Iron Deficiencies anyone?

CarolB
on 7/30/07 10:21 pm - Coventry, RI
Hello Maysters! Hope all is well with everyone. I am posting to ask how many of us have problems with anemia now that we are two years out. I am anemic, have been for 7-8 months now. I have to say, I am a bit concerned about iron deficiency. My sister, who had the gastric bypass 5 years ago, also turned anemic post surgery, and has gotten to the point where she now needs iron infusions. I fear that although I take extra iron, as recommended by my doctor, I may be headed down that same path. She has always been good about taking her vitamins and supplements. Honestly, the only thing that's changed for both of us, is that we weren't having at least one protein shake a day anymore. (I have recently worked that into my daily regimen again.) Does anyone else have similar problems?
laura
on 8/4/07 6:02 am - lake worth, FL
I had a iron transfusion about 6 weeks ago.I can tell you I was eating ice for about 6-9 months like crazy.I did take chewable iron but I guess it wasnt enough.I had 6 iv treatments of iron wasnt bad at all (treatments).My craving for ice went away.I guess my body wasnt absorbing iron too well plus I have super heavy periods so that doesnt help.They have put me on a new iron pill called tandem plus.I havent taken it everyday but I take it pretty consistently.I have another set of blood draws the end of the month.I was told they were shocked that I could get out of bed ,my ferritin and iron levels were so low (before infusions).As off the last infusion they were in the normal range.I need to get my heavy periods under control and I think I will do better with my iron levels...we will see.~Laura~
Most Active
Recent Topics
GERD
andrea may 05 · 0 replies · 558 views
Well hello old friends!!!
SteffieBear15 · 3 replies · 966 views
5 years, 10 months & 13 days...
dreamy6501 · 4 replies · 929 views
Pouch has Stretched
DawnVA · 2 replies · 823 views