a program where I learned how to calculate how much I am burning when I exercise. I always tend to err on on the lower side of calories burned because people tend to overestimate how much they burn and underestimate how much they consume.

Again, I am not saying exercise alone will cause me to lose weight, but is one tool for supporting my weight loss surgery and journey.

(deactivated member)
on 9/15/15 2:51 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

I bike to work (~15 miles round trip) 1-2 days per week, see a personal trainer once a week, hit the gym 1-2 more times a week, maybe play Dance Dance Revolution once per week, and usually go for a hike or longer (~30 mile) bike ride on the weekends.

No, exercise alone doesn't usually produce weight loss because most exercise doesn't burn enough calories to make a difference. But I know my calories burned to calories eaten ratio is a lot higher on days that include a 2.5 hour bike ride, and I'm certainly losing faster than I would be eating the same number of calories but sitting on my butt every day. It's also something to do that isn't eating or thinking about eating, which is valuable on its own. I also find cravings are easier to fight after a workout -- I know how much work I just did and am a lot less willing to sacrifice progress for food that I don't need.

Queen JB
on 9/15/15 3:01 pm
RNY on 07/20/15

I'm 8 weeks out, and since week 2 I've done the same routines--just increasing intensity as I get stronger. Everyday, no matter what, I use the elliptical machine for at least 30 minutes. I also make a point to go on brisk walks, daily (at least two miles), that are starting to turn to jogging, now. I also take a yoga class twice a week. I'm trying to be more active with the nephews, too--kicking and throwing around balls a lot, and learning lacrosse with the 8 year old. 

I don't think I'll join a gym until the snow starts. I'm outside Boson and last year with our record breaking 7+ feet of snow (!!!!), I couldn't even open my front door for 3 months, let alone go for walks or play ball! So gym time is in my future, but I'm happy being active without the expense for now! 

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

Most Active
Recent Topics