Maysters (2005) Roll-Call - Check in Folks

Kathy & Rich
on 3/1/08 9:20 am - Fairfax, VA
How is everyone? 2007 was a challenging year for me. 6 surgeries. 5 for the breast cancer and reconstruction (including the emergency surgery for a post-op bleed 2 weeks after mastectomies aka the great growing boob - the ambulance guys had a good story to tell as my breast expanded and expanded). The other surgery was for a possible internal hernia. Doc found a loop of bowel by the mesenteric defect so he closed the defect off so it couldn't flip/twist in there. He also found an adhesion with a hold of the intestines. Unfortunately, the surgery on the intestines didn't help and I was still having issues a week after surgery. Extreme bloating, tons of gas, pain, pain and more pain (not the worst I've had but it varied in intensity). I did some reading and suspect that my problem is SBBO/SIBO (small bowel/intestinal bacterial overgrowth). I started taking Activa light and Probiotics and the problem seems to have resolved. I'm seeing my PCP this week to discuss possibly going on antibiotics (normal short term treatment for SBBO - long term treatment is probiotics - so I made a decent diagnosis - LOL). After my surgeries were over... my FIL was hopsitialized for 51 days and I saw him daily, took time off to be with him, etc. Then he was in a nursing home for another 5-6 weeks before he passed. He wasn't expected to go then but we knew he was bad off those few days and with stage IV lung cancer looming in his path... we talked with hospice and left him there where he passed between my visit and Rich's. My back (which I had surgery for 6 weeks before WLS) has continued to be an issue. The disk that was trimmed continued to flatten to nothing. And the other disk is now 2/3s of the size it should be. I have a spinal fusion surgery in my near future. I have a diskogram this coming Friday - nothing like a procedure which is intended to duplicate the pain. Oh boy. The back issue keeps me from the gym and keeps me from doing things and enjoying my life. I hope the spinal fusion gives me a good bit of that back. Last year, my weight dropped early in the year from 160 to 148. No complaints on my part on that - I was very happy there - but alas...it wasn't there that many months and I went up. Assume it is from carbs and grazing that ensued from the stress of the year and inability to exercise. Now I'm sitting at 170-173. Argh. I'd ideally like to get back to 160 and maybe 155 better yet to have some room to play but I just haven't been able to get motivated. What worries me about the gain... is where the weight is. It seems to be mostly in my middle. My wrists have lost weight and seem overly thin to me. I'm going to discuss this with my doctor. I did mention it to surgeon. My labs in December were excellent. I just feel like there is muscle loss going on and it does concern me. I have to be careful what to wear because if I get any bloating/gas - pants can NOT fit fast as the bloating is extreme. Joyful. Rich gained in the last year or so. He went from about 240s to 300 (he started mid 400s). Our surgeon was concerned and put him on a 3 month return to get the weight back down. Glad he did that. He is getting more conscious about calories and fat and grazing. He is down into the lows 280s now so he is moving in the right direction. He was back at the gym but injured himself (we are a mess aren't we) - think he either has a stress fracture on a rib or injured the cartilage where the rib connects to the sternum. LOL. So, I'm struggling all the way around and taking things one day at a time. How about you'll???? Hugs to all! Miss you all bunches. Kathy
Bonnie M
on 3/2/08 5:24 am - Sioux Falls, SD
WOW, you continue to go through a lot. I'm sorry to hear about your FIL. It's so hard to lose someone so important to you. I'm away from the pool for another month because of bunion and hammer toe (3 toes) on my right foot. I should get my final pin out this Wed. I'll still be on crutches for a few weeks. My weight is about the same as yours. I got down to about 155, but have gained 15 lbs with grazing, 2 rounds of plastics and now the foot surgery. I need to get motivated soon! Take care of yourself and I sure hope 2008 is better for you and Rich!
njcocoa
on 3/2/08 6:38 am - somerville, NJ
Hey there Kathy, I am praying that 2008 is a better yr for you.. I continue to have my share of challenges, But I'm confident that I will beat the, I've had a 20-30 pound weight gain, but I've kepy off 12 since November. I hope all you Maysters are doing ok.
laura
on 3/2/08 9:13 am - lake worth, FL
checking in:] .I have put on 10 pounds since last year but I am alright with that.I tend not to eat for whatever reason so I am okay with it.I did get a little freaked out about it at first though.I have had problems with my iron, already had 1 transfusion but my ferritin is still low.I take tandem plus everyday and I also had a proceedure to stop my heavy periods so maybe my iron will level out since I dont bleed anymore :] I was feeling overwhelmed and sort of sad,depressed ect and I have been put on lexapro and I am feeling better.I have like everybody else tons of stress in my life ...I have teenagers... so other than that I do feel well.I am tired but thats probably my iron.I was put on ambien to sleep and believe this I would fall a sleep quick then wake up 3 hours later.I swear the surgery has changed the way I metabolize meds.Eventhough I am tired and dragging I cant really sleep and I go from 5am to 10-11pm about 6 days a week go figure.Kathy I wish you better health this year ~Laura~
mzsmitty62
on 3/2/08 1:31 pm - Jeffersonville, IN
Hi Kathy and everyone! Long time I know. I am doing really well. My husband and I bought our first home. My one and only daughter moved to Colorado Springs and I went into a depression. I gained 23 pounds but started back on the old calorie counting and have lost 3 of it so far. My goal is to lose all 23 by June 5 which is my wedding anniversary! I can do it! Hope your year is better than last year and hello and best wishes to everyone on the board!
njcocoa
on 3/5/08 6:58 am - somerville, NJ
Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!
karentheloserIam
on 3/14/08 2:42 am - PA
Im here as well.... 07 was a roller coaster... bad job issues, now good issues, hubby issues... up and down.. My all time low was 163... 3 lbs from 100 lost.... I wanted 150 as a goal, doc said 160... so never got there officially... I now bounce between 167-174... up a few, down a few.. doesnt seem to matter how much or little I eat or how much/little I exercise... I do feel like my muscle is wasting away.. but thats lack of use.... ahhh me... Last labs I had done (may 07) were good.... will have a set done soon to see how Im fairing. I need to find some chewable calcium or I forget to take it... weird huh. Im still in a size 10... and still feel fat... at almost 3 yrs out, Im not sure that will ever change.... Take care yall and keep in touch. Karen
andrea may 05
on 3/14/08 2:29 pm - Sun Valley, NV
Hi Everybody, Its been a long time but life happens. I lost a total of 105 lb.s, 5 in the past year. I was an exercise fiend for a while but have slacked on that in the past year. I moved, got a divorce, took a new job with great pay and benefits and met a wonderful man to whom I am (almost) engaged. He has asked but I don't have the ring yet!!!! Anyway, surg. was truly my rebirth. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Andrea
michdeb
on 3/15/08 11:29 am - Southeast, MI
Hello Fellow Maysters, I was pleasantly surprised to see there was a new thread here. I usually lurk on the graduates board, and decided to pop over here to see if anyone was around. I feel I have just plain lucky with this surgery. I sometimes wonder why I have succeeded as well as I have, since I am so far from "perfect" in my food intake and exercise plan. I went from 351 down to a low of 131, within two years. I stayed at 132-133 for eight months, and now am usually 136-138. The weight gain has come about the same time as menopause, and I have not been able to drop the four pound gain. I realize this is not a huge gain, so I am happy with it. I still weigh myself everyday, and although I don't track calories or carbs, I am still aware of what I am eating everyday. I also still drink at least one protein drink a day. I have been really good with the daily vitamins and calcium, but didn't start supplementing the iron. I think this has been a mistake. I had my three year labs done early two weeks ago, and I have seen my ferritin levels drop by 75% in the last two years to 37. I have taken iron for about 4 months now, and hope this brings it back up. All other lab levels were good. I had an extended tummy tuck in Sept. '06, and am getting ready for my next plastic surgery in mid-April. I will be having a brachioplasty and tummy tuck revision. He will be evening out certain tummy areas, and some much needed mons revision. I am dreading the surgery, but am looking to having arms that approximate normal. I will have the breast lift/augmentation in September. I have been saving my money for a couple of years to pay for it all. My friends all tell me I radiate health and energy, and I am thrilled to feel as well as I do. I am able to eat just about all foods with no problems, so I have to be careful on the quantity. I keep grape tomatoes out on my kitchen counter at all times to snack on when the mood strikes. I still love the baked goodies, and have to be really careful with them. Family life has it's ups and downs, stresses and jubilations, just like everyone. I've lost a father and father-in-law since surgery. My mother was in the hospital three times last year, and my MIL is in the hospital now. One daughter has moved to NYC, and the other has left the nest for college, and now recently returned for some needed re-mothering. At least I have had the energy to cope with it all. I am sorry for the troubles I have read about, and relish the good news. Kathy, I hope your back and tummy troubles will resolve themselves soon. Good luck to all my fellow Maysters. Debra M. 351/137
wanda
on 3/22/08 11:19 am
Hi Everybody, I'm a little late finding this thread, but it's so nice to see everybody post. I've struggled with weight gain for the last year. I've gained about 30 pounds since my lowest, I'm ashamed to report. It's been up and down a little over and over. I'm trying to eat healthier and know that I need to get out there and exercise! The weather is getting better and I really have no excuse not to get out there and walk, walk, walk now. I hope everyone has a fabulous Easter! Wanda
Most Active
Recent Topics
GERD
andrea may 05 · 0 replies · 556 views
Well hello old friends!!!
SteffieBear15 · 3 replies · 964 views
5 years, 10 months & 13 days...
dreamy6501 · 4 replies · 927 views
Pouch has Stretched
DawnVA · 2 replies · 822 views