Recent Posts

stephaniewshw
on 8/27/06 5:25 am - Pooler, GA
Topic: RE: I'm a mess!
Dear Mariah, You are so kind to write me back...I think my "purging" (no pun intended!) on the board was therapeutic for me...I need to get myself together and the past couple of days have been better. You are absoutlely right about being selfish if I don't take care of myself...I have to remember that I did this in large part for the kids...it is quite the wakeup call to know that you suffered the loss of a friend from a stroke...I'm terribly sorry for you, her family and friends... I talked to my surgeon who put me back on the pre surg. liquid diet until my ulcer heals...I'm to drink at least 63 grams of protein...of course you are right...my heart is a muscle...thanks so much for reminding me. I am taking all my vitamins and I haven't thrown up in a couple of days so I'm feeling better just from that. You've lost 70 pounds since your surgery on 7/12?! How did you accomplish that! It's just wonderful!! I would appreciate your support so much...with three little ones at home it's hard to get out to the support groups at the hospital...I do have a question for you-how and by what source do you get your protein in each day? How much do you get in? Again, thank you so much for your kind response-it means a great deal to me. Be well Stephanie
mricktor
on 8/27/06 4:09 am - Menlo Park, CA
Topic: Can anyone suggest a protein bar we can eat?
I am getting sick of protein shakes....
Jandell
on 8/26/06 1:39 pm - Glendora, CA
Please call your DR. If your throwing everything up you may have a complication like a stricture. It's easily fixed and you'll feel better right away. I developed one at 4 weeks out, and felt awful, it just got worse and worse. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers. Janet
ccstann
on 8/26/06 1:26 pm - Fernandina Beach, FL
RNY on 07/27/06 with
Topic: RE: Stricture here too, at 4 weeks post-op!
Do you know or remember what caused the stricture?
ccstann
on 8/26/06 1:23 pm - Fernandina Beach, FL
RNY on 07/27/06 with
Topic: RE: A LITTLE BUMMED!
I am trying to measure my success by other things rather than weight/scale. Though I realize that these others won't come without lose the weight. I put my wedding ring back on after a year. I have stopped taking 4 medications, have cut one in half. Gone down in insuline used from 160 to 30 units. Isn't it great.
ccstann
on 8/26/06 1:17 pm - Fernandina Beach, FL
RNY on 07/27/06 with
Topic: RE: July Board Survey
1. How much have you lost? 20 lbs 2. What are you doing for exercise? Not much I have a G-tube in and it hurts just when I walk. I did finally walk Super WalMart today but I am hurting. I am still on pain medication because of the G-tube. 3. Are you having any problems/ complications? Just the G-tube. It was put in for precaution for nutrition and medications if needed. They took it out on the 10th and had to put it back in because the stomach acids where coming out. I hope to have it on Monday. 4. How much protein have you been getting in? Anywhere from 40 to 70. I thought I could do more but not yet. Each day gets better though. 5. How much water/ liquids have you been getting in? If I count the protein, which I use water to make my then about the same as the protein. 6. What do you ususally eat within the course of a day? Having trouble with eggs. So tuna on no salt crackers, shrimp salad on no salt crakers, yogourt, SF jello pudding to tak medication, turkey meatball with mash potatoes, and SF jello.
debg
on 8/26/06 9:23 am - brooklyn, NY
RNY on 07/06/06 with
Hey Stephanie... This is a tough surgery to deal with and you have a lot on your plate (no pun intended) already. My biggest recommndation is to talk to your surgeon - you paid him/her, get your money's worth. Maybe you need a support group, or a nutritionist. The two pound gain I wouldn't worry about - unfortunately we women retain fluids at the drop of a hat... I'd be more concerned about the protein and the throwing up. and the fluids. Maybe you could try a protein shake - the atkins ones are pretty tasty and have lots of protein and very little sugar... that would help with both the fluids AND the protein. It really sounds to me like you could use an angel or a support person close by - maybe you should post on the main message board or on your state's board. You are NOT alone in feeling badly - this is an extremely tough procedure - not just the operaton but all the stuff around it. I know for me I emotional eat - and since i can't do that it has been pretty rocky. One last thing, as a fellow mom, I did this for me sure but I also did it for my son. he needs/deserves a healthy mother. So do your kids. You need to slow down and take care of yourself so that you can take care of them. Maybe their father could pitch in a bit more for this time period? just until you get on your feet and into a routine with your foods and liquids. If not him, maybe a good friend or relative? Please know that I have found tons of support on this board and you will too. Best - Deb
Mariah
on 8/26/06 8:15 am - Richmond, IN
Stephanie, I my heart goes out to you, but U are going to have to take care of yourself. If u have a stroke or a heart attach...which is what will happen...u will be of no help to your children. You dont want them to have to grow up without a mom. That would be totally selfish of you. Im sorry to put it that way but this is critical. I know a lady who did just that...and she had a stroke from not taking care of herself after surgery. That is why pre-op teaching is important and why any good Dr makes u sign that u will do everything as they instruct. Protien...Keeps u from losing muscle as you loose the fat. Which by the way your HEART is a muscle.... This is why we are prone to heart attachs when we dont get our protein in. We also can loose our hair if we dont get enough. It is manditory that we get in our vitamins, calcium and B12. I would like to say that this is Major for patients that had the RNY. I dont know what surgery u had. Feel free to email me if u have any other questions. Im willing to try and help you. We cant have those babies missing their mom becouse shes in the hospital or worse... Mariah surgery 7-12-06 394/324/160 Im down 70 lbs today YIPPEE
stephaniewshw
on 8/25/06 11:08 pm - Pooler, GA
Topic: I'm a mess!
I'm brand new to this site and brand new to message boards...hope this makes sense! I had my sugery 7/11 and discovered via an egd I had an ulcer. Dr. has put me on Nexium...I need to be honest...I'm not doing the program-I'm sabataging myself and I don't know why...we have 3 children under 6 and the baby has spina bifida, needing constant care...I keep throwing up whatever I try and it's close to impossible to get all the liquids and proteins in. What happens if you don't get all the protein in? Do you end up gaining weight or do you plateau? When I went for my month checkup, I had lost 19.5 since surgery but I've actually gained 2 pounds in the two weeks since! What am I doing? What have I done! I'm going to spend some time today on OH to try and come up with some answers...any help would be so appreciated. Thank you, Stephanie [email protected]
debg
on 8/25/06 9:38 pm - brooklyn, NY
RNY on 07/06/06 with
Topic: RE: Too many CARBS?? Having trouble with meat.
yes cheese is great! alpine lace swiss reduced fat is tasty, easy to chew up to the right consistancy and it is like 50 calories a piece and 2 g fat and 8 protein! i also like muenster and have had cheddar. you can melt cheese into a scrambled egg to boost it up. Deb
Most Active
Recent Topics
Happy 9 years!
Diminishing Dawn · 1 replies · 924 views
Old timer
Lindaanne · 0 replies · 1015 views
Almost 7 years for us!
Diminishing Dawn · 1 replies · 961 views
Happy 6 Years
Diminishing Dawn · 0 replies · 1054 views