Recent Posts

Cori W.
on 6/19/03 12:50 am - Fulton, Ny
Topic: RE: What are the most dramatic differences in your life since the surgery?
Hi Paul. I agree with you about changes. I too am changing., and because I am only 33 I am sure it is not a midlife crisis, but this wonderful gift we have been given by our surgeons.The changes are not drastic, but I am gradually changing the way I dress and how my hair is cut. I also now wear arcrylic fingernails, and just feel that it is Ok for me to now pay more attention to how I look. I feel better about myself, both physically and mentally, so why not go for some change. Our bodies are changing so I think it is just natural for us to want to change our whole appearence. We have been given this chance to be the person we knew we really were all along. For some reason I now feel I have the Right to dress in such a way as I never would have before, and people are OK with it. My personality is still the same, except for increased confidence and self esteem, but I am definetly noticing change through my activity level and looks. I say we should welcome this new life with open arms and enjoy the ride..it is only going to get better. Have a great day!!
Kim C.
on 6/18/03 10:15 am - Macon, Il
Topic: I feel so thin!!!
I had surgery 1/28/03 and have dropped 79 lbs as of today. I am wearing a size 14 (down from 24) and am feeling wonderful. I look in the mirror and can't believe it is me. This is the best thing I could have ever done!!!
Michele W.
on 6/16/03 7:09 pm - PA
Topic: I can't believe its me!
I can't believe its me looking at myself in the mirror. I had RNY lap on January 2. 2003 and I feel great. I think this was the best decision I could've made. I am now 5 months (going on 6) post op and I feel incredible. I have not experienced dumping yet (knock on wood), I can eat just about anything I want. So far I have tried everything from pasta (carbs galore) to candy (sugar galore) and have had no reaction. I only tried the candy to see if I would get sick and thank goodness I didn't. But I will never eat it again. I have eaten pizza on a rare occasion with no ill feelings. But one thing I am so scared to try is soda. I want to so bad but scared I might blow up my stomach or something. Since the surgery I am down 95 lbs and counting. I am starting to slow up a little which is a little discouraging but I look at where I started and where I am and get all bubbly and happy inside. I just can't believe it me!! I exercise at least 6 times a week, taking Sunday off to rest, and have seen dramatic inches lost results. So I guess the exercise is working. There are some days when I don't feel like excersing but I notice if I don't do it my loss isn't as high as it is if I would've exercised. But congrats to all who have loss and found a new person within themselves. I say we keep up the good work and good things will come our way. Its also encouraging to read this message board and see what everyone else is doing to stay on the losing side. I think maybe I might look into some protein bars or shakes and see if that makes a difference in my losing pace. Once again Keep up the good work!! I am truly so happy that I did this. Now my husband can't keep up with me. I never thought that day would ever come. LOL
Masak
on 6/16/03 4:40 am - Nikiski, AK
Topic: RE: I'm A Work In Progress !
Brenda~ain't it great! I'm also 43 and wearing size 18's is too funny for me. Never thought I'd be here, but thank God for the surgeon and the surgery. It has changed my life dramatically. I have so much energy, I can only imagine I will be going non-stop when I get to goal (another 85 pounds). Good luck and CONGRATULATIONS!
cinnamongirl
on 6/15/03 3:28 am - Easton, PA
Topic: I'm A Work In Progress !
There's so many things that have happened to me since the surgery and all of them positive ! Since having my surgery on Jan 2nd , I have lost 80 lbs. I have become active and enjoy biking, walking and exercise in general. One of the biggest plusses of this whole expierience is to see people who've known me all my life do a double take when they see me as if though their thinking "I know that woman, I think ?" Then being able to go from wearing a size 3x or 30-32's into a size 16-18 is incredible ! For the first time in my adult life I can walk into a regular sized clothing store and buy things off the rack. No more asking "where's your plus size department ?" My self esteem has sky rocketed. Most of my adult life I wouldn't ( couldn't ) look at myself in a mirror because I hated what I saw staring back at me but now I pose for pictures and smlie when I see my image in a store window as I walk by. At age 43 I finally like me. I can even go as far as saying "I'm not bad and kinda cute for my age !"Lol What a difference this surgery has made in my life and if I had it to do over again, without batting an eyelash I'd do it ! This surgery has allowed me to reclaim something that I had lost many years ago.................me !
Paul A.
on 6/14/03 6:58 pm - Towaco, NJ
Topic: What are the most dramatic differences in your life since the surgery?
I know that for myself, quite a bit has changed in my life since I have had the surgery. Perhaps, for me, it is a combination of a few things and not just the result of the operation; but I have a feeling that the psychological effects of this operation are much more dramatic than people have anticipated, and that I am not alone in this. I am 48 years old, and I travel globally about 75% of the time as part of my job. Walking through airports was a virtual hell for me. Half the time I would get a handicap cart to drive me. Since the operation I walk everywhere and feel great. I think this was the beginning of the change. I started feeling really good about myself. I dyed my hair and grew it into a ponytail. I got an earring. I learned to ride and went out and bought a motorcycle. And this is just the beginning, there is quite a bit more. I don't think that this can all be attributed to a midlife crisis. I believe that it may be a NEW LIFE adjustment. I would love to know if others have experienced similar changes since their op. Your thoughts???
Paul A.
on 6/14/03 6:35 pm - Towaco, NJ
Topic: RE: I DONE IT!!!
Sarah, You now have a new life. ENJOY IT TO THE MAX!!! I convinced myself to do mine when I went to Universal studios theme park in Orlando last October, and couldn't go on a single rollercoaster with my son (something we always used to do) because I could no longer fit in any of the seats. We both changed our lives, and it is a miracle that we could do it. Best of luck - FOREVER!!
Paul A.
on 6/14/03 6:30 pm - Towaco, NJ
Topic: RE: What is everyone eating now days?
After reading what everyone is eating, I am feeling somewhat ashamed to write this. I am basically able to eat what I want. Although my desire for carbs: bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, etc. is pretty much gone. I guess that it is true that carbs are an addiction; and if you can break the habit, you don't want them. When I was first post-op, I did have chicken broth, and after about 2 weeks I would put in a wonton or two. Now I rarely, if ever have any pasta of any kind (although I did have a small amount of vegetable lasagna the other night at a party). I have even switched from su****o sashimi to avoid the rice. Breakfast is usualy one of these: protein bar with a cup of yogurt; or protein shake with fruit; or cheese and fruit; or a chicken breast and some fruit; or 3 small pork cutlets with cheese melted on them; or 2 eggs and some cottage cheese and fruit; or today I tried 4 Healthy choice breakfast sausage patties with cheese melted on top and some fruit. I snack on beef jerky, or fruit, or sugar free Popsicle or Fudgsicle bars. I travel for business a lot so Lunch can be the same as the choices for breakfast; or maybe an order of Chinese chicken with eggplant ( that usually lasts for about 3 meals); or anything at a restaurant: steak, chicken, or seafood, usually starting with a salad. No bread, no alcohol (thanks to the Rizulin I was taking for my diabetes, my liver is screwed and I can no longer drink any alcohol at all - ever); and maybe some fruit for desert, if I still want something. Dinner is the same as choices for lunch. At night I snack on WATERMELON (lots of it, as it runs through your system - and keeps your system running right along with it- if you get my point), and Popsicle bars. As you can imagine, I have slowed down my weight loss to about 10 lbs a month. I have lost 93 lbs, thusfar; but I am happy to see that I can continue to live my life very happily losing at this rate. Every once in a while I will dump if I have overeaten and feel pain, but that is not often at all (as long as I keep away from very spicy Indian food; as that is an instant dump) Fat is not a problem at all, and I don't really eat any sugar to speak of, so I couldn't tell you about that.
F C.
on 6/12/03 4:41 pm - ALTA LOMA, CA
Topic: RE: To exercise or not to exercise...
I also go to Curves three to four times a week and walk on the days that I do not go to Curves. I look forward to the exercise as I can do it without huffing and puffing!!!
F C.
on 6/12/03 4:39 pm - ALTA LOMA, CA
Topic: RE: What is everyone eating now days?
My surg date was Jan 20,2003 and I am down 85 lbs. I have slowed down a bit and I have started having a protein shake in the morning. I eat yogurt and lots o fruit. I have some dificulty with pasta but other than that I can have anything. My dinner is usually yogurt and cut up apple mixed together-yummy. I have not tried anything sweet really but I do love sugar free popsicle.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi I had surgery 5 y...
suzann_1_abers · 1 replies · 680 views
Had a baby now can't lose weight
Dawn D. · 3 replies · 785 views
Help me break my Platue!
Annette M. · 0 replies · 472 views
I'm thin and I'm lovin it
Donna L. · 0 replies · 542 views
" No Support"
Princess03 · 2 replies · 691 views