Scars

guttedgrace
on 7/24/13 11:39 pm
RNY on 05/02/13

I was just wondering how long it took for your scars to fade? I've seen a lot of posts on here where vets say they can't even see their scars anymore. I'm 12 weeks out and my scars are still really dark. I just have no idea how long it takes for scars this deep to heal. Or are there others out there whose scars didn't really fade? Mederma and Vitamin E don't seem to be doing much for me.

65rosesmom
on 7/24/13 11:49 pm

I'm almost a year out and they are still visible but fading and flat now.  They were really bright and raised for a long while...much more than 12 weeks.   

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

Dee.spunk
on 7/24/13 11:50 pm - Sacramento, CA
I can still see my scars. I'm about 20 months out. They're very light and hardly noticeable, but I can still see them.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

exohexoh
on 7/25/13 12:06 am - West Chester, PA

i'm almost 3 years out and my big scar is still awful. if i go through with more plastics i'll likely have my ps revise the scar. it used to be right under my breast bone, but now after my tummy tuck it is down next to my belly button and is quite an eyesore. my tummy tuck was less than 2 months ago and that scar is already light years better!

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

(deactivated member)
on 7/25/13 12:14 am - NJ

I had my surgery in March and mine seem like they're getting darker. But I would rather have the scars than the 87lbs back!

Laura in Texas
on 7/25/13 12:38 am

At the end of year one I could no longer see my scars. I did nothing special to them.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

PetHairMagnet
on 7/25/13 8:23 am
RNY on 05/13/13

My husband will be a year out in Oct, his are fading, but visible. I am less than 3 months out and mine have improved, however only 4 are visible, one is in my belly button. I really hope they go away so I can wear a jogging bra and shorts to yoga this time next year!!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Joyceebaby
on 7/25/13 10:16 am
RNY on 11/29/12

This is a very individual thing.  The main thing I will suggest is, if you are going to do any tanning, keep your scars covered for at least one year.  UV light and scars are not a good combination and will cause the scars to appear more pronounced.  At 12 weeks yours scars are still very fresh.  It will be many months to a year before you get an idea of what the final result will be.  I've had several surgeries...all of the scars got very light over the course of about 24 months.

kinny09
on 7/25/13 10:51 am, edited 7/25/13 10:51 am - New York, NY
RNY on 06/11/13

I'm only 6 weeks out but I have had two other surgeries in my life...I will say scarring is different for everyone. I can still see my appendectomy scar clear as day (it was open) and it has keloided in areas along the scar line, still red...My left ankle scar from almost a decade ago is still visible and raised, and pink. My lap incision sites are much smaller in size than these other surgical ones, but I estimate at least two of them will keloid and be visible, the other few don't look like they will be bad...So the best way to gage this is to look at how you have healed from major cuts/wounds in the past.

HW: 306         Day of Surgery: 299         Current Weight: 172

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/25/13 10:58 am - OH

I don't remember from my RNY 6 years ago (I had open RNY so it took longer for the very long incision to fade than small lap incisions, anyway), but I can tell you that I had knee replacement surgery in early March and that scar is just starting to fade from purple to light pink along most of it and from pink to white on a small section.  Keep in mind that you aren't getting very much nutrition right now, so your body is not healing at its normal rate.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 487 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 378 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 371 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 312 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 107 views
Recent Topics