Will Power

guttedgrace
on 10/15/13 11:36 pm, edited 10/15/13 11:45 pm
RNY on 05/02/13

I had my surgery in May, but started the bariatric diet last January. I stuck to the regime (40g or less of carbs a day, 60g or more of protein a day, no sugar, something like 600-800 calories per day) for a little over 8 months. I've recently started eating more carbs and sugar. I had a "2 serving" size packet of peanut m&m's for dinner last night. I also only go to the gym once a week now when I used to go 4 times a week. I don't know how to get back on track. Where did my motivation go? I've lost 81.4 lbs since January and am wearing size 10's and M shirts. I'm thrilled with my progress, so why am I sabotaging myself now? Here are some things to point out about me:

1. No, I don't see a psychologist, but am considering it.
2. Yes, I realize this is hindering my success and my brain still lets me eat this crap. I haven't really been losing for around 3-     4 weeks now.
3. I have a little over 30 pounds to lose to get to my goal (thought I want to lose even more than that I'm thinking) so I realize weight loss will be slower than it was at this stage.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom for me or "tricks" to stick to the diet. I'm not afraid of tough love. How do vets keep the weight off years after the surgery? Thanks for any help you can give me. enlightened

cajungirl
on 10/15/13 11:45 pm

Be honest with yourself, which you did here.  You've got to tackle the carbs and sweets.  The more you allow in your diet the more your body craves them.  Go back to protein first, measure and then allow room for complex carbs after you've eaten your protein.

It's not easy the further out you get, I have some good days and some horrible.  Depending on what I'm dealing with in life at the moment I either don't want to eat or I'm looking at junk to fill a void.  This is tough for sure.

Take out your pre-op pictures and put them on your bathroom mirror, refrigerator, pantry.  Congrats on your 81 lb loss, you've still got time to lose with the malabsorption, use it wisely.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Ocalasam
on 10/16/13 12:20 am
RNY on 12/18/12

It sounds like you're in a little bit of a rut.  You might try doing something new to exercise. . .something more fun, or find a partner.  If you start making bad choices now, you are likely to gain.  My best friend had WLS about 8 years ago and she looked fantastic when she got down to about 140 pounds.  That lasted about a minute.  She went back to her old eating habits (still smaller portions, but constant junk and no tracking of calories or protein, etc.).  She also went back to drinking with meals and eating sweets.   She snacks all day long.  I think her food addiction is worse than before WLS.  She got down to a size 6, now she's an 18.  There's nothing wrong with an 18, but I didn't have my body rearranged to go back to plus sized clothes!!!  I would seek counseling if you are able to see why you are making these choices. 

gbsinsatx
on 10/16/13 2:37 pm - San Antonio, TX

Please see my profile page if interested.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

MyLady Heidi
on 10/16/13 4:21 pm

I do have tricks that work for me, it took me 2.5 years to get to my goal.  I started at 283.5 and currently weigh 127, I keep it off by a strict diet, I don't eat during the day, only at night and I limit everything.  I wasted 20 years MO, I will never waste another minute.  I eat brown rice everyday now, lots of fat free chicken, and protein bars for my chocolate fix.  Nothing processed, no more take out food, everything I make ever since my bil was diagnosed with diabetes my family has been dieting and I cook.  I eat approx 1000 calories a day during the week and more on the weekends.  You have to figure out what works for you.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 487 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 380 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 372 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 314 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 111 views
What's on your Monday Menu?