Anyone else's young children worrying about your surgery incessantly?

dulce1203
on 10/19/15 5:30 am

My 10 year old daughter is worrying that I will change after my surgery. Anyone else experience this?

rocky513
on 10/19/15 6:07 am - WI

You will change after surgery. She needs to be assured that the changes will be for the better.

You will be able to do more things with her because you feel so much better.

You will be making healthy food choices, modeling good behavior for her, so she will learn how to eat properly.

She will be able to reach ll the way around you when she hugs you.

There will be more room on the couch for snuggle time.

Have her help you make a list of the positive changes and post it on the refrigerator so she can read it every day.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

dulce1203
on 10/19/15 6:13 am

Love the list on the fridge idea!

psychoticparrot
on 10/20/15 8:35 am

Isn't it great to know that someone unconditionally loves you just the way you are? What a sweetie your daughter is! As already suggested, reassurance in all forms is in order. Tell her that the only thing about you that will change is that you will get thinner and healthier, and that the one thing that will never change is how much you love her.

My 7-year-old grandson doesn't know about my surgery and doesn't seem to have noticed that I've lost 85 pounds! He is intrigued, however, by the loose skin on my arms. He likes to flap it a bit and says (approvingly) that it's "soft."

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

dulce1203
on 10/21/15 5:29 am

I just LOLed in my office. People are probably thinking I am nuts!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 317 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views