A nasty little complication

defatbroad
on 5/14/04 3:20 am - Toronto, Canada
Had my surgery in July 2003. Since December 2003, I've been feeling increasingly lousy. Pain, nausea, occasional vomiting. Then it would go away. Then come back again. Then go away, etc. Well, in mid-April, I was so sick I could hardly stand. Nausea, vomiting, shakes, the whole bit. Went into emergency and the doctors discovered a liver abscess. The doctor drained 40 ccs of pus out of it. Darned near died. Now I'm on an antibiotic pump complete with a little bag of antibiotics. I have a day nurse who comes in and puts in a new antibiotic bag in the morning and a night nurse who does the same at night. I have a drain bag coming out of my liver which drains excess pus. On May 18th, I go for a CT scan to see if all is well with my liver. On that day the doc will decide whether or not to take the IV off, or to leave it on for a while longer.
granola
on 5/14/04 3:53 am
Cathy, Hi, Jeannie 7/23/03 down 172 pounds. Woah. Did they tell you how rare this is?? I almost died from one in 1991. They called all my family from out of town to come say goodbye to me. We never figured out where it came from - I swear it was from Sushi - which I never eat anymore - but the internist told me it could have been from an 18 year old at Taco Bell with dirty hands - great - I never ate at Taco Bell again either. God, I am so glad you are okay. I was in hospital for 15 days on 3 IV pumps. The Flagyl was the worst antibiotic I have ever had - it burned the veins even! Hurt - oh man. Just wanted you to know I feel your pain - you are the only other person I have met since 1991 when I had mine that has had one. I was told they have an 85% mortality rate as well. Scary huh? Jeannie
defatbroad
on 5/17/04 9:51 am - Toronto, Canada
Yeah, the mortality rate sure added to my gray hair. LOL! I'm glad you answered my post, as I figured this thing was so rare, no one would even know about it, let alone have experienced it. Of course, with that mortality rate, maybe the few who did have it not make it. Again, thanks, Jeannie. Just knowing one other person knows what I went through makes me feel better. Cathy
Most Active
Recent Topics
8 years out and gained weight
Paula B. · 3 replies · 857 views
Plateau and gains and losses
robkreft · 0 replies · 609 views
need help
minischnauz · 4 replies · 704 views
Need help after 4 years....
ymebehere · 1 replies · 614 views