Baby's First Post-Op Question!

Darcy G.
on 4/14/16 8:55 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

And it's one of those TMI questions...

Gas, man. Gas. Everything gives me gas--including water!!--and then immediately followed by diarrhea. I'm barely eating anything still (the only thing my tummy likes is sugar free jello and popsicles), so that aspect is tiny, but the gas is epic!

I know I didn't get to do walking after surgery to dispel it, but I just don't see how this (which only comes when I've put anything into my belly--water) could be that post surgery gas. Plus, I don't think I've had those gas pains. (Also, my body did some weird things to get rid of that immediately when I was able to stand up anyway.)

Ideas? Suggestions? Special rituals to appease Bob(ChilliDog to his friends)God of Unholy Gas Attacks? I've got to drive 2.5 hrs back to Columbus Monday for my post-op appointment... And right now the only idea for handling it involves adult diapers... (Ok, slight exaggeration there, I'd stop at every gas station first..)

seabexlose
on 4/14/16 9:53 pm
VSG on 04/12/16 with

Oh no!  I am right there with you with the gas, but I am having the opposite pooping problem.  I haven't been able to go at all.  Also, started TOM last night...at least I have sweet pain meds for the cramps!

happyteacher
on 4/15/16 7:26 am

Be careful with constipation- it can lead to being impacted, and that requires a doctor's intervention and a lot of pain. Check with your doc first, but I was directed to use colace to ensure things kept working. I needed it a lot early out, but once I was putting fiber back in my diet no longer need it. I have seen many others post that they were directed to use Miralax. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

seabexlose
on 4/15/16 1:14 pm
VSG on 04/12/16 with

I am taking a softener.  We'll see how it goes.  If nothing happens by Monday, I'm calling in and I have my checkup on Tuesday.  Ugh!

luvmypuggies
on 4/14/16 10:02 pm

Lol - you crack me up. :)   I suspect this is normal post-op gas/etc.  It takes a while for your body to realize what the heck just happened and how to deal with the new normal, but I certainly understand your desperation to find a resolution before Monday!

However, one thing to keep in the back of your mind if this continues is that maybe you're reacting to some of the artificial sugars.  I know that before surgery, I would avoid the "coke zero" and other "zero" soft drinks because they had sucralose, which upset my system terribly (very much like your pal Bob).  I haven't isolated this issue post-op because I don't drink carbonated stuff anymore and try to avoid anything sweet for the most part so maybe it's just low volume keeping me from reacting now. Worth experimenting if problems persist.

Not sure if you have this, but loud gurgling and bubbling (and I mean LOUD) in the gut can persist for months, maybe years. Hopefully you don't work in a library. :)

luvmypuggies
on 4/14/16 10:03 pm

One more practical thing - Gas-X strips (melt in your mouth) might help...

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 4/15/16 3:16 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Protein drinks cause this for me - My Surgeons office thinks I might be a bit lactose intolerant though I wasn't previously.  They said it isn't unusual immediately after surgery.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

happyteacher
on 4/15/16 7:24 am

For many, liquid in = liquid out. Once you add solid food back in this will resolve. If you add ultra low carb solid food (40g or less daily) you likely will switch to helatious constipation. Never trust a fart during this phase!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Darcy G.
on 4/15/16 12:25 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

I think my problems have moved beyond has and diarrhea today...

I'm paddle, shskey, weak... Actually almost fainted on the potty during one of those other episodes...

Afraid my bleeding has come back... But trying to decide if maybe I'm just dehydrated. I know I haven't been doing well with my fluids. Before leaving hospital, I was never nauseous, now I'm queasy the first half of the day...

Trying to ge****er in right now, and have managed about 8oz in the past 30 min... Don't think I'm better yet... Not even sure you can get ahead of dehydration when you're at the near-fainting stage?

luvmypuggies
on 4/15/16 12:46 pm

Call you doc asap and run these symptoms by him!  Dehydration is nothing to fool around with!  So sorry you're having such a rough start.  Good thoughts heading your way!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views