Recent Posts

Peggysue
on 7/13/15 2:22 pm - Fargo, ND
Topic: RE: Happy 9 years!

hello Dawn,

yes it has been nine years for me too, I was July 6... I still am doing very well. Weigh in at 136and feel great. My diet consists of "what goes down well". I don't eat a lot of meat, cant digest it well, so as a result I just don't eat it. Take my vitamins to compensate that....low on iron, but I have been low on iron even as a fat girl.  LOL I don'****ch what I eat, just eat it and go from there. But staying active even at my old age works.  Just had to stop in and see who else is 9 years. Happy days to you!  peggy

Some things are better rich.. coffee, men, chocolate
Diminishing Dawn
on 7/5/15 4:36 pm - Windsor, Canada
Topic: Happy 9 years!

Hope you are all doing well.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Lindaanne
on 12/5/13 6:55 pm - SSP, MN
Topic: Old timer

Hello, it's been a long time since I posted :)

I have a question and confession.  I have been horrible about taking my vitamins, and have been experiencing very bad confusion, lightheadedness.

i know the obvious answer is duh, and call my bariatric office etc.  I'm leaning towards a B12 or D thing.  Would anyone know if ins. Would still cover a visit to them?  ( blue cross ) 

im 6ish? Years out and lost 145 pounds.  I've kept all but 5 of it off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Sincerely,

Linda Anne 

Start Weight - 263
       Current Weight
  135 and making it work for ME !

Pen
on 8/1/13 8:07 am - OH
Topic: RE: Almost 7 years for us!

Hi Dawn! I am a twin, I had lap band surgery and am so glad I did.

Pennie

Diminishing Dawn
on 5/26/13 6:01 am - Windsor, Canada
Topic: Almost 7 years for us!

I would love to get in contact with any surgery twins! :)

Just message me!

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!

Diminishing Dawn
on 7/6/12 3:59 am - Windsor, Canada
Topic: Happy 6 Years
Feel free to drop me a line if you are celebrating your six years out.

Dawn

Maryellen R.
on 8/2/11 12:24 am - Sayville, NY
Topic: Happy 5 year Surgiversary to us!

WOW! Where does the time go? Tomorrow, July 31st, 2011, marks the 5thanniversary of my weight loss surgery. As I sit here composing this I have so many conflicting thoughts, I am trying to decide the best way to memorialize this occasion. It is obviously an important milestone in the overall story of my personal health history. But what is true significance of this accomplishment?  Am I physically healthier? YES! Am I mentally healthier? In some ways! Have I reached my goal weight? NO! Am I cured of the disease of Obesity? NO, but, for today, I have arrested its progress! Has weight loss surgery changed my life for the better? YES, but not without some struggles! Would I have it again?                   YES! YES! In a Corona, New York minute!

Physically I am much healthier than I was five years ago, and fortunately I made this decision before the disease could progress to the point of developing the co-morbidities associated with severe obesity. I had not developed diabetes, sleep apnea, or some of the more debilitating side effects associated with obesity. I had borderline cholesterol numbers, borderline high blood sugar counts and was suffering the physical limitations of being overweight. One of my biggest fears was “testing" the limits of my family. Would they help me tie my shoes, as I had seen my father do for my mother? Would I continue down the path of weight gain where my physical mobility would restrict me from seeing my daughters continue their growth and development? Fortunately, I saw the light, I recognized that all the fad diets and joining weigh****chers for the 27th time, was not going to work for me and surgery would give me a chance to change the path I was walking.

Mentally, I am stronger and I don’t face the related depressions that being obese allowed me to suffer. As I have witnessed in so many others during the last 60 months, I never expected the mental challenges that go hand in hand with a significant change in our physical shell. I, as most of my peers, was ill prepared for the most significant “side-effects" of weight loss surgery. The mental stress, fighting transfer addictions, personality adjustments, learning new coping methods, and changing our relationship with food has proven for many a battle as tough as we ever fought. I recently posted a quote of Steve Maraboli’s, ‘I am so grateful for my troubles. As I reflect back on my life, I have come to realize my greatest triumphs have been born from my greatest troubles." I believe that to be true as it applies to my weight loss surgery journey as well. Stemming from that day 5 years ago, I have encountered unexpected challenges and difficulties; facing those and finding ways to survive and grow has made me a stronger person. I have also accomplished more personal growth in these last five years than I had in the previous twenty.

Having the surgery has enriched my life in ways I would never have imagined. I have met new friends that I trust with my innermost fears and thoughts regarding my physical concerns related to obesity. I expanded my horizons and changed my life goals.

Coinciding with my celebration of this surgiversary, I am helping my father recover from open heart surgery, and that has given me sufficient pause to consider my future as it relates to the next five years. My LIPO dream remains very much alive and is healthy, but I am rethinking my professional goals of working directly within the business side of the bariatric community. I hope and suspect that I can find my niche’ as a professional working within the community when the time and situation is right for me.

Regrets? I have none! I have made some mistakes that I am sorry for as it relates to others, but the reality of my life is a culmination of each and every step of my journey and has allowed me to become the woman I am today. My surgery was one of those steps and I would do it again!

Happy Surgiversary to one and all; be it a day or a decade!

Maryellen
To visit LIPO (Long Island Post Ops) bariatric support group website click here: www.liponation.org

"WLS is a journey, not a destination (don't get comfortable) ... it's a road that we must travel daily to succeed".  Faith Thomas

visit my blog at theessenceofmaryellen.com/

Maryellen R.
on 8/2/11 12:22 am - Sayville, NY
Topic: RE: TODAY IS MY 5 YR "SURGIVERSARY"!
 Congrats!

Maryellen
To visit LIPO (Long Island Post Ops) bariatric support group website click here: www.liponation.org

"WLS is a journey, not a destination (don't get comfortable) ... it's a road that we must travel daily to succeed".  Faith Thomas

visit my blog at theessenceofmaryellen.com/

jillS
on 7/25/11 4:08 am - Tinton Falls, NJ
Topic: TODAY IS MY 5 YR "SURGIVERSARY"!
Five years ago today my life was changed forever!!  I had RNY Gastric Bypass and have since lost 170 pounds!  I've completed 3 triathlons and many other races that I would have NEVER even dreamed of doing in my "old life"!  It certainly hasn't always been an easy road but I am commited to keeping it off, this new and improved lifestyle and am NEVER going back!  I want people to know that it IS possible to succeed and find happiness!  I am grateful for this life changing surgery and woud do it ALL over again in a second.  It's not magic, but an opportunity to get your life back and if I could do it, ANYONE can do it!!  I would love to hear how other July 06 grads are doing...post away!! 
mindyg
on 5/13/11 8:36 am - Roslyn, NY
Topic: Courageous today on friday the 13th
 July will be 5 years since my lap-band surgery.  I lost 52 lbs at my lowest  (May 2010).  I lost the initial 40 with the help of the lap-band.  I lost the last 12 with weigh****chers.
I have been struggling & gained 25 lbs back since last May.  All that hard work......

I did something courageous today & got my 4th fill (in 5 years).  I'm a little nervous to be more restricted, but also excited to begin losing again!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Happy 9 years!
Diminishing Dawn · 1 replies · 909 views
Old timer
Lindaanne · 0 replies · 1006 views
Almost 7 years for us!
Diminishing Dawn · 1 replies · 952 views
Happy 6 Years
Diminishing Dawn · 0 replies · 1041 views