How is July 2003ers doing?

Lynn S.
on 6/20/05 6:42 am - Springville, al
considering the weight never went anywhere, not good. my doctor tells me that 40 lbs in 2 years is normal...so i am having to go back to another run of tests to find out what happened
Elizabeth J.
on 6/26/05 3:06 pm - Corpus Christi, TX
My two year anniversary will be July 30, I'm actually excited and just a little afraid. I reached my goal weight plus lost a extra 5lbs, but I'm still afraid of gaining any of my weight back. Some of my family says I can stand to gain a few, but I don't listen to them they don't understand I have worked to hard to get this weight off to let it come back. I had gained 6lbs, but I have now lost 1.5 of that. I'm going to continue to weigh in once a week to keep a eye on my weight so it won't get out of control. I know I need to go back to drinking more water, which I think is my main problem. I do exercise atleast 4-5 times a week so that's a big help. I wish you all the best and I will pray that we all continue to keep the weight off.
Boogies N.
on 7/1/05 10:59 am - brooklyn park, mn
HI Elizabeth, it sounds like your doing well. But I would like to ask you. Where did your goal come from? Did you wish to be this weight or the doctor said this is your goal or you looked at a chart? just curious, cause my doctor wont give us goals. He checks the BMI charts to see where a healthy BMI would be and uses that as the excess weight to start with. ON our local site we have a Dr in our area that does water weight for body fat % and lean and such. many are doing that to see if the chart of lets say 5'5" 125lbs for 30yrs old is good. I know my Personal goal is 145. at my age I really feel deep down I will not ever see that. BUt I do feel good[except for the pouch that hangs} at 166 and am happy to be here. I am alive and doing much more than I was 2 yrs ago. would love plastics but insurance dont and I am apprehensive on it from negative posts I have read. You may want to reaccess if you really need to lose those 5 pounds. we are suppose to have some rebound and that could be waht this is. you may just want to maintain now and leave the 5 lbs alone. Just my thoughts. Bonnie
Elizabeth J.
on 7/2/05 1:59 pm - Corpus Christi, TX
Hey Bonnie, I chose my own goal, I was actually looking at my BMI. I wanted it to get to normal instead of overweight. Now I'm trying to maintain the weight that I am at right now. I thought I would get to maybe 165, I was really surprise when the weight continued to come off, I actually got worried just for a moment because it looked as if I wasn't going to stop losing. I would like to get rid of my excessive skin at my stomach, it's not as bad but I know it's there....my insurance won't cover it...but I'm grateful for the surgery so if I never get rid of the excessive skin I'm okay. I have lost 2 of the lbs. I wanted to lose by drinking more water. I'm really happy and content with my weight loss, especially since it will be two years this month.
Ramona E.
on 7/20/05 7:49 am - Beardstown, IL
HI; I need to update my after picture that is for sure. I have lost a total of 184 pds. I had reached goal weight of 170 before incisional hernia repair surgery. After that I was only able to eat 1/2 c a food per meal if that and have went down to 162 lbs. My Dr's office told me now don't worry if you gain 10 pds now because that is normal and commonly happens to patients after they reach goal weight. I told them NO WAY I am not going to gain that 10 pds. and guess what ??? (I haven't.) I worked too hard to get where I am at to even think about gaining weight... I am now a little less than half the woman I used to be. I used to be a sz 30-32 and now can wear 6's & 8's!!! I am so much more healthier and I can actually stay awake the whole day. Before surgery I slept most of the time.... It has been a great experience for me. My son just had his surgery July 6th of this year...HE is 18 and has been obese since he was 5. I am so proud of him for making this lifechanging decision..... Together we can keep each other accountable!! ... Ramona 346/162
Dorothy B. L.
on 7/23/05 3:53 am - Las Vegas, NV
Ann: Today at this very moment is my two year "Rebirth". Over the past six months or so I find myself playing "tag" with seven pounds. I understand this is common. I would still like to lose another 16 pounds to achieve my goal. I do not know how much of this weight is excess skin, as I have a lot of it. I will use the next 12 months to lose the remainder of the weight. I am still enjoying shopping for Size 8/10 sometimes Size 12, clothing. This has been a wonderful journey! I have absolutely no regrets in my decision. I wish you and all of us continued success.
Mary F.
on 7/24/05 3:15 pm - Upstate, NY
Here it is almost two years since that fateful day and I can reflect upon a couple of things that sort of sum up how things are going. 1. My 'goal' was done by size, not weight. (And this would be my own personal goal). I had dreams of being a 14 again, maybe even shimmying into a 12! If you would have told me then that I would be a size 10, (and I hover between 175-180 pounds) I would have NEVER believed it, yet it's true. I buy size 10 jeans, shorts, mediums... sometimes even smalls! It is incredible! Even though the charts still have me labeled as overweight, at 5'8", in a size 10, I am happy as a clam. 2. I think I look healthy. I don't look heavy, yet I don't look 'skinny'. I'm somewhere in that normal range, I think, and that makes me feel confident. 3. I did, however, move almost a year ago. I'm out of the loop, too far to see my surgeon anymore and believe it or not, I have NOT been able to find a support group in my new location. It blows my mind. So over the past year I feel I have slipped from the healthy eating a bit, and I certainly am not exercising like I should. I miss the fellow WLSers and feel rather lost at the moment. I need to get back on track and I certainly need some sort of support network to keep myself grounded. Though my weight fluctuates a wee bit I haven't gained and for that I'm grateful. I do realize however, that I need to be proactive and get back on the straight and narrow before I undo all of the good that's been done. Congrats to all of you on your successes over the past two years. It's nice to stop in here from time to time and read how life has changed for the better, for nearly every one of us. Hugs!
angnadam
on 8/17/05 5:02 am - IN
July 30 was my two year anniversary and what a two years it has been! I started out at 268 and lost 120 pounds within the first 12 months. Since that time I have had breast augmentation (which put 6 pounds on) and started on HRT which caused me to gain 12 pounds in 6 weeks. So, it has been a real roller coaster. The doctor has changed my meds and I have lost 4 of the 12 pounds. I am able to eat everything and I know I overdo it on the carbs. I have thought about doing something similar to the Southbeach Diet to just get back to having enough protein in. My life today is 150 times more enjoyable than it was 2 years ago. Could I be happy if I wasn't able to lose this weight I gained from meds--absolutely, but I know I can do it. So, each day is another step on this journey of a lifetime. Best wishes to you all.......... Sandy
melissa4403
on 9/11/05 10:00 am - Edgerton, WI
My surgery was on July 1, 2003. I am doing well. I am at my goal weight. I wanted to be 108. I am 5'1". I am 96 pounds. I am now wearing a size 0. I am so glad I had this surgery. I feel great. Hugs to you all..... Melissa
roseanneporcelli
on 12/27/05 8:40 pm - Bradford, MA
I rebounded 7 pounds a few months ago and float up and down 2 of those pounds. I hate it, but others tell me I look better. I weighed 129.5 this morning, am 5'2" and started at 231 prior to surgery. I had to give up my size 4 pants..grrr... I eat about five times a day, but haven't had protein shakes in awhile. I found that they added weight! odd, eh? I started exercising again, but stopped again. Sheesh..I always hated gym and STILL DO! My surgery was 7/21/03 in Lowell, Ma. My profile is updated. Regards to all! Hugs, Roseanne
Most Active
Recent Topics
8 years out and gained weight
Paula B. · 3 replies · 857 views
Plateau and gains and losses
robkreft · 0 replies · 609 views
need help
minischnauz · 4 replies · 704 views
Need help after 4 years....
ymebehere · 1 replies · 614 views