How much is too much?

beccal
on 4/27/04 6:37 am - Near B'Ham, AL
Im 9 months post-op and sometimes I feel I am eating too mu*****omparison to pre-opeating habits, I eat only a fraction of what I use to. BUT comparing those first few months after surgery, Im thinking " Geez I must be overdoing it" By using fitday.com ...I eat about 750-900 calories a day. I know appetite and quanity can increase, but I was wondering how much you 9mth+ post opers can eat in one sitting??? A common meal for me is....3-4oz chicken breast with maybe 1/4 c of green beans, bite or two of those darn carbs (rice or tater) Today I ate a whole 6 inch subway ham/turkey/cheese...THAT to be honest is what has me worring and freaking out. On the good side ... I was stuffed beyond belief, so I know my "feel full" reflex works. Am I totally terrible?? Thanks for listening. -Becca
pherpherv
on 4/27/04 9:02 pm - La Quinta, CA
I ask myself the same question everyday. I also can eat a whole subway sandwich. I also feel like I am eatting to much. I think these are things that are going to happen. I am sure that we just need to realize that YES we can eat a whole sandwich BUT do we want to?? You know what I am sure of is that I do not want to be back where I was. I am sure you feel the same way. But if we keep eatting "the wrong things" that is what will happen. Easier said than done. I am my own worst enemy. I will eat out everyday if I can. I mean for lunch, but that is still bad enough. I do not think that you are terrible for what your doing, you just need to think about it as I do to. We need to fill up on something else. Maybe drink more water BEFORE you eat. That will give you more of a full feeling. Keep up the good loss.
Michelle_S
on 4/28/04 12:08 am - Wetumpka, AL
Becca, I can eat a 6" sub too or 2 good sized slices of pizza which both shocked me at first. But when I think back to pre-WLS, I could have eaten a foot long sub, a bag of chips and a couple of cookies or almost a whole pizza by myself. From what I've read, our pouches will never stretch out to pre-WLS capacity but some stretch when we are this far out is normal. So I'm not too worried about it. And if you are anything like me, there are days when I might can only eat about a 1/2 of a 6" sub. How much I can eat seems to vary from day to day. Michelle -115.5
beccal
on 4/28/04 1:04 am - Near B'Ham, AL
Thanks for your replies!! Always helps to know we have a place to go and make sure we are not alone in our struggles. YOU ladies look awesome.
Pat R.
on 5/12/04 2:40 pm - Leander, TX
When I got worried because I was eating too much, I put myself on liquids for three days. My pouch reshrank, and I went back to eating my smaller meals. Might want to try it! Pat 305-185-150 July 23. 2003
Paula B.
on 4/28/04 1:16 am - Troup, TX
Wow, I can't believe that I eat so little compared to ya'll. I can't eat all that bread either. I can eat 1 reg size slice of very thin crust. I can eat about 3 or 4 bites of a sandwich. I guess I am still too afraid to push the limits. I eat just enough to survive. I can eat my share of mexican food. Love it... I have never gotten sick on it. I know how it feels to eat too much. I did it once and was miserable all day. It also depends on how much I have eaten during the day cause if I go without eating all day then when I do eat, its more. I think that I still get in about 900 calories a day. Keep up the great loss. Paula 280/152/140
TanjaEck
on 4/28/04 6:32 pm - Bensheim, Germany
Hello you all, I am also 9 month post op and I can eat half of what I have eaten before. I can eat the same meals like a normal person, but I must eat slowly. In the morning I am not able to eat very much, but I can eat two slices of toast for example. At lunch I´m able to eat a "normal" meal and at dinner I have to stay away from my old habits, because I can eat very much than - not so much as pre op - but much enough to stop my weight loss. Sorry for my bad english. Tanja
Jo M.
on 5/10/04 3:26 am - Rochester, NY
My surgery was on July 16th, 2003. I ask myself all the time if I am eating too much .. i feel exactly like you do! However, i really stay away from carbs as much as i can. i haven't had a sandwch since I waspre-op .. I do eat a lot more protein though. I can eat 8 oxs of turkey brest with no problem .. and then I wonder if I over-did it. I can definately eat more than I did early post-op, but I worry ... a lot ... I know that I eat healthily and that I am loosing consistently ... 147 lbs in 10 months ... but i worry .. A LOT too .. it sounds like we are normal!
granola
on 5/14/04 4:04 am
OMG it is so wonderful to read posts of people at the same "place" as me. Where have I been????? I too worry - I still could not eat a whole subway and certainly not the bread - I just don't eat bread or carbs at all - but I am eating more than I ate early postop and it scares the bejeesus out of me. I am going to try the liquid thing thanks for that suggestion. My lunch consists of 2 slices of deli turkey breast, 1 slice of swiss cheese and 10 grapes every day the same meal. A protein shake with 2 fruits for breakfast and dinner is almost non-existant. Maybe 1 oz of meat and 2 bites of vegies. I should probably go to fitday and start tracking this...so I have more information. I have gotten so casual about it because I know what works and what doesn't! I would say my biggest eating issue now is coffee - I drink it all day long and it cannot be helping me with loss. I really want to lose another 20 and it is like pulling the proverbial teeth. Jeannie
Most Active
Recent Topics
8 years out and gained weight
Paula B. · 3 replies · 857 views
Plateau and gains and losses
robkreft · 0 replies · 609 views
need help
minischnauz · 4 replies · 704 views
Need help after 4 years....
ymebehere · 1 replies · 614 views