I can't drink like I use too!

cakolend
on 3/2/05 2:18 am - Houston, TX
I had surgery in July 3, 2003. When I drink red wine it goes to my head very quick. I am enjoying a glass of wine after a meal it seems to settle my stomach. I just don't want to become an alcoholic. I also have the fear of gaining weight. Your advice is welcomed. Thanks.
Janet B.
on 3/8/05 12:51 am - Charlotte, NC
Hi Carmen. I also had gastric bypass surgery 7/03. Drinking has been reduced a lot since surgery and I do find that it goes to my head faster. I do not thing that one glass after dinner makes an alcholic. Just make sure that you get all the proper nutrition first!!!
bethybb
on 3/13/05 4:42 pm - Roanoke, VA
Be careful! There is a lady in our group who lost her mom after bypass. Apparently after surgery something about our organs absorbing things differently - and as you can see first hand, a little feels like a lot - well this lady's mom couldn't eat to deal with her problems, so she started drinking instead. She didn't have to drink all that much to be drunk, and managed to go through a lifetime of drinking as far as her liver was concerned, in about 5 years - and actually died of alcoholic liver disease in 5 years. You really shouldn't be drinking after this surgery - maybe just some watered down wine instead of full strength? Maybe something different than wine since your liver is at stake?
Gayle H.
on 3/14/05 7:31 pm - Princeton, MN
I used drink on occasions. But I now I will have Irish Cream on the rocks and that seems to be the best. Any of the cream type drinks seem to be easy on the pouch for me. But one is usually my limit when I do.
JudithC
on 3/20/05 4:56 am - Southern, NH
My sister-in-law had this surgery several years ago and has become an alcoholic...and gained about 50 pounds. Tragedy for everyone but she was really looking for "pain medicine," the place that food used to fill for her. She drinks, however, a great deal because as quickly as one gets "buzzed" it seems it goes away just as quickly. I'm sure you'll hear from many people who have good thoughts and suggestions but I'd go back to my doctor and ask him/her what s/he thought. Judith
(deactivated member)
on 4/12/10 8:23 am
I was advised not to drink after RNY. We absore the alcohol way too fast for us to process.  I didn't listen mainly because I was not a big drinker at the time.  Well after loosing a ton of weight and having the necessary cosmetic surgery I began to date. With that came the dinners with wine, the night clubs with ****tails etc . I went down hill from there. We already have addiction issues so when we take away the food and add the booze, it's not a huge leap to become alcoholic.  It will put weight on you too, and very quickly.  Since you asked for adivise, I would suggest you to stay away from alcohol altogether.  Good luck.
Most Active
Recent Topics
8 years out and gained weight
Paula B. · 3 replies · 857 views
Plateau and gains and losses
robkreft · 0 replies · 609 views
need help
minischnauz · 4 replies · 701 views
Need help after 4 years....
ymebehere · 1 replies · 611 views