Happy rebirthday to me!

Mary C.
on 7/8/04 3:36 am - La Mesa, Ca
And a happy rebirthday to all of those celebrating in July! July 8, 2004 One year ago, I was suffering through day to day life. I was carrying around an extra 130 pounds. I could barely move through my daily activities, climbing one flight of stairs would leave me short of breath with my heart pounding in my chest. I had horrible gastric reflux disease, going through a bottle of Tums a week, waking up several time a night to the chronic heart burn. I never got a good night sleep, between the reflux and the sleep apnea. I was always fatigued. I had the embarrassment of stress incontinence that caused me to wet myself when I sneezed or laughed, I frequently had episodes of fecal incontinence as well. My cholesterol was high, my blood pressure was high and I was at high risk of developing Type 2 diabetes. I couldn't keep up with my son. He was a toddler and I knew that if he ever headed to the street, I could never catch him. I couldn't play with him, swing on the swings, go down a slide or ride a go-cart. I was so embarrassed by my appearance that I withdrew socially. I cut off contact with anyone who knew me prior to my weight gain. I couldn't stand the thought of them seeing what I had become. I skipped my high school reunion, made excuses, hid behind the fat. I avoided just about all social situations except for family functions, I really only spent time with those that were as heavy as I was. Normally a very outgoing, motivated person, I became an apathetic, homebody. I was dying both physically and mentally. In the fall of 2002, while taking my then 2 year old son to the park, I stepped in a gopher hole and fell on my knee. The pain was horrible. I sat on the ground and wondered if I was going to get my almost 300 pounds up off the ground onto an obviously injured knee. What would happen if I couldn't get up? I was there alone with a two-year old! I was eventually able to get up and hobble home. I was later told that the injury that I caused to my knee was normally only seen in football and motor vehicle accidents! The force of my weight coming down on my knee caused that kind of injury. Dr. David Flood, my orthopedic surgeon, fixed my knee, but also recommended in the kindest and most tactful way, that I consider Gastric Bypass surgery. His recommendations, followed by the support of my wonderful Primary Care Physician, Dr. Richard Fassett, lead me to Dr. Charles Callery. This man literally saved my life as well as the lives of thousands of other patients. One year later, I am free of all of my health problems. I am at a healthy weight, I can not only walk but I can run and I am currently training to run a 5K this fall. I am finally able to control my eating and therefore, my health. I am comfortable in all social situations, I no longer feel held back by my body or the social stigma that goes along with it. My motivation has returned and I plan on returning to school this year to finish my degree and eventually go on for my Masters in Public Health. I am a much better and happier person, wife, and mother. I can play and run and swim with my now five-year old son. God willing, I will be able to run and play with my grandkids some day. Thank you Drs. Callery, Fassett and Flood Then Now Weight 272 140 Size 26 6 High Blood Pressure Normal High Cholesterol Normal GERD Gone Sleep Apnea Gone Stress Incontinence Gone High Risk for Diabetes Gone Fatigue Gone Shortness of Breath Gone Chronic pain in joints/back/feet Gone Mary 07/08/03 272/140/135
defatbroad
on 7/8/04 11:00 am - Toronto, Canada
Congratulations! Cathy 458/290/?
Sbug101
on 7/9/04 3:23 am - Levittown, NY
Way to go!!!! Congrats to you. Angie 297.5/183.5/?
tinktee
on 7/14/04 2:52 am - Spanaway, WA
Mary thank you so much for telling more of your story. I'm sure that it help's newbee's like my self to get excited about wls. You show excitement and you look awsome, like so many of the other wl elder's. (smile) Thank you, Tink-tee
Most Active
Recent Topics
8 years out and gained weight
Paula B. · 3 replies · 857 views
Plateau and gains and losses
robkreft · 0 replies · 609 views
need help
minischnauz · 4 replies · 704 views
Need help after 4 years....
ymebehere · 1 replies · 614 views