56 mile bike ride

Christian A.
on 5/16/04 12:25 am - Keizer, OR
Well, I did make it to the beach, but it was a lot more difficult than I had planned. The night before, I thought I would "CARB LOAD", but my stomach had other plans for me and didn't accept what I had to offer (if you know what I mean, if you don't...well then; I PUKED!). We got to Amity High School, the starting point and checked in, then we ate some free food (I had a hard boiled egg). Then at 9:00am Scott (my best buddy) and I took off to the beach. We made it the first 14 miles to the Sheridan High School rest stop (the first of 4) and was fine. My butt was in a little pain, but I was okay. The weather was a littly rainy (mist) and cold, so I was kinda bundled up. Then we took off to the next rest stop which was Grand Ronde. This part took a lot out of me. Scott was in better condition than I was so, he took off in front of me and I just went at my own pace (very slow). At times it was quite sad, I was first passed by young men (fine); then I was passed by young women (okay, I can handle this); then I was passed by old men and women (that's okay too, looked like they had been doing this for a while), but then I was passed by a 7 year old and he had gone so far a head of my I lost him in my view (that I had a problem with!). The wind was tough and cold and broke me. I stopped at a restaurant and gas station on highway 8 and called my wife to tell her I just might not make it. She reminded me that I am doing this for my dad and I went back on my way. I finally did make it to the Grand Ronde rest area where Scott was getting a little worried about me even showing up there. We went and had some food and rested for about a half hour or so. When it was time for me to get up, I was quite light headed and dizzy. Scott suggested that I go to the first aid tent, but I recovered quickly and decided not to and to go on. The next leg of the journey was to get to the Little Nestucca Rest area. This was where the ride really wore me out. There was still some mountains to climb, my butt hurt worse, my back hurt, and I was tired. Scott stuck with me for about 1/2 the trip, but he was making me nervous being behind me (and I was going so slow) I told him to go on ahead of me. He did and stopped a few time to wait for me and to push me on ( I really needed it, I wanted to stop). We finally made it to the rest stop, but it was at the bottom of a hill and I didn't really notice it because I was going too fast at the time. So, I decided to go on and not stop the momentum that I had built at that time. That was a BIG mistake because I had ran out of water during the last leg. Finally, when the momentum stopped, we pulled over in a nice area to sit and rest a bit. I ate my protein bar and layed down a bit. When we felt rested up a bit, I tried to stand up and got an immediate head rush and was a lot dizzier than last time. I felt like my head was going to explode, so I took off my helmet and stumbled to the ground. My eye sight was very blurry and I was very frightened. I sat for a little bit more and when I thought I had everything together again I tried to get up. I was pretty dizzy again, but I heald on and it passed. I guess Scott was kinda worried to because he asked me if I had my wife's cell phone number pre-programmed in my phone in case he had to call her. Only 10 miles to go? Holy crap this is long! Scott pretty much stayed most of the way with me on this final leg of the trip. He would go ahead a bit and then wait for me and we stopped a few times on the way. Once for me to catch my breath and another to clean my sunglasses ( too wet from the mist) oh yeah and another time because I had sweat in my eyes and they were burning! After a long time (too long) we finally made it to the finish at the Oregon Coast. It was just wonderful to see my wife and kids there cheering me on and giving me support! Thank you guys! When I got there, I hopped off my bike and was light headed again. My wife suggested that I go to the first aid tent to have them check me out. I though that I should and so I did. They checked my blood pressure and it was pretty low. They checked my blood sugar level and it was at about 70 (pretty low again) and my heart rate was at a pretty fast pace, so they were a little conserned. They gave me some glucose in a tube (I wondered if it would make me dump, but it was fine) and that brought my blood sugar up to 82 (better but not good yet). They were still conserned about my heart rate and made me stay a little bit longer, but eventually let me leave. We went to the food tent where there was so much food and all we could eat! Well, I think I ate more than I could (with the small pouch and all) but I didn't dump or feel poorly at all! I had Mac & Cheese, cheese pizza (no crust), and salad! That rocked! My wife bought me a shirt and a jerzey to remember this day (how can I forget?). I really want to thank Scott for sticking with me and not allowing me to quit. Without you I wouldn't have finised. You are a true blue friend and I love you! You know if a firend/brother type way. I want to thank Renee' too for helping me remember why I was doing it and who I was doing it for. I love you Renee' with all of my heart. Dad! This was for you! I love and miss you so much! I also want to thank every one in the support groups for all the advice and caring you give not just to me, but to anyone who asks, you are all great! -Chris For Pictures: http://groups.msn.com/AndersenJourney/reachthebeach2004.msnw
granola
on 5/16/04 2:59 am
You are a true inspiration. Thanks for posting that - congratulations. Great read. Jeannie
Michelle_S
on 5/17/04 7:45 am - Wetumpka, AL
Wow, Chris. That is incredible!!! Congratulations! (The part about the 7 yr old seriously had me LOL!!!) I have a marathon goal in my future and have just started running. You are such an inspiration .... now I know I can do. Michelle -119
Most Active
Recent Topics
8 years out and gained weight
Paula B. · 3 replies · 857 views
Plateau and gains and losses
robkreft · 0 replies · 609 views
need help
minischnauz · 4 replies · 704 views
Need help after 4 years....
ymebehere · 1 replies · 614 views