Support

DivaofDestiny
on 6/23/05 7:38 am - Northern , VA
Hello 10/04's: Just wanted to know how many are involved in a gastric bypass support group or any other type of counseling or support. This process has proved to be an inside out job for me and the emotional/mental changes are overwhelming. Just when I think I've grown in an area, here comes another challenge. I've been picking up old eating habits in the past 2 weeks due to dealing with some co-dependency issues around my family who were visiting. The snacking has provided comfort only to be followed by guilt. Anyway, now that I recognize the pattern I am choosing to do something about it right now. I will stick to "the rules of the tool." Sometimes this is a one hour at a time process for me. I have a mentor (LPC)who specializes in eating disorders, women's issues, etc.. who is helping me sort this out. She even gives me homework assignments.lol I've shared all this one: to help myself by sharing openly with others and two: to see if anyone else is experiencing the loss of the honeymoon phase of this surgery too. Just wanted to see if I was the only one.
Brokenwing
Fallingwater

on 6/23/05 8:56 am - Dexter, ME
Tracy, I have a counsellor that works with WLS and eating disorders. I have a really hard time with carbs. They were my best friend for many many years. I have stalled my weight loss more than a few times and made myself sick more than I want to say. If only they could opperate on my head along with my tummy. I go to support group when I can and I go to countselling 2 times a month. I've learned a lot from both. Now if I could just put it into action. At 8 months out I've only lost 72 pounds and have another 56 pounds to go. You are far from the only one with this problem. Hang in there, be stubbon. We will make. If you reply to or email me and I don't answer you, it's because I have to go to my daughters to use the computer. Blessings, Barbara 268/258/186/130
DivaofDestiny
on 6/24/05 2:04 am - Northern , VA
Thanks so much for the support. We are all in this together and I appreciate your words of wisdom and support. Making it to goal one day at a time, Tracy
slimsweetie2004
on 6/23/05 10:27 pm - Clayton, IN
I do go to the gastric bypass support groups -- and at one time, was going to 3 of them. I still attend 2 of them on a regular basis. I started going prior to my surgery ... and feel that they have been an absolute lifesaver for me, during all kinds of challenges that I have had along the way. I am finding myself having cravings for some of the carbs that I know I need to stay away from. So I try to keep in touch via email with several of the other support group members or my best friend who had the surgery just before I did. I'm sure you are not alone with this ... hang in there! Susan
DivaofDestiny
on 6/24/05 4:47 am - Northern , VA
I live a hour and half from my hospital so attending that group is not feasible for me. I keep in contact with another young lady who had surgery the same time as me though. That's neat that you and your best friend went through this together. One Day at a Time, Tracy
Jill H.
on 6/25/05 4:19 am - Emmaus, PA
I must admit this is my first time back on the board in a couple of months because the last time I was here there were so many celebrating (as rightly they should) making the century mark. I am down only 80. I hate to say only because though we may be a little slower, we have still made tremendous, healthy, and wonderful changes in our lives. But I was feeling just a little like a failure with so many so far ahead of me. I am struggling not to feel that way. I tollerate carbs so well and they were also my friends for many years, and like you, I was dealing with other life issues and turned to them some for comfort. The battle with my head and emotions will always be there, but the surgery has made it possible for me to come this far. I know that I will struggle with this for the rest of my life, but I no longer struggle with health issues, or struggle to pick up a sock off the laundry room floor. I have more energy and I am enjoying doing things with my 7 year old. That feels so good and if I stop here, which I have no intention of settling for, my life is a hundred times better than it was a year ago. Cheers to all of us who keep trying despite setbacks. Jill
DivaofDestiny
on 6/28/05 6:49 am - Northern , VA
Welcome Back!!!! Stay encouraged and be proud of every lb and inch lost. You are a jewel!!!!! Tracy
infoquest
on 6/25/05 9:57 am - North Oakland County, MI
Hi Tracy, Yes support is a big part of this journey. I go every month to my doctors support group meetings which is about 30 miles away. I also participate in my State OH board. I attend some of the dinners or outings that people put on. I meet alot of people every month that has had WLS. We started a Bunco club with our OH friends, and I am even going on a Cruise in February with about 40 people from Michigan who had WLS. This is a big part of my life Take care, Janice
longandloud
on 6/27/05 10:00 am - Paragould, AR
I am sad to say that I haven't found or been made aware of any support groups in my area. I have lost down to just 10 pounds of my goal weight before when I followed "Weigh****hcers" it was the first time that I had every experienced issues with my appearance, experience, and had to adjust to a different life style. I come from a family like most of us that have centered around socialization involving food. So some of the hurdles that are involved with the changes that come with weight loss, I have already learned from. However no matter how much I remember from that experience, and no matter how different my appearance is in the mirror, I still see myself as big. It would be easier on me not to eat at all but I know enough to know the damage that this would do. The surgery has eliminated any hunger that I had so I now eat because I have to and not out of cravings or excessive hunger... It is easier for me to eat snack foods then other foods, but I try my best to avoid them. I am trying to get enough protein. I have told my family not to be upset if they insist on me going with them to a restaurant, and I chose not to eat. The upside to all of this is that the blessings that I am experiencing from the result of this surgery are outweighing past problems.
DivaofDestiny
on 6/28/05 6:50 am - Northern , VA
So glad to hear feedback from everyone on this subject. I really appreciate it. One Day at At time, Tracy
Most Active
Recent Topics
7 years post op & 80 lbs gained
jdelany · 1 replies · 1097 views
Cravings
J P. · 1 replies · 691 views
checking in
tinktee · 1 replies · 811 views
Checking in, it's been awhile
heather0824 · 0 replies · 577 views