Got a surgery date!

floweringgemini
on 9/26/15 3:13 am - Rocky Point, NC

I met the surgeon yesterday. I got a date of October 19. I am so excited, nervous and a million other emotions. It has finally become reality and I have so many people to thank for making it this far. All of you that read and respond to my posts as well as those of you that post your questions. The whole OH family has helped keep me motivated to fight forward and for that I thank each and every one of you. What was really a surprise was that I have to lose at least 7lb before I can have the surgery, they will just push my date until I meet the weight loss. He does not usually do this but seeing the work that I have put in he is giving me this date on the honor system. So my question at this point is what can I do to lose 7 pounds by the 15th of Oct? I have a physical job and need to stay nourished as well so a starvation diet will not do it for me. I am just looking for advice from those of you who have been there and done this. Thanks again to all and I can not wait to join the losers group (I think this is one of the only places that, that is a logical statement 

Deanna798
on 9/26/15 3:27 am
RNY on 08/04/15

go full liquids.  you will be less calories after surgery, so you might as well get used to the low calories.  your intake will likely be 500 to 700 calories a day after surgery, so prepare yourself by doing it now.  i did 6 days all liquid, which was mandatory for my surgeon, and lost 10lbs the week before surgery.  

Your body will not starve on a low calorie diet, it will just use your excess fat as fuel.  reduce those calories and congrats on your surgery date!

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Maria27
on 9/26/15 10:46 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

Congrats! Here is the diet my program gave me to follow for two weeks before surgery. It is tolerable with a pre-surgery stomach, and I lost 13 pounds in those two weeks.

Each day you are allowed up to the following (I didn't use every category):

15 oz poultry or fish (baked, broiled, boiled, or grilled) and eggs (limit of two egg yolks)

1/2 cup beans and legumes

1/4 cup nuts and seeds

1-2 servings of protein powder

2 cups low-fat dairy products (milk, milk substitutes, greek yogurt)

3/4 cup fruit

3 cups non-starchy vegetables

unlimited broth, seasonings, vinegar, mustard, tea, coffee, sugar-free beverages, sugar-free popsicles and fudgsicles, sugar-free jell-o, and sugar substitutes

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Felicity Q.
on 9/26/15 12:51 pm
DS on 09/28/15

Hi Flowering,

While I was waiting for my surgery approval and date, I started the RNY post-op eating plan and stuck with it for about 2.5 months. In that time, I lost over 30lb.  I would aim for 80g of protein per day, completely cut out carbs and sugar. I averaged about 750 calories per day and didn't feel hungry all the time.  If you're not sure how to eat that way, check out the "What's on your Menu, RNY'ers" that AngryViking posts... you'll see what the RNY folks are eating to keep things low carb and high protein! Good luck to you! 

Lap-Band 2011 | DS Revision 9/28/15 | HW: 380 in 2011 | GW: 140

Blog: http://felicitywls.blogspot.com/ | Twitter: @FelicityQ13

Karen R.
on 9/27/15 6:37 am - Amelia, OH
Revision on 09/10/15

Congrats!!!!! I am so happy for you!

Karen

Ht: 5'3"/Pre-Band Weight:256/Revision to RNY 9/10/15-Weight: 219--GW: 115--CW 105

Catsi51
on 9/27/15 7:20 am

I was required to lose 17 pounds before surgery. I had two months to do it. I kept my carb intake to 20-25 grams a day. It worked well for me - lost the 17 plus 3 more - total of 20 lbs off pre-surgery. That's 20 less to lose after, and my surgeon was happy with my loss. Everyone is different - counting calories never worked well for me to lose - restricting carbs is the only way I've ever been able to lose weight, and fortunately that is the recommended way of eating after the surgery at the program I attend. Good luck with your pre-surgery dieting, and good luck with your surgery. Mine is this coming Monday - can hardly believe it's finally here!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

clnewsome_85
on 9/27/15 10:42 am
RNY on 10/19/15

First off, congrats on your surgery date! I too a, having my RNY on October 19th. I am in an amazing program, lots of requirements and standards prior to surgery. My program requires a 2 week Pre-0p lliquid diet, consuming a minumum of 100grams of protein a day and at least 64 ounces of water (always shoot for 100 though). In this time in shrinks your liver, making it easier for the surgeon AND promotes weight loss. the weight loss you will loose in those two weeks is strictly fat weight. basic rules

pre op protein can be protein shakes but other beverages must be see thru. Carbs in protein should be 1/3 of protein..there for if you have a protein shake that is 30g protein you carb can not be any higher than 10. Fat grams MUST be under 6g fat.

Clear liquids include jello, broth, propel, sugar free popsicles (similar to post-op)

If you want more information let me know! we are in it together! I start my liquid diet on 10/5/15

Good Luck!

floweringgemini
on 9/27/15 12:56 pm - Rocky Point, NC

I have already started a mostly liquid diet. I'm drinking my protein drinks and eating cabbage soup that I made with lean meats. Its bat 148 calories and 21 grams protein. I have until the 15th to lose 7lb or they will push my surgery bac****il I do.  Right now is a time I wish I wad all a line so I didn't have to cook tacos and chicken wings for the family. Its kind of torture a little bit. 

clnewsome_85
on 9/27/15 2:31 pm
RNY on 10/19/15

I totally understand, we are implementing good eating habits for the most part at home. I am lucky that my husband is home before me so for a little while he is going to have everyone fed before i get home. I cook thanksgiving every year and am worried about that... not about the eating part per say but i taste test things...i dont use recipes lol i am going to have to find a new taste tester! 

What is your cabbage soup recipe? how many carbs are in it?

Thanks so much and im excited someone is doing this same journey the same time as me!!

Chels

floweringgemini
on 9/27/15 8:46 am, edited 9/27/15 8:49 am - Rocky Point, NC

1.00 container (14 oz (56g) ea.), Turkey Kielbasa; Grilled Chicken Breast, Cubed; 5 slices, HORMEL Canadian Style Bacon; 2 12 oz cans V8 Juice Low Sodium; 1.00 box(2 packets), Beefy Onion Recipe Soup & Dip Mix; 1.00 large, Onions, raw; 8 cups water; 1 large head cabbage   I put it all together and boiled until the cabbage was a desired texture  

Nutrition info: Calories 158, Fat 6g, Carb 13g, Protein 21g

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 370 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 442 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 332 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 336 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 149 views