grocery shopping after surgery

Catsi51
on 9/6/15 11:33 am

Hello Everyone,

I finally have a date for my RNY surgery - Sept. 28th. Here's my question.... because of the way my budget works, it would be better for me to shop for needed items AFTER surgery rather than before. I did already purchase protein shakes and powder, bottled water and jello. For the few other items I will need for the first week or so, do you all think, based on your experience, that I will feel good enough to stop at the grocery store on the way home from the hospital, which should be 3 days after surgery if all goes well - or should I bite the bullet and get everything BEFORE hand? I know everyone is different but I'd like to hear your thoughts...... Thanks!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

Queen JB
on 9/6/15 11:41 am
RNY on 07/20/15

Congrats on your surgery date!

I could not have shopped on my way home from the hospital. I was too sore, tired, and my mind was too fuzzy to make the decisions I'd need to, in order to make sure I got everything I needed. I think I was ready to walk around the store about 6 or 7 days out.

Can you make a comprehensive list and send someone else?

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

chulbert
on 9/6/15 1:12 pm - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

Literally on the way home?  No.  Nope.  No way.  If your budget requires you to wait then I recommend you send a family member with a list.

Pokemom
on 9/6/15 2:03 pm
RNY on 12/29/14

Agreed.  A big NO to shopping on the way home.  One thing to remember is that for the first week, you will hardly eat anything, and the shopping list will be short!!!

Eggface
on 9/6/15 3:45 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Maybe pick up some boxed broth or make some ahead homemade and freeze in ice cube trays and a box of SF popsicles... that's truly about all you will need. It's tablespoons for that first week... sips... you are a very cheap date for awhile ;) anything more than that will sit beyond the expiration date... you'll want to get out and about by the time you need more.

Excited for you! Hope you will soon be saying what I do about having WLS... best gift I ever gave myself. 

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Thomas H.
on 9/6/15 9:13 pm - Saint Petersburg, FL

After a five day hospital stay and they did my surgery completely lapro-scopically (spelling?) I was way too tired to go shopping right after. I just wanted to go home and sleep, once I got home. I took a shower, laid down and slept almost 14 hours. I needed it. 

"Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor." - Alexis Carrel

Catsi51
on 9/7/15 8:01 am

Thanks everyone for the replies! Greatly appreciated. Duh - I don't know why I didn't think of having someone else do the shopping for me after Oct. 1st.... that is obviously the best answer!! As I said, I already have jello, protein powder and lots and lots of water in the house - the only things I really need, it sounds like, is sugar-free Popsicles and broth. So I should be fine. Again, thanks for all the input. :-)

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

selhard
on 9/8/15 4:19 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Napping will be on your mind more than grocery shopping.  My first time in a grocery store was emotional but not now.  I pay attention to carts heaped with food feeling quietly proud my cart may have a can of black beans, a package of spinach leaves, and a container of Greek yogurt.  It empowers me to know I'm staying on track, not easily tempted by junk food, not feeling deprived, and best of all, PREFERRING quality food.  You should find WLS helps with your grocery budget you speak of, too.      

selhard
on 9/7/15 9:37 pm, edited 9/7/15 9:38 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Speaking of budget, I compare spending money in a measurement of  $10 pizzas I am NOT eating. Here's an example how it works:  I own a Nutribullet in the color gray.  I decided I liked the looks of the red Nutribullet better.  How do I justify buying it?  Easy.  It sells for $79...that's eight pizzas I am not eating.  The gray Nutribullet then goes to my DD so she will make healthy protein smoothies instead of eating pizza like I used to.  There's a glitch in my figuring I didn't anticipate, however.  My DH has caught on to my justification-spending and thinks he can use his own method.  He says he's going to start measuring everything in cartons of cigarettes he has never smoked and buy a new tractor.  Moral of the story:  if you use the pizza budget idea, keep it hush so no one rains on your parade.  

Catsi51
on 9/8/15 2:30 pm

Selhard, I love that!! Made me laugh out loud!!