Re: Gaining weight back after 2 years.............Help!

Laura H.
on 3/4/05 2:08 pm - GulfBreeze, FL
I need some advice and fast. I am 2 years and 5 months postop (10/02) and i lost a total of 130#. That put me at 132#. Now i'm back up to 152# and scared to death. I can't wear my 8's or 10's anymore and i am starting to feel "fat" again. I start each day telling myself "I am going to watch what I eat, and exercise" but by Noon, i find myself "grazing" all morning through work, and then eat lunch, more more than I should I'm sure, and then I eat on the way home and then have dinner.....and it goes on and on like that. I know I need to NOT graze and Not eat in the car and Not eat while I read and watch TV or play on the computer but its like I HAVE to do it.....and i'm sneeking again, candy and sweets so i won't disappoint my kids and husband. Am I the only one that has this problem or is there someone out there that can give me some tips or advice. I'm so mad at myself. I almost died with my surgery, put myself through all that and my family through it, and i'm going to gain it all back? Maybe I need to not eat for a week or so.....just liquids..i'm sorry, i'm rambling because i'm scared and i've never actually put it into words like this. HELP!!!
Angela B.
on 3/9/05 5:58 am - Topsham, Me
Hi Laura Im sorry to hear about your weight gain.. I had surgery 10/25/02 and i've lost 147 pounds (I was 305 and im 158 now) and i am obsessed with my weight its driving my family crazy i am so afraid of gaining i weight myself everyday and if im up a few pounds (bloating or just normal) i beat myself up over it and i have found myself thinking about doing the same thing you've suggested Starvation.. Right now i'm up 8 pounds in a few days and my eating habits haven't changed and i am so depressed about it my husband keeps telling me its jus****er weight and not to worry about it but it scares the hell out of me.. and he is probably right because this has happened before and its fallen right off in a couple of days but i keep thinking what if this time its no****er weight.. Im scared and i am my own worse critic.. i guess im not much help. im just as bad if not worse but i want you to know that you'r not alone..
Laura H.
on 3/9/05 2:09 pm - GulfBreeze, FL
Thank you so much for writing me. It is helpful to know that i'm not alone and that maybe most postops go through this. Last night we had a death in the family and now we have to fly up to Pittsburgh and i'm very nervous because i haven't seen any of the family up there since my surgery. I'm afraid to eat anything in front of people who know i've had the surgery but have never seen me "eat" yet. And all people in the north know how to eat and at funerals there is food everywhere. Maybe i'll try to waterlog myself and that may help me not pick as much. People think that we can only eat 2 oz. still. I think on average i eat 4-5oz a meal.....does that sound like where your at? and do you exercise daily? I would love to chat online sometime if your interested, let me know. Thanks again and hope to talk with you soon. Laura
(deactivated member)
on 3/10/05 8:08 am - Sacramento, CA
I'm 2yrs out as well and I still monitor the scale very VERY closely. I dont stress over a few pounds (water weight, menstrual cycle etc), but when I see that same few pounds sticking around, I watch what I'm eating more carefully. The first year, I was able to stay below 118lbs without doing anything at all. The second year out, I have had to be a lot more careful. I've set a reasonable maintenance range for myself. I am comfy at my current weight of 115lbs however I'll allow myself up to 125lbs. I will admit I havent let it get that far before I back off on the eating. I also noticed that I tend to carry a few extra pounds during the winter versus my weight during the rest of the year. I attribute this to being a LOT more physically active during the warmer months of the year (extra activities with family outside of the normal workouts).
Janina S.
on 4/19/05 10:50 am - Kingsport, TN
Hi Laura, I had my surgery 10/14/02. I lost 130lbs but have gained 18 of it back and feel so sick to my stomach about it. I try to eat sensibly and cant eat a lot of sugar still. But it seems that unless I "just dont eat" I cant lose a pound. I STILL weigh myself several times a week. I think that I will always be obsessed with my weight. I had to go out and buy size 12 jeans, when I had been wearing size 8. I feel for you and hope that you are able to find peace with yourself, as I should.
cindi N.
on 5/15/05 5:11 am - Rochester, NY
Laura, I had my surgery back in 2001...had the TT, arm lift. Felt great and then began to gain too. In January I was back up to 187 and I got scared with 200 around the corner. I began going to the gym 5 days a week and started the "no white stuff" diet again. I am back down 25 lbs and feel fabulous again. I think you just have to commit to yourself again to a live or die scenario. WE took drastic measures a last ditch effort to lose it. Remember the "tool" is there for you just pick it up and begin again. Keep the promise to yourself...you go girl!! Cindi
(deactivated member)
on 9/6/06 5:52 am
Hi Laura, I feel your pain!! I had my surgery on Oct. 15, 2002 and lost about 110 pounds in all. I was under 200 for a change...well, slowly but surely I've gained 25 pounds back in the past year. I have been so stressed and depressed because of this. I finally went to see my surgeon a couple of weeks ago, hoping that he would fuss and get me all riled up but all he said was "you're no longer a success story". Oh my goodness!! That did it. I asked him what I needed to do and he gave me the following advise: 1. Get back to my protein first. 2. Lay off the coca cola's and get back on my water 3. Quit sneaking and eating sweets (unfortunately sweets don't bother me unless they are real rich) 4. Breads are a weakness - he suggested WASA. They carry it in grocery stores and its not bad. 5. Get on an exercise program....I rejoined Gold's Gym 2 weeks ago. I've lost 5 pounds in 2 weeks and I'm feeling much better. I'm going to make it. DebbieDoo
Tami C.
on 8/27/08 9:03 pm - Madison, GA
hi Laura, I know this post is coming a lot later but wanted to know how you are doing now? I had my surgery in Oct of 2002,lost 100 and stayed at my goal weight for 5 years. Within the past 6 months I have put on 30lbs. I was diagnosed with a thyroid condition,but now the weight is there and does not want to go away. I don't know what to do and am very frustrated. I hope you are doing well. TPC
Most Active