Recent Posts

chatykat7
on 8/25/06 9:20 am - Bono, AR
Topic: RE: July Board Survey
1. How much have you lost? 24 lbs since RYN-lap 2. What are you doing for exercise?water for 45 minutes 3 times a day.. oh yeah and walking too... 3. Are you having any problems/ complications? none at all now....I did have to go back in the hospital right after surgery on the 31st to have a IV for 2 days... 4. How much protein have you been getting in?I dont have a clue my Dr. has not told me to start that yet so i just been eating things with it in there because of all the ppl on this site telling all about it... 5. How much water/ liquids have you been getting in?between 32 and 60 oz a day 6. What do you ususally eat within the course of a day?anything i can chew to a mushy.... today i had string cheese for breakfast, sheppards pie without the beef for lunch, and for dinner as a first timer i had mexican food mmmm cheese enchalda and refried beans.. I have not had any problems at all with any food or throwing up or dumping....
NESSA C.
on 8/25/06 7:51 am - Southwest, LA
Topic: RE: A LITTLE BUMMED!
Thanks everyone, you guys all make alot of sense... vanessa
Christina R.
on 8/25/06 6:32 am - Reston, VA
Topic: RE: Too many CARBS?? Having trouble with meat.
Pam- Have you tried peanut butter? It's a little high in calories, but it's a good protein. Also, what about cheese? Same thing, but if you're struggling at least you'd be stting in some. Also, are you drinking your protein drinks? Those alone could get you up there in #s for protein.... Just some thoughts...best wishes to you, Christina S
Jezia
on 8/25/06 3:48 am - Duncanville, TX
Heya Vanessa. I made a mistake and weighed myself this morning and I had GAINED a pound! If your clothes are getting looser, it will eventually show on the scale. You might want to take measurements along the way so that when the pounds don't go down, you can still see progress in inches. The advice I keep getting is to toss the scale and trust in the process, only weigh once a week or month (I can't get myself to wait for once a month but maybe I will get there! ) Sounds to me like you are doing better than you think you are! Jezia
debg
on 8/24/06 9:39 am - brooklyn, NY
RNY on 07/06/06 with
You won't lose as much as you would if you hadn't dieted before surgery it is true. But it sounds like you're walking a good amount. Muscle is 2 1/2 times the density of fat. so in other words a box of muscle is 2 1/2 times as heavy as a box of fat. if you are losing fat, and building muscle you will lose inches, not pounds. muscles then burn up a lot more calories at rest than fat does so in other words, you may not lose it at first as quickly as some but you will lose it and it will stay off! don't get discouraged - we're all going to have plateaus and they will break. you can't NOT lose weight. best, Deb
debg
on 8/24/06 9:04 am - brooklyn, NY
RNY on 07/06/06 with
try tracking your food - from what i hear not getting our protein really does hurt our weight loss - you start losing lean muscle instead of body fat... rememebr it is all trial and error - we need to just work with what we can and do the best we can. beans are very healthy and cottege cheese is an easy protein (at least it was for me). another thing you can do is throw a scoop of protein powder in with your mashed potatos, your soups and so on. that will help get in the protein and get your body feeling good. Deb PS call your surgeon to discuss this too. and you definitely need to eat! even if your stomach didn't hurt you would need to eat!
Pen
on 8/24/06 7:53 am - OH
Topic: RE: Depression help
I am back on my Welbutrin XL, as of 1 and a half weeks ago. I also take Glucophage XL, as well as a ton of other stuff. I can't wait til I can give up some of these meds! I take them with a drink in the morning and hold off at least an hour before having my cereal. My surgeon never said anything about not taking extended meds. He did say to take a chewable vitamin and TUMS for calcium instead of that kind that is like a caramel. Maybe this is because I am on lapband?
Pen
on 8/24/06 7:44 am - OH
I am still on pureed foods. I LIVE for my daily serving of cottage cheese. It tastes great, is easy to digest and can have up to 30 grams of protein in a cup. I like the Jello sugar free pudding cups and they are a good source of protein. Yogurt is too, but I seem to crave savory things, not sweet things. Another thing that has saved my sanity is Thai Coconut soup. It is so flavorful. I make it with lite coconut milk and just don't put in the chicken or mushrooms. Next week I can have soft foods, so I will try it with the others. I have had one serving so far of sloppy joe mixture and a very small bit of tuna salad. I can't imagine eating meat plain yet. It sounds so dry, but I will try next week. I tried making an egg/sour cream/cheese strata, but one bite and it just stuck there. I was thinking of trying egg salad or a poached egg next week. I also have some protein powder, unsweetened. I bet you can use powdered milk for a fraction of the price (I plan to look this weekend). I put a scoopful in my mashed potatoes. I also add some to my hot cereal. But if you can tolerate cottage cheese, it is a great food, and gets you almost halfway to your protein goal.
Pen
on 8/24/06 7:31 am - OH
Topic: RE: Hello Everyone! First Post, Really Discouraged!!
My surgery date was July 31st too, and I have lost 26 lbs. My loss has been a little more spread out than yours, but last week, I just lost 3 pounds. I weigh myself "officially" once a week on Monday morning on a doctor type scale at the clinic at work. I can't resist taking little peeks in between times though on my home scale. This morning, I was actually UP a pound, on my home scale. But I won't let it bum me, because it is not the official weight. As I am getting my strength back, I figure I will walk more and that will help. Also, I read in Prevention magazine that drinking a cold 12 oz glass of water will raise your metabolism by 30% by 40 minutes later. Wow! Hang in there! Now you are losing inches that correspond to the water weight you lost earlier.
Pen
on 8/24/06 7:21 am - OH
Topic: RE: July Board Survey
Laproscopic Lap Band - 7/31/06 (I barely squeeked into this forum ) 1. How much have you lost? 26lbs 2. What are you doing for exercise? Some walking. Still feeling a bit weak. 3. Are you having any problems/ complications? Painful lump on my left arm above where my IV went whacko in my left had. My port is a much larger bulge than I would have imagined. Still watching my bruises change color and fade 4. How much protein have you been getting in? Aiming for 65, but usually between 50 and 60. 5. How much water/ liquids have you been getting in? 50 oz. but so much of my food is liquid, which I don't count. 6. What do you ususally eat within the course of a day? 6 small feeds. I am still on the pureed food stage. Breakfast - glass of Juice or V-8 or decaf coffee and my meds One hour later - Grits or Cream of Wheat Lunch - Cottage Cheese or Soup Afternoon snack - Varies, V-8, skim milk, leftover soup, applesauce, cottage cheese (if I didn't have it for lunch) Dinner - Mashed potatoes (with protein powder) or Soup or Cottage cheese or hummus Evening snack - V-8 or sugar free pudding
Most Active
Recent Topics
Happy 9 years!
Diminishing Dawn · 1 replies · 917 views
Old timer
Lindaanne · 0 replies · 1011 views
Almost 7 years for us!
Diminishing Dawn · 1 replies · 955 views
Happy 6 Years
Diminishing Dawn · 0 replies · 1046 views