bowel obstruction

JoAnn V.
on 7/11/07 12:59 am - Fredericksuburg, IA
I too had a bowel obstruction back in April of 2006. I am 4 years out now and just got done with a hernia operation 2 weeks ago. Things are going pretty good now. With the obstruction, I ended up with a colostomy which was reversed last October. Following that, I had adhesions at the end of October. The obstruction almost killed me since I was bleeding out. It was very painful. I'm thinking that the warning signs were there when I went for my annual physical the September before that. I was having pain off and on by my left hip bone. That is the bowel area but the only way to find out what it was is by a CT scan. I decided it was nothing, but boy was I wrong. If any of you have pain in that area, don't ignore it like I did. It could cost you your life! My doctor said that the membrane surrounding the colon is padded with fat. Mine didn't have hardley any fat on it at all, so that is why the colon twisted. He had to take a foot of my intestines out. I am really lucky that I have such a wonderful doctor. I have lost 121 pounds and have kept it off. I am now in a size 8 from a 24. Good luck to all of you, but DO NOT IGNORE any pain that you may have. It could be a sign of bad things to come.
Elizabeth J.
on 9/2/07 12:33 pm - Corpus Christi, TX
I have also been out 4 years now, and I had to go back and surgery again because of adhesions. Did you have your surgery open? I did, the surgery itself was a breeze but I began to have pain in my abdomen. The first time I had the pain was 2 years after my surgery, but was told it was food poisoning. After taking pain meds. things began to get better, then I started having pain again, I would go to the emergency room, they admitted me and ran test and said it was a bad case of gas. Finally, last year I was in severe pain again, this time I went back to my gastric doctor and he saw the adhesions. I had surgery and Thank God all is well. No more problems!
Most Active
Recent Topics
8 years out and gained weight
Paula B. · 3 replies · 857 views
Plateau and gains and losses
robkreft · 0 replies · 609 views
need help
minischnauz · 4 replies · 701 views
Need help after 4 years....
ymebehere · 1 replies · 612 views