5 Days till surgery and I am getting a cold

floweringgemini
on 10/14/15 3:33 am - Rocky Point, NC

So I have suffered through the waiting, that anticipation, the denials and my last days of being miserably over weight. As I have begun to look forward to and fantasize about the future I wake up with a stuffy nose and a cough. I avoided and managed to stay healthy all month through others in my life getting sick and here I sit with cold medicine and a box of tissues. Without a fever and having a clear chest I wonder if they are going to want to reschedule me. Does anyone know? Has anyone had the surgery with a slight cold?

White Dove
on 10/14/15 4:29 am - Warren, OH

Call the surgeon and let them know. They might want to prescribe something to help make sure you are ok for anesthesia

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

phibbmom
on 10/14/15 4:54 am

I had a cold. They went through with it. You can call your doc to let them know (I did) and see what they say just to give you peace.

High: 295  Pre-surgery: 267  Current: 142   RNY: 10/7/14

HFA70
on 10/14/15 6:58 am

I had a cold, it was the tail end of it though. I felt fine, chest was clear, no fever and they went ahead with it. I would also suggest calling your surgeon's office to let them know.

Queen JB
on 10/14/15 7:04 am
RNY on 07/20/15

Chances are with a little cold, it's nothing, and you will be perfectly fine, but there is no reason to take chances if your doc recommends postponing it. Remember, as much as you want this surgery to happen now, it is better to wait a week in order to be complication free, than to just do it because you want it. Besides, I cannot physically imagine the pain of coughing or sneezing post-op, so be aware of that part, too.

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 387 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 443 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 336 views
What's on your Monday Menu?